After watching MKTEF's video the other day I thought maybe a thread of various videos would be good??? Here's one I shot yesterday while Speed Grading. If you've got some video, post it up. Nothing describes action better than video!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw35wu_0lXo
viedo Here's a short one I shot of a CAT140M AWD last summer doing gravel maintenance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0--Ho8FjXVw
Nice vids. Pretty good camera work for controlling that blade in the center and still getting the crap on one side.
video Here's another one of the CAT140M AWD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNJgNAre-40
video Here's one of our JD at night. The lights are actually better than the video implies. Please excuse the stupid radio noises, I forgot to turn it down until I stopped videoing, duhhhhh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwqbSrIZSDk
Nice videos. I'll have to try it when I'm plowing snow. Of course being careful not to run into the bushes
steering That's what impressed me about MKTEF's video, he's hauling butt pushing snow, running the camera with one hand and joystick steering with the other!!! A couple times you can see him make a pretty big adjustment with the steering like he might have wandered off a little while watching the camera or maybe got some front tire drift that he wasn't expecting. I'm hoping others will post some good snow video. For me, I don't want to wish for snow just so I can shoot video!!! Here's the video MKTEF posted on another thread, hope he doesn't mind me copying it here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVuiUEb2KiQ
Well, I have to say you're doing nothing toward convincing us that running a grader is difficult, lol!! You're grading at speed one handed and still plucking the grass out of the material. What a piece of cake......NOT!!
Speed Grading ? Hello Ovrszd, Watched all your video's. Your road material is totally different than ours'. I didn't see any pot holes, rutting, worthy of mention. I don't have a video camera. I'd just have to get you up here, to see the difference. What washboarding , pot holes,and ruts really are like. What natural gravel roads are like. Traffic speeds are 35mph average, depending on the condition. Graders carry a heavy windrow across the road and back again. No high speed summer road grading here, just for snow removal.
Nice videos Ovrszd. But as Northart says, there are totaly different conditions around. I beliewe that could be a topic of its own. The road you graded looked like a not so difficult task with no washboards and nearly no potholes. Grass was something though. That job told me that we are a step in front of you over here. My gravelspreader woud have made those two pases into one. The spreader would also have separated the grassroots out of the rest and moved them into the ditch. If they weren't destroyed. I would have used my spreader and done one pass in each direction, taking inn the edge of the road in each direction. I also notice that you are using the same technic as i am when laying out the gravel on the middle of the road. Lean it forward and keep the speed up, nearly 90 degrees angle to the road.
video Northart, MKTEF, yes I totally agree about different situations. I think I mentioned in the first video that sometimes my roads are in pretty bad shape and require more delicate attention. I'm making no claims to always grading the same way. It's just not possible. Each of my roads have a different personality, depending on traffic volume, amount of gravel, type of soil. Northart, I fully understand what you are dealing with, I've saw several pictures. Not going to do speed grading on those roads!!!! As I mentioned in the video, I'm blessed to be able to run my roads frequently. If we have a wet spring I'll deal with severely rutted roads but otherwise I'm usually doing light maintenance. Next spring I'll try to post up some videos of heavy material movement. I was hoping someone would post some they already have. I'll try to shoot some doing ditch work also. Probably going to have to create a camera holder for things like that though. Don't have enough hands!!! I'll shoot another video today when I go out about Deere's transmission smoothness. If you haven't been around a late model Deere you will be surprised how smooth it operates. Stand by for video this evening!!!
thanks Special thanks to Steve Frazier for giving us a site to have these discussions and share information. I'm always learning things here. Love the worldwide base of information.
We got the same problem as u. Joysticks dosent remove the needs for both hands for grading. Its very difficult to do grading and filming at the same time. You noticed some big corrections when i was doing ice grading, that was because i paid just a bit to much concentration on the camera for a couple of seconds. Not smart when in public traffic. I wouldn't film anything if conditions wherent right for the use of my constantpressuressystem and the steering wheel. The solution is to build a cameraholder. Filming will not be perfect, but will show what it shows. I'll do some engineering to find a god spot for the camera so it shows pictures taken in eye height/eye direction. Security has to be right when we are doing this kind of stuff. As goes with Steve, i think we should send him a delied christmas gift or something nice for the job he is doing here for us. He realy deserves it. And should often be reminded about how muche we apreciate the job.
Now this is something we all agree to! Thanks Steve for the great forum!
Thanks for the kind words guys, I enjoy it just as much as you do. It's you the members and the Moderators who make it as interesting as it is.
shifting Here's another video I shot yesterday demonstrating the transmission shifts of the JD 770D Grader. It's extremely smooth and extremely smart. I never change directions without throttling down and if on a steep hill always select a lower gear when backing up the hill. But I don't think the Grader would care. It will detect the amount of force required to move the machine and select the proper gear. If changing directions on level ground it will start in 4th and then gear up one at a time to whatever gear you have selected with the lever. If you select something lower than 4th of course it will go to that gear. It's similarly as smooth as my Dodge diesel 3500 truck when shifting up. Pretty amazing that it works so well. Sorry for the jerkiness of my video but again I'm holding the camera in my hand and when in 8th gear, running 26 mph. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3dLl6ttBaQ