Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grader Concept

stretch ยท 2008-11-08 12:19

As some of you may have seen in my thread about my 1/87 scale projects, I mixed a 627G cab/engine and the front half of a 16H grader and created what we jokingly call the "FrankenGrader." I was hoping to get some input from the blade operators on here about this model. (Sorry guys, unless you can shrink yourselves, you can't test drive it.:Banghead ) I can see some potential in mass excavation/mining applications. Functions perform just as they do on a regular grader, including ditching/sloping and four-wheel drive. It can also make some pretty tight turns and it has the capability to carry auxilary blades and rippers, not that I've put them on yet. Of course, I can also see some cons with the design, such as the operator has to look back (like on the pan) to see the blade. I see some potential for a new operator's school. Let's see what you guys think...future equipment line or just another concept? (I couldn't get it to upload the pic again, so here's the link: Post #116)

Replies17
  1. #1Eric2008-11-08 14:18

    Interesting, I don't think it would be to practical, not trying to bust yer bubble, just my .02. The cool thing is that people like you come up with some really great ideas that lead to new technology, so don't quit thinkin cause ** a knucklehead like me! By the way it does LOOK really cool.

  2. #2JDOFMEMI2008-11-08 15:07

    This concept has already been done, at least somewhat. There are several examples, but the closest is the Raygo Giant from the late 60's / early 70's. It had a straight blade in the center, and articulated at each end with what looked to be a copy of a Terex scraper tractor at each end. You controlled the blade angle by articulating the two tractors at different angles. It never really caught on. ACCO in Italy made something similar, and CMI had a grader with an articulated set of tandems in the front with its own powerplant. These never caught on either, as their use is too limited.

  3. #3stretch2008-11-08 18:58

    Thank you guys. I have seen the RayGo/CMI machines and the differences between them and mine would be full grader control (including ditching/sloping) and that the cab is up front instead of in the back and up high, which would definitely create some visibilty problems. The market potential would probably be similar as those: grading over large areas/long distances such as on haul roads or in cut/fill areas on large construction projects. Would the market share possibly be a bit more since this machine is more manuverable and is a smaller size (transport costs, etc.)? Once again, thanks for the input. Sure like to hear some more opinions. :usa

  4. #4Vantage_TeS2008-11-08 19:12

    Having the cab in front is your downfall. I don't know if you've ever run anything with a blade but you basically watch your blade the whole time with a quick glance up to make sure you aren't running anything/one over. You could overcome the having to look back constantly problem buy having the blade on full auto GPS but that's not really a solution to the problem, only a bandaid fix. I really don't see any benifit to this design over say a 143 which is all wheel drive and can articulate. They already have these in production and the cab is at the rear where you can watch your blade.

  5. #5Northart2008-11-15 00:05

    Concept ? The 6 wheel drive Graders have addressed everything you are envisioning. Graders normally work dirt 12" of less. Beyond that it is, dozer work, scraper, or other equipment . Behind the pulling unit, function, is of the, box and drag scrapers for landscaping and smoothing of roads. The seperate power unit up front ala, Raygo and ACCO are great for manuevering loads ,like a dozer. But here is the problem, trying to make a ONE machine to DO IT ALL . Much like the Military,having, Sonar, Radar, searchlights, Machine guns,Lifting eyes,multifuel engines,missile launchers, etc , on everything they have . It gets so diluted that it becomes a Rube Goldberg invention of little use. Cons't is done in stages, with specific machines for optimal performance. Your machine needs weight in the rear , otherwise it will float. The Operator position of being forward, needs to spend 95+% of his time looking to the rear. Oh my aching neck ! Nothing wrong in fantasizing , new ?? concepts, Ive done that myself !

  6. #6stretch2008-11-15 17:50

    THanks guys. Back to the drawing board!

  7. #7Wyoming2008-11-16 15:57

    I ran a machine similar to the Raygo Giant but it was custom built for western contractors out of a twin axel Euclid scraper, operator sat up really high. Was used to dress the fill on I-5 south of Gorman. They also had a quad nine push cat operator sat on front tractor was fun to run and had unbelievable power. I wish now I had taken pictures....:beatsme

  8. #8stretch2008-11-16 16:41

    Did that grader originally come from Harris Construction/Johnson Bros. Contractors?

  9. #9Wyoming2008-11-16 16:49

    I was told it was custom built for Western contractors stretch I dont have any more info sorry. It was used on what was the largest freeway fill of the time, This was in 1961 as I recall.

  10. #10stretch2008-11-16 16:51

    Thanks, I think I may have a pic of it, there could have been more than one for all I know.

  11. #11Wyoming2008-11-16 16:59

    Hay I would love to see a pic if you have one it has been 48 years since I ran it so not sure I would recognize it if I see it. Senility ya know....:lmao :Banghead

  12. #12Northart2008-11-17 00:19

    Harris Raygo ? Check out the old post , here on HEF's . Scroll down to post #7. Has the pictures of the Raygo Giant and Harris Grader.

  13. #13JDOFMEMI2008-11-17 00:47

    Northart Thanks for the link. I thought those were on here, just did not take enough time to search for them.

  14. #14Wyoming2008-11-17 11:51

    Northart Not sure if this is the one I am talking about, it may well be. It seems the cab was a lot higher but it was 42 year's ago. Thanks for the link in any case.

  15. #15stretch2010-11-26 20:09

    Hey guys, I'm dredging this up after some screwing around on Google images. Check it out: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...age=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0&tx=152&ty=77 I'll be damned... :beatsme

  16. #16JDOFMEMI2010-11-26 20:18

    There is a great write up with pictures and videos on SoCal Earthmovers. Check it out: http://socalearthmovers.com/forum/index.php?topic=220.0

  17. #1795zIV2010-11-26 20:31

    Here's a minor discussion about these stretch: