Just a few pictures when I was plowing snow for a RM in Saskatchewan with a 2007 Cat 140H. We had 5" on Jan 1 and another 3" on Jan 3.
Realy nice pictures! And a beautifull view of the landscape. Looks to bee a well maintained grader too, with its own garrage.. A front blade or plow would have made the work more effective though. Thanks CAT140H!
Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing.
pics Great pictures!!! Looks like you run at a pretty fast speed also??? I usually push snow at 14mph.
I run at around 2000 RPM in 7th gear. That's about 19 miles per hour. If you try to go full RPM in 7th it hops and bounces to much.
Depending on how much you're pushing will dictate on how fast you can go. Also depends on the road surface. When the gravel roads are froze up good you can dog it right along. Speed plowing? Doesn't everyone do that?
Plowing is at max speed, as long as you have done your work before it freezes up. On some of my roads they have made new battle tanks crossings. Digged out a section of asphalt, and made a concrete pad over the road. Nice! Espesially when the concrete is a inch lower than the asphalt... Some of them are prittly level now.... By the way; nice avatar G4me. You've spend some time on Volvo's history site...
Yes I have MKTEF. Great site and I was taken by the grader in my avatar. I added the link to the site. Alot of great information there http://www.volvo.com/constructionequipment/global/en-gb/BAHome_ILF.htm
I understand Swedish very good, so i can give u all the details from the brochure Nice machine, yes. 1938modell. Its for speed grading, yes, it says so in the brochure! http://www.volvo.com/NR/rdonlyres/313FB669-FAEA-439D-823A-E9968BEDFA2D/0/MuC11261073907.pdf 2 sylinder, 2 stroke, 28hp. 32kmt. 3200kg bladepressure. Shure a beauty. Think of having your rumpsteak in this one instead of the old Cat 12. Heater, suspended seat, big windows, 3 window wipers, electric start..
Speedy All this speed grading/plowing talk boggles me. I plowed city for a few years with a grader and we never had the luxury of being able to go fast because of curbs and manholes....not to mention traffic.
city grading I hear ya!!! I've got a small village in the North end of my township. I sometimes grade their roads when they are rutted or have ice since they only have an old Cat 12. One time a few years ago I was crawling along at about 4mph and hit a sewer manhole. Killed the grader in it's tracks. When their roads are soft and I'm moving a lot of material I creep along. I have the highest respect for a grader operator that has to deal with all those issues on a daily basis. I only have an occassional mailbox and driveway to deal with. :notworthy
Generally if you kept the main blade rolled over/down, the manhole lids wouldn't pop up unless the road was real bad. Other issues to contend with were plowing cars parked along the boulevard, I'd plow tight to them and then get screamed at because the people couldn't get in their cars or they couldn't make it out into the road....Then theres the stalled ones that are stuck dead in the road during a blazing cant see a foot in front of your face storm... Lots of fun, oh ya...
All my snow plowing has been doing commercial lots and the like. Since I'm usually running tractors with trip edges, or loaders with box blades, and the owner gets paid per plow, it's go as fast as you can...... I've been fortunate, most places I get to know, and know any edges to be careful of. Couple years ago though, one of the guys was pushing banks back with a loader and didn't know about a fire hydrant.....fortunately teh valve itself stayed closed, but it was still an expensive touch to repair.
My speed when plowing snow. This year it seems like it wants to bounce more then last year.
Hey CAT140H what are you running for tire pressure? Sometimes if you play around with the tire pressure you can eliminate some of the bounce. Looks like you have a real nice machine there.
I agree with G4Me, tire pressure is critical, especially if you are running bias ply tires. I couldn't see your tires in any of your pics. Another thing I noticed about bias ply tires, the older they get, the more they bounce. I've been on radials for five years and would hate to go back to bias. But some operators swear by them. Another thing I've noticed is snow type changes my speed. Sometimes a small adjustment of 1-2 mph is necessary to find the sweet spot. Or sometimes I can change the pitch of the blade to eliminate bounce. Seems like each time I push I have to experiment and find the right setup, it's always a little different.
excellent pictures, looks like you have more snow then we do up in the great white north. thansk KoO Published Author
Plowing snow in Saskatchewan: Hello CAT140H, I plowed snow on I-90 last night, and since I didn't get home until about noon, and it was daylight... I took a few pictures of our county road. It didn't get hit as bad as the interstate... and it's been plowed a few times by the county grader... but I thought the resemblance to our areas was rather amazing... Montana. OCR
A few more. OCR
We are fortunate to have a Oneway Plow to try out at our RM. I never had one before so it was a treat to try it to see how it works. it worked really well for me. I'll include a couple of pictures. Thanks to the manufacturer for allowing us to try it.
The best One-Way there is!!! Hey Cat 140H, how do you like your Capital I plow? I have went 2 years on the cutting edge...... never need to constantly change blades or skid shoes with this tire system it has.It will handle alot of snow.I was pushing through snow with it coming over the fornt of the plow.That is why they made that Straight up piece of iron that the flag hangs on to cut the hard snow that comes over the plow so it will not rip off your front fenders! Excellent product from these guys ,I know them well. Let us know what you think!
I would be really interested to see more pictures of this one way plow.
roadrunner, I think the plow is pretty good and it works really well, to bad it's only here for a tryout.
Grade4me, I'm including a few photos so you can see how the Oneway plow looks like hooked to our Cat 140H.
Nice looking plow! I would like to try the wheel system instead of the shoes. Anyone know how long a set of wheels would last on the plow?
Wheels will last for as long as you keep the bearing packed with grease and plenty of air in the tires.This is the only way to go, because you know how many times you are replacing or even hard-surfacing your own shoes! One other thing we also put wheels on another plow that had shoes and it works very nice , no throwing stones all over.BUT go with a low profile tire and heavy duty rim so you have less soft sidewall(tire bounce).. roadrunner:cool2
roadrunner, do you have any close up pictures of the setup? I would like to rig one of our plows up with the wheels to compare. Thanks in advance for any additional info
Yes ,I will try to get some pics on here for you G4Me.Really quite simple set up. roadrunner
Page 3 shows a wheel setup from overaasen. http://www.overaasen.no//upload/plogbrosjyre-2003-NY.pdf I would suggest smal industrial wheels made for plowing equipment. You would want as low as possible bounse in the wheels.
Good site MKTEF, just wish my Grandfather taught me to read and speak Norwegian! Have a good one!:drinkup roadrunner
Yes it is a good site. Strangely, I found myself starting to understand the language...kidding! Picture is worth a thousand words though. One of the reasons for close up pictures is to see if the sleds compare and what kind of modifications would be involved. Some of our sleds set very low as we have different manufacturers that build them for us.
Get one of theese and u don't need a snowplow: http://www.overaasen.no/upload/Bilder TV 2000 OSL.pdf 1260hp for the blower, 650 for the wheels. This one blows 10-12 000 tons/h in 60km/h. 3.4m wide. Was a report on tv couple of days ago. Thats a beast! Specs: http://www.overaasen.no/visartikkel.asp?art=229