Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grader Questions

Abscraperguy ยท 2010-01-07 00:56

I have only spent about 4-500 hrs on graders but I've never really figured out some things. 1. Can someone explain Cat's model number system. Most of my time was spent on a 14G but whats the difference between that machine and a 140G or 16G and 160. Some graders in maintenance fleets wear the VHP badge as well as the model number. What's the significance of that? 2. Someone on the forums recently talked about a non articulating grader. I've never seen one. How common are they? Do any of the big manufacturers (Deere, Volvo, Cat etc.) make any strait frames and if not when did they stop? Furthermore what would be the benefit of such? Would it be cost only?

Replies13
  1. #1Rob Baker2010-01-07 02:01

    McCarthy Heavy Equipment - Sany Graders South Africa Hi All. As a new member to the forum I would obviously like to introduce myself to everyone and especially the members in the Southern African countries and surrounds. McCarthy Heavy Equipment (subsiduary of Bidvest) import the Sany range of products - Graders, excavators compaction rolllers, Concrete boom trucks etc. The Sany PQ190 motor grader is powered by Cummins and develops 149 KW and has an operating weight of 18tonnes. The PQ190 has hydostatic drives - transmission is via Rexroth hydraulic pumps to a set of gears in each tandem, which means that there is no gearbox etc. This unit has been well excepted in the market and has shown fantastic fuel economy (between 14-16litres per hour, which is a saving of about 25-30% on like sized competitor units.

  2. #2ledsel2010-01-07 12:53

    Welcome abscraperguy. 1. I don't know much either about cats no. system but I know that a 160 is smaller than a 16G and the same with the 14G. 2. An articulating grader is a fairly new idea (well new to an old codger like myself plus the fact that I could never afford anything new) all older machines were ridgid. Some did steer front and back for example, Austin Western. All it means is that the strait frame does not have a hinge in the middle.

  3. #3cummins052010-01-07 13:10

    The champ 730 i run is a rigid frame for snow removal it sucks some side streets and alleys get tight. the artic machines can steer around most corners in one shot while i make three piont turns.

  4. #4Super Roel2010-01-07 13:18

    Hello Abscraperguy , So far as i now were the numbers 12to 20 for the graders ,by Caterpillar and a 12 has a 12 feet blade and a 14 a 14 feet blade and so on , the 120-130-140-160-were the cheaper ones for example a 12 G has a 135 Hp engine and a 120 G 125 Hp engine , but the 120-130-140-160 has a 12 feet blade so the has more power on a 12 feet blade than there are the 143 and 163 those have 6 wheel drive . VHP is Variabale Horse Power , the first two gears have per example 150 Hp and the higher gears 180 Hp .The older ones no 12-14-16 has no articulating , and steer only with the front wheels and need a lot of space to turn , after 1974 the G series have articulating . I hope you understand my English . Gretings , Roel .

  5. #5tripper_1742010-01-07 14:13

    The models you mention are different in respect to size. The 14G you are operating is 200 HP and weighs in without attachments at 45,610 lbs. The 140G, 150 HP and ranges between 31 and 33,000 lbs depending upon year and where it was built. The 16, if it's a straight 16...not G or H has 225 HP and weighs in just under 50,000 lbs. A G would have 275 HP and weigh about 60,000 while an H would have 275 HP and weigh about 55,000 lbs. Meanwhile a 160H is VHP has 180/200 HP and weighs about 34,500. All cat graders from 1947 (except the 212) came with a standard 12 foot moldboard until the early 60's when some 14's came out with a 13 footer and later on 14 footers. Then it gets more complex..:Banghead...120, 135, 12,140 H series came with 12 footers, 160 H with 14 footers. Apparently there is no rhyme or reason! I do know that a 12 footer handicaps a grader for most purposes. With any luck Randy Kreig will clear all of this up!

  6. #6RonG2010-01-07 15:20

    I think John Deere had the first articulated grader on the market.Ron G

  7. #7grandpa2010-01-07 19:11

    vhp stands for variable horsepower models

  8. #8Abscraperguy2010-01-07 20:16

    Ok my next question is what is the benefit of that?

  9. #9Grader4me2010-01-07 20:33

    You really don't need full horsepower in the lowest gears. It increases as you shift up to give you more in the higher gears. Also probably to save on fuel consumption as well. The Champion that I used to operate had VHP. First and second gears run in the lower horsepower and full kicked in at third gear on.

  10. #10CAT D9H2010-01-07 23:20

    model/blade length 12 12' 120 12' 14 14' 140 12' 16 16' 160 14' 24 24' Cats first articulated blade was the 16G in 1974 it was also the first hydraulic operated blade , im not sure but I think the 16G was also the first ever articulated blade , I think articulated blades are more common for a 12' class and up machine, I think that as soon as Cat came out with the 16G they never made a ridged frame machine again VHP Variable Horse Power

  11. #11tripper_1742010-01-08 11:15

    Cat, not to be argumentative :stirthepot but check out the Caterpillar Performance Handbook you have handy and it will confirm my original post.

  12. #12OC(Outside Cat)2010-01-08 12:03

    I think Ron G is correct, Deere had a hydraulic operated, articulated grader in the late 60's, or early 70's. OC

  13. #13tripper_1742010-01-08 12:25

    I believe it was the John Deere 570 in 1967 although maybe there were others somewhere else on the planet. I remember back in the day operators used to say that Cat owned John Deere, used them to test new ideas then used the perfected technology themselves. Of course this wasn't true...or was it???? :beatsme