Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grading a gravel road

Michael4430 · 2020-06-14 14:58

Hey all, I’m looking for a Detailed explanation for a link to grading the road. What I’m looking for is from a beginning to end building or grading the road with a 4% crown. How are you position your graders through each pass you make where the dirt goes With each pass.

Replies12
  1. #1grandpa2020-06-15 07:19
  2. #2Michael44302020-06-15 12:55

    Hey thank you that was helpful I’m a former blade guy that workEd for El Paso County and I am a Senior equipment operator for the City of Colorado springs parks and recreation department. Great literature and information I can pass along to some other folks.

  3. #3tech12342020-06-15 18:32
  4. #4tech12342020-06-15 18:33
  5. #5Tones2020-06-15 19:59

    Another school of thought is to grade each side of the road into a centre window then with the blade straight flatten the window. The secret is not to leave a window on either side of the mouldboard. Depending on road width 3 passes is required

  6. #6Michael44302020-06-15 22:17

    Thanks

  7. #7Michael44302020-06-15 22:18

    Thank you very much

  8. #8Michael44302020-06-15 22:21

    Hey there again, just another point I really like the older videos and how they describe how to operate equipment. I currently am operating a 720 a series for champion motor grader. 1995.

  9. #920/802020-06-19 19:56

    I used to run a 720 series with a 12ft blade back in the day, those vids were great each one pretty much had the best it gets for roads to grade, its when the roads don't have the gravel to work with is when you will earn your pay making them right.

  10. #10ovrszd2020-06-25 08:36

    We get 65T of gravel per mile per year. We buy additional gravel to "spot" on the bad places. 65T per year doesn't go too far. We put it on in April. By the time Winter sets in I have very, very little loose gravel to work with. I'm ten miles from Iowa. They are County wide maintenance up there. Decatur County puts on 250T per mile. They ALWAYS have a windrow of loose gravel stored at the edge of the road. I NEVER have that. They prefer to blade their roads right after a rain. I can't blade mine until they dry because I'm usually moving dirt with the gravel.

  11. #11Engineer42552020-10-01 16:05

    Richard, is that 65T per lane mile?

  12. #12ovrszd2020-10-03 16:27

    That's 65T per mile of roadbed. Usually my roads are 20ft of gravel and additional 2-4ft of dirt shoulder. This varies of course dependent on terrain. I don't get enough gravel to maintain the graveled surface any wider.