I know that most of the models, such as the 12,14,16, and 14 are based on the length of the blades, but what about models such as the 140 and 160? How did they get those numbers? And Vantage TeS mentioned a 143? IMO, that seems rather oddball.
and 143 is the all wheel drive version of a 14, although the 120, 140 and 160 have optional all wheel drive packages (makes sense right??). They only make a 143 now, but they used to make a 163 as well. I believe the M series is the first time a 120 will have the all wheel drive option.
Thanks again!
The numbers have nothing to do with blade size. You can get different size blades on all machines.The 143 is the all wheel drive version of the 140. In the M series all wheel drive machines do not have their own numbers.
Beg to differ 66ken, blade length was the original determining factor in model number. A 12 or a 120 was almost always equipped with a 12' blade, the 14 or 140 with a 14' and so on. The blade length is one thing that has remained fairly constant. Tis true that different length blades can be mounted these days, many contractors have modified their machines blade lengths to suit the work they have at hand. The factory can also accommodate some different lengths depending on orders.
The numbers with the zero on the end have less horsepower, weigh less and have a smaller blade, 14h=14 ft blade, 140m=12 ft blade. I thought all that was explained in the last grader question. chart from the cat web site, just type in cat and you will find it.
I think you will find most machines have differant options of blades depending on country of origin and source of where they are made it really depends on our application....we just got quoted a 120M with a 12 and 14 foot blade
I hear from our Parts rep Cat have bolt on 2' blade extensions left or right option. Seems like a good option if you dont need 14' all the time!
The county here has 140Hs equipt with 14ft moulboard and a 2ft extention
Phew 14' Blade with 2' extension on a 140H or 140M, how does it perform??
do you install the 2 foot extension on the toe end or the heal end of the blade ?? wouldnt it bend under load ?
Extensions were offered on my AW 300 back in 1973. it came with a 13' blade and offered 2, 2' extensions on both ends for a total of up to 17'.
I had 2 foot extension on the 140g cat that was mounted on the right side. It has a rugged brace that hooked to the top of the moldboard and another brace on the bottom. Depends on which way your blade is angled when determining the toe and heel. I liked it on the right because it was easier to get the blade under the machine when high lifting the moldboard to the right. My extension held up well, but you had to use a little common sense when using it. For example when ditching I would always try to use the other side of my blade when cutting the ditch line, especially making heavy cuts. I wouldn't put a lot of pressure on the extension itself as it was the weakest link so to speak. After years of running the extension it did bend some though. Depending on what you do and how you use it will determine how long it will last.
Thanks for info
Blade extensions CAT Graders Sounds like a good alternative to a 14 foot blade
I've mounted our 2' extension to our 14' blade and i love it. Now i cover half of the road in one single pass. And my angle is perfect. Still has some to go on too. But i already see the problem with getting it to last. Seems my welder got to do some more smart solutions on the brackets. Power? No problem at all, with the constantpressuresystem its just to adjust the pressure, and hit the pedal. But then, its not a 140M....
MKTEF, would there be any chance of snaping a few pictures of your extension? I would just like to see how it compares with the one that I had.
I'll take some shots tomorrow morning. Its a Volvo standard extension. Its exactly like the ones we had for our Champions. Exept theese is for a higher blade....the old ones didn't fit....
I have a customer running a 12' moldboard with 1' extensions on each end. Thats 14' of board on a 15,000 pound grader. Guess it all comes down to what your grading.
Here u go. Volvo's do it your self kit. Welded together to fit our graders. Lowest bracket on the mainblade is factory fitted, the other is welded on. Both brackets on the extension is welded on. Main bolts supplied had threads all the way down to the head, our mecanics is searching for bolts with a flange as thick as the two brackets. I'm thinking of adding a plate on the top of the main blade brackets to take the forces, instead of transfering everything as shear forces to the bolts. Any other tips on the go?
MKTEF, it might not make a lot of difference but I would switch your cutting edge so the splice was not at the same spot as the extension.
Thanks for the advice You see i thought of that when i mounted it... But, its not in line after some hours of grading... And the quickmounting plate is also not corresponding exactly. I'll have to take a closer look at the mainbolts and do some other modifications... The parts is not very exact on tollerance too. There is some difference in the blade curve, height and such...
Looks like the same setup as we have. Thanks for posting the pictures!
Rear-wheel Tandem Drive Feature I will preface my question with a disclaimer, I am not a HE operator but rather an instructional designer developing a course for engineer equipment chiefs. While writing a lesson on the CAT 130G and 120M grader capabilities I have run across a concept for which I can't find a lot of information and can't really wrap my arms around (though I know it is something simple that I am just missing) ---- the rear wheel tandem drive feature. Not to totally exploit the vast experience of this board, but I was wondering if anyone could explain this feature to me "like I am a 3rd grader". I currently have this information in the works: The grader’s tractor unit drives four, single-axle, rear-mounted wheels in tandem pairs through gears and chains. The rear-wheel tandem drive feature, which allows for selectively raising and lowering individual wheels while keeping the others level with the front tires, helps the equipment climb over rocks, logs, or humps and holds it steady in uneven terrain. This is an important capability. If the grader does not rise and fall when working uneven terrain, the grader blade does not vary its elevation as it passes over its work Thanks in advance to anyone who has the time to transfer a nugget of their knowledge to me~ Cassie
Look at any tandem drive truck paying attention to the center tube that the rear springs or walking beam connects to and you should be able to grasp the concept of the individual wheels rising and lowering to adjust to the terrain.Notice also as one wheel rises the wheel on the other end of the spring goes the opposite way. The grader with tandems will work the same way. Getting power to the rear wheels is a simple driven sprocket between the tandems with a drive chain to each individual wheel like a bicycle wheel is connected by sprockets and a chain.That arrangement will not inhibit the wheels from oscillating about the center drive sprocket while maintaining power to each wheel.Ron G
Your terminology about selectively raising and lowering the wheels makes it sound like it is a function that can be controlled by the operator. Your description should be more clear as to the wheels being allowed to pivot about a center point between them independently without any control input.
Inside the tandem Oscillation is the correct term as to how the rear wheel "walk over" material and objects. I’m attaching a few slides from our sales training to give you a look into the inner works of a tandem assembly. If you have any specific questions just ask.