Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

grader crossing rope bridge

norite ยท 2014-03-28 00:16

Hopefully this hasn't already been posted here before, somebody sent me this video. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=372967746087504

Replies9
  1. #1Ronsii2014-03-28 01:11

    Pretty good rope in that bridge

  2. #2biggrader2014-03-29 20:41

    Nope, not me!!!!!!!. I'd buy another grader and just leave it on the other side or wait for the water to go down and take the river crossing.

  3. #3RZucker2014-03-29 23:11

    I wouldnt do it, thats for sure!

  4. #4Curbster2014-03-29 23:43

    Yes, I don't know of any experienced grader operators who would do this, whether they could or not, is immaterial as the overall risks and safety issues would far outweigh any such misadventure. You can hear the fellow on the ground screaming directives at the other guy in the grader, (something that I would not tolerate!) and the guy steering the grader sets up wrong on his initial approach! I do hope he has some type of life insurance as the probability of needing it seems very high.

  5. #5td25c2014-03-30 10:37

    Yeah that's pretty wild ! We had another thread showing the video . HeavyEquipmentForums

  6. #6wilko2014-03-30 12:30

    That kind of thing is why the average life expectancy is so low in these places.

  7. #7greggn2014-04-04 09:18

    I would not even drive my Wheel Horse across that bridge! :drinkup

  8. #8Scrub Puller2014-04-04 10:50

    Yair . . . Pretty scary alright. You have to remember thought that a different mindset applies in those sort of countries. If you work there in (the local economy) any notion of "safety" and "normal" operation of equipment is soon tossed out the window. In PNG excavators and backhoes are routinely loaded onto normal flat bed trucks with no ramps . . . the front wheels of the truck are often six feet in the air. So too crossing ravines and rivers. Wartime American and Aussie engineers devised a system where extra rims were bolted to the outside of the jeep wheels and the vehicle drove across on two tensioned steel cables. I believe this system was still in use in a few places right up to the eighties. Cheers.

  9. #9Delmer2014-04-04 11:20

    I think it's actually the other way around, the life expectancy is so low that risking ones life is nothing. Probably had some influence on the wartime engineering too, though a jeep is a lot lighter than that grader.