Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grade Beam Problems

semipro ยท 2008-08-18 23:58

I made up a grade beam and fixed it with cleats so I could grab it just like I want and when it works can move alot of material, fast--but the [unintentional] in-curl on bucket and resulting pressure relief on thumb allow it to gradually creep inward resulting in bucket bottom scraping ground and beam up in the air [at about 5 feet in front of blade]...and I constantly have to re-adjust--DAMN!! Is it me/the controls...or what? [The salesman said I may be able to install a cutoff valve on bucket curl function hose, but has to check with manufacturer].

Replies10
  1. #1coopers2008-08-19 00:39

    I'm a little confused by the description. So you grading, the stick is coming in toward you and the bucket bottom side scrapes the ground with the teeth of the bucket pointing toward the cab and the beam bottom facing you in the cab? I know the annoying thing with the beams is that if you're not paying too much attention you'll put pressure on the beam as you are pushing down on the stick and inward which causes the bucket and thumb to slip and hitting the bottom of the beam and causing teeth to dig into the ground....

  2. #2coopers2008-08-19 00:43

    So does the machine end up looking somewhat like this, with the bucket curled in and the beam in and up? Or something different?

  3. #3semipro2008-08-19 01:35

    Yeh--10k size version.... but just like that--[with beam in there]--and I wanted/started with it [out-curled] pointed straight out, so when i get close to blade, beam is just starting to arc up.

  4. #4CascadeScaper2008-08-19 02:24

    When beaming toward the machine, you need to roll the bucket out and thumb out at the same time. The stick travels in an arc, so to hold the same position on the ground with the beam, you need to adjust it's angle in relation to the stick on it's way in. Easiest way to do this is activate and hold the thumb function while rolling the bucket out when you're on the way in. If you hold the thumb valve down for long periods of time, it won't hurt anything. That way you always have constant pressure between the thumb and bucket and you can just roll the bucket out without losing the beam. Make sense? Where you at in the Seattle area? If you'd like, I may be able to come out and show you what I'm talking about if my description in words doesn't help.

  5. #5semipro2008-08-19 10:48

    Hold thumb down Duh--didn't think of that. I guess when I manipulate the bucket curl/boom control--I unintentionally curl it in. I started using just 2 fingers on it, snapping straight back and seemed to be working better---but holding pressure on thumb tip is great! One thought--will holding thumb down decrease power to pull/rake in? The thing is--a few months ago I used a rental unit for most of the rough grading--and didn,t have the problem [did have prob of thumb bleeding and beam falling out]. This control has zero play in it. [Oh--it's a JCB 8040...ouch--I been hearing they are the "KIA's" of heavy equipment] I don't know if that's true--I have 270 hrs on it so far and except for the fiberglass hood covers and some hydraulic leaks, I like it and the Everett Brim tractor folks are the best! Yeh--if you're working near here drop by [or just buy the place!] http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/reo/800527065.html

  6. #6Canadian_digger2008-08-19 20:05

    You have some hydraulic leaks with only 270hrs on your machine!!:Banghead:eek2

  7. #7coopers2008-08-19 22:13

    Cascade said it right on the head. I was going there next. That's one thing I didn't do when I first started,then I realized I could keep the thumb button pressed to keep constant pressure and wow, it worked! It will not decrease power either btw.

  8. #8minimax2008-08-24 21:05

    On a non link thumb you could be droping the beam because of the thumb is out or travel. minimax

  9. #9coopers2008-08-25 22:43

    Yes that is true, didn't think of that.

  10. #10semipro2008-08-26 23:39

    Dropping the beam Actually--[every time I say that I picture Luanne]--dropping the beam was on a rental IHI unit. I got sidetracked from grading do to lots of rain, so have not tried new technique yet--but I got about a (overnight) 1/4 cup fluid leak out of the thumb cylinder (and about 6 of the servo's + the isolator valve)--and more while working.:Banghead Brim Tractor has acknowledged that the JCB 8040's are having problems across the board with leaks--I'm hoping they will have it all tweaked out on them for when I bring mine in for the 500 hr warranty service--then It'll be all bluebirds and sunshine. :throwup Except for that I do like the machine.