This is the rear steer ram cylinder where it connects to the spindle. It actually should connect at the rear of the spidle arm behind the center bearing with the messed up circlip.
Did 3 of those last year. What happens is the tapered pin gets loose in the spindle and starts to rock. Then it shears off the threaded part on top and when the cylinder gets loose it breaks off the top of the pin that slides thru the cylinder bearing. One I worked on sheared off the bracket that holds the hyd lines to the drive motor. Wiped out a couple lines. Had to replace two of the spindles due to excessive wear in the taper. Wouldnt hold the pin correctly. Not a fun job!
How does Gradall steering hold up if taken care of? What do you look at when buying used Gradall in the rear? THanks.
Just spray some of that mass air flow sensor cleaner on it. It'll be good as new.
I've been driving these for over 6 years and have only seen this happen once. I have seen the the center bearing weld break away from the axle on top also.