Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grapple for Full Size TLB

Swetz ยท 2019-12-23 10:33

Hello All, As some of you know, I started a thread about which piece of equipment to buy first. well, it was decided that a backhoe would be most useful at this point. Anyhow, during the discussion it was suggested that I get a TLB with a 4 in 1 front loader bucket. I thought this was a great idea in that I will be carrying some trees that will later be cut into rounds for firewood. Anyhow, I have been searching the listings, and very few machines have a 4 in 1 front bucket. Then I was thinking, how about adding the grapple arms that I see on many of the skid steers. So, I did several searches, and found bolt-on grapples, but they mostly seem to be made for the smaller TLB's. I also did a search of this forum, and came up with nothing. The grapples that I saw for the smaller tractors looked like the would work awesome as an add on to a larger unit it they were substantially stronger. So, all the above stated, does anyone have any experience with a grapple attachment that could be added to the stock front bucket of a JD401e or New Holland B95 sized unit?

Replies60
  1. #1Tinkerer2019-12-23 11:18

    A quick Google image search came up with a few. Like this one. Awful pricey tho ! If you wait a while John Deere's come up for sale with 4 in 1 fel's. A 410E with a 4in1 would be a nice unit. A thumb on a backhoe would be a cheaper alternative. Not as versatile tho. http://www.excavatorthumb.com/mojo/mojo.php?attachment=backhoe+grapple+4&model=g72&gallery=usaa

  2. #2aighead2019-12-23 12:49

    I know it's not nearly as handy, but I can be not handy for as expensive as that grapple and the 4 in 1 buckets I've seen are, I've just dragged a lot of trees around the yard with a real beefy ratchet strap. I've not worried (too much) about weight on the loader side lifting the machine up or relatively narrow areas to move a very long (or wide, if it were grappled) tree through. I learned a lesson from watching my neighbor move some 25 foot long trees with his skid steer and forks that just barely cleared a couple areas width-wise. Though its a little unwieldy dragging them places hasn't been too bad, and I've dragged stuff that is probably 75 feet long. I'd love to have a thumb, just to organize my pile a bit better but the hoe side does that ok as is. Now that I've posted this it's got me thinking about moving full trees in this direction... Anyone tried 2 straps and picking up a tree horizontally like this? I'm thinking pull the loader up close, run a strap and hook around the trunk, then up to my hooking hole, then do the same thing a few feet down the way? I'm well aware of the luxuries of not getting off the machine but there may be some use to make piles nicer. Again, especially at the several thousand dollars of grapples or 4 in 1's. If you get one please let me know of your experience, it sounds like we are using our machines for pretty similar purposes.

  3. #3Swetz2019-12-23 13:06

    Tinkerer, Thanks soo much for the reply. That is exactly what I was talking about. I use Bing to search, and found nothing but similar units for small and mid size tractors with loaders. The price starts to make me wonder, maybe I should price a 4 in 1 add on. I am in the early stages of looking, but not many I have found locally have the 4 in 1 option. I really want to inspect what I am going to purchase prior to purchasing, that is why I am limiting my search to local.

  4. #4Tinkerer2019-12-23 13:07

    If you had a heavy duty thumb on your backhoe, aighead, you could maneuver long trees n logs very easily with it. I have no desire for a 4n1 since I installed my thumb. They are super handy for stacking a burn pile. Even when its burning.

  5. #5Swetz2019-12-23 13:13

    aighead, The chain hookup may be an option if I dont find a 4 in 1. The grapple that tinkerer found is quite spendy. To be honest, production is not the key in my work...heck, I will be retired soon and will have lots of time . Thanks for the reply!

  6. #6chroniekon2019-12-23 13:46

    For wood cutting I use a thumb and a 12" bucket. A 24" bucket is okay, but you're left with a piece in the center that has to be cut up on the ground.

  7. #7Swetz2019-12-23 14:40

    Chroniekon, That is good logic about bucket size. For my application, I will be using the front loader to carry logs long distances. The thumb will be another thing to look at in the future. I am like a kid in the candy store with machines.

  8. #8chroniekon2019-12-23 15:31

    I can carry a log or two if I bring them along side and run them parallel to the tractor. Not as good as a setup like you're thinking though.

  9. #9Billrog2019-12-23 16:17

    I welded a 10" cutting edge on my front bucket . With it I can pick up full trees or logs and pile them up. Smaller logs I can pick up 2 or 3 at a time. Never wanted a 4 in 1 because of reduced volume weight and if your not careful grabbing a rock or stump in the center can bend it.

  10. #10mowingman2019-12-23 17:11

    Go online and check out treetrader.com. Many companies making attachments advertise there to get nationwide exposure. There are some good brush/timber handling attachments listed. Jeff

  11. #11Swetz2019-12-23 17:39

    Billrog, Thanks for the info. It does make sense to not have a 4 in 1 at times I guess. I am so glad I joined this forum! The members here make you really think things through.

  12. #12Swetz2019-12-23 17:40

    Mowingman, That is quite the site...I am going to have to go through that site when I have some serous time...after the new year for sure. Thanks for the response.

  13. #13geminijo2019-12-24 11:56

    I purchased a set of 4' long clamp on forks for my front bucket for picking up logs and moving brush/slab wood it works quite well the only problem is you can't see what you're doing over the front bucket but with practice you can get pretty good at it.I believe I paid around $200.00 with shipping from Titan mfg.

  14. #14NH575E2019-12-24 12:32

    Just make sure and fill the loader bucket full of dirt or something before hauling anything with a backhoe thumb.

  15. #15Swetz2019-12-24 13:20

    geminijo, I know exactly what you mean about the forks. I have a set that clamp on my front loader on my New Holland TC33D. They are just ok to me. When I first got them they didn't want to stay straight. I welded a plate on them to drop in behind the bolt-on cutting edge, and now they stay straight. However, you are correct, you cannot see them over the bucket very well. I haven't used them enough to get proficient with them. I damn near ripped off my handrail at my house before I realized they hit them...luckily the wife didn't see it . The ones I purchased will not suffice for a full size loader, as I think they were only rated for a couple thousand pounds. On the same thought, perhaps a HD set that they make for a full size loader, the ones that mount on a bar mounted to the top of the bucket would suffice. I mean, I wouldn't be doing precision work, so seeing them is not that important like it would be if I was moving a pallet. Thanks for the suggestion!

  16. #16Tinkerer2019-12-24 13:27

    NH575E; Good advice for some machines. The Case 680 class front end loaders have a 1 1/4 bucket and sometimes have an optional ballast welded on it. Mine has the ballast. I haven't had a problem with carrying anything with the thumb. That would include some big trees.

  17. #17farmerlund2019-12-24 13:55

    https://www.na-attachments.com/product/excavator I have gotten grapples and other stuff from these guys. Ask for mike. They usually have a good price and a heavy duty product. The last one i did on a loader bucket came with weld on mounts. Can still be removed when not in use by just pulling the pins out and unhooking the hoses. Do you have the third function on your loader to run the 4 in 1 or grapple bucket?

  18. #18Swetz2019-12-24 14:42

    Tinkerer, Are you saying that you grab a large log and carry it a good distance (like acres) with the thumb on the backhoe. I would assume if you are, then rotate the boom to the side as cheroniekon talked about. I never thought about this for distance. It seems the weight over one side would make the tractor unstable?

  19. #19Swetz2019-12-24 14:47

    farmerlund, I do not have the tractor as of yet. I plan to purchase it in the first half of 2020. I am just researching options at this point. In another thread, we were discussing how useful the 4 in 1 loader bucket is, however, in my search for machines, they are not that common, so I was looking at other options to grab logs or stones, hence the discussion on grapples. I like the idea of being able to remove the grapple when needed. Prolly a good idea to use quick connects on the hydraulics if I do install one to make it easier to remove if need be. Thanks for the post!

  20. #20Tinkerer2019-12-24 15:31

    Yes Swetz, I can carry good sized logs for miles if I wanted to. On the farm nothing is too long. I can go thru gates or between trees easily by going through at an angle and manipulating the hoe at the same time. Most of the time I just extend the boom up for gates. Depends on how heavy the tree is. I do sometimes carry logs with the boom swung to the side. Boom all the way up and dipper nearly all the way in. Weight of the load is the limiting factor when carrying like that. I usually extend the stabilizer under the log / tree to help carry part of the weight.

  21. #21Swetz2019-12-24 16:58

    Tinkerer, That is great information. Although I have operated many types of equipment, and fixed many types of equipment for a living in the past, I am new to owning property that I will have to maintain. 43 acres is a bit more than the 1/2 acre I have lived on for the last 25 years. My application is a bit different than yours though. My property is mostly wooded, no farming is going on, but hearing from multiple people that it is safe to carry items in the back bucket over a distance is good info. With the knowledge that this thread has produced, I am not going to sweat it if I find a deal on a backhoe, but it doesn't have a 4 in 1 loader bucket. I now know that there are other options such as the grapple or a thumb. With this in mind, I can focus more on the condition of the tractor rather than exclude good units because they do not have a 4 in 1 loader. Thanks all!

  22. #22aighead2019-12-26 09:19

    Tinkerer, using the stabilizer as an arm is genius! It'd take me a billion years to think of that!

  23. #23Nick G2020-03-20 20:28

    Tinkerer, I'd really like to put a thumb on my 310SE. Did you build your own? Could you post pics? I'd like to build one. Then I need to figure out where to get the power for that hydraulic circuit. I do have an extendahoe. Thanks Nick

  24. #24Tinkerer2020-03-20 21:19

    I bought mine from Titan Industries, Nick. Their heavy duty model. The cheaper one bent too easily. Unfortunately mine is not hydraulic. mg2368 is the Deere expert. He will need your serial number to determine what you have. I'm sure he will read this along with other members that know about the hydraulic circuit on your machine.

  25. #25Nick G2020-03-20 23:24

    My SN is 848306. Thanks for the info on Titan.

  26. #26mg23612020-03-21 06:49

    To operate a thumb you would need to add a "sixth function" control valve section which I am not sure is still available in kit form. You would have to get individual parts to do that. You would have to add an auxiliary function (AT194368) plumbing kit to your machine as well. You may want to contact the company below to see what they offer. http://www.hctkits.com/

  27. #27Nick G2020-03-21 08:49

    mg2361, Thank you for the info. Sounds like a project to me

  28. #28Swetz2020-11-13 12:28

    Hello All, Lately I have been clearing trees on my property for my garage, and I am back to thinking about a grapple for the front bucket. Anyhow, I searched around again, and this time, in addition to the titan unit, and the one Tinkerer found, I came across another made by MDS Manufacturing out of South Dakota. My question is, does anyone have any experience with this company, good or bad? I called today, and was not impressed with the salesman...he kinda seemed to just want to hang up as I fired off questions. But, the unit looks like it would do exactly what I want, and it is made specifically for a full size TLB, as an add-on. The price I was quoted was $2995 plus freight, which the person told me is typically a couple hundred dollars (I did not ask for an exact quote). I was also told that the unit weighs approximately 500#. Link Below: https://mdsmfg.com/retro-fit-grapple/

  29. #29NH575E2020-11-13 12:49

    No experience with them but that unit doesn't look all that strong for that price. Have you thought out the hydraulics? I found a part number for a 4th spool but not sure how it could be used without building some sort of linkage. The setup for a 4 in 1 bucket would be ideal but I shudder to think what the cost and work involved in fitting it all would be. The way they split the hydraulics under the cab on our machines makes it very inaccessible. Might could use two diverter valves. I gave up thinking about it and just added the grapple to my small tractor. This grapple cost me $1260 delivered and I spent $280 on the diverter valve and fittings.

  30. #30NH575E2020-11-13 12:56

    This guy added one to a 555E but I never gained a clear understanding on how he used a single diverter valve. His hydraulics are probably configured different since he has an open station. He had his loader converted to skid steer which I think is too weak for our loaders. HeavyEquipmentForums

  31. #31Swetz2020-11-13 14:10

    NH575E, Thanks for the comment. I have thought a bit about the hydraulics, not a lot. I have 2 thoughts. 1. Tap into the unit hydraulics for the stabilizers, kinda like #4 below. I would run a electro/hydraulic valve with a relief and power beyond. 2. Install a 2-way, 12 volt hydraulic pump/motor. This would be an easy install, and would prolly be fine for the limited use (cycles) that the grapple would require. I would love to find one like the Titan that could have mounts welded to the top and sides of the bucket. First the Titan is only good for 84" and mine is 88", and second, the titan does not have a 3rd mount in the middle, which doesn't seem strong either. The NH675E has a nice flat top that would be great for mounts.

  32. #32Swetz2020-11-13 14:24

    NH575E, I forgot to mention that I really like the setup on your Deere. I also have a NH CUT that I could put the grapple on, but it does not have the quick connect bucket system, and adding a couple hundred pounds to the existing bucked (add-on grapple) would kill me as it only has a 900# lift now.

  33. #33NH575E2020-11-13 15:09

    You could add a couple of these? http://greens-machine.com/catalog/i2.html A machine shop could build one of these easily. If I were to consider it any further I was thinking about adding two selector valves on the curl cylinder circuits. It wouldn't work to just interrupt one side since that circuit splits at the SCV. I think it would work okay to tie them into a single switch and power source. I think the hoses are 3/8" with 1/2" (-8) ORFS ends. This is the valve I used on my JD. It has -8 ORB ports so should be easy to find adaptors and hoses to make it happen. All it needs is a 12V power source and a momentary switch. I used a starter button on mine but the amp draw is very low on these units. https://www.baileyhydraulics.com/SELECTOR-VALVE-SOLENOID-OPERATED At the end of the day I wonder how useful a grapple clamp would be on a bucket with closed sides?

  34. #34aighead2020-11-13 15:09

    I felt like I was going to be speaking out of place but I'm going to agree with @NH575E and say that unit looks to be a bit lacking in the oomph aspect. I don't know that I'd trust the bolt on tines to not bend all out of whack or bend the bar they are attached to... I also don't know what I'm talking about... @NH575E that's a cute little guy! Could be handy!

  35. #35Swetz2020-11-13 15:34

    The reason I was looking at the stabilizer circuit is because it has a lower GPM than the backhoe circuit, and, you wouldn't need to operate the stabilizers or backhoe extension when using the loader, thus you would maintain full front loader operation. I hear you on the grapple bucket being the hot setup, but I will really need the loader bucket for all the dirt and stone I will be moving, and switching them out without the quick system would really suck. As far as strength, I really do not know. It does have a 4-point weld-on mounting system, and the tines are mounted to a 2"x4"x1/4" wall tubing. I am not sure how much strength i would need on trees. I guess trying to grab a 3k# rock could be a bit different tho. At 500#, I really wouldn't want to add too much more weight than that to the loader bucket. I hope someone on here has dealt with this company so they can say they had a poor or great experience. It would be even better if someone on here has this setup and can comment.

  36. #36NH575E2020-11-13 19:09

    The port size on the stabilizer control is -14 ORB. Just saying.

  37. #37mitch5042020-11-13 20:46

    Trees can really destroy a thumb or grapple, and whatever it's mounted to. You have so much leverage, 25' of tree sticking out one side catches on something, you're done if it is clamped tight. I have seen that destroy the stick on a big excavator, before the "operator" knew anything was wrong.

  38. #38Swetz2020-11-14 07:48

    NH575E, I get your point, there will be way more flow in the stabilizer circuit than I need, with a 16GPM rating on that back pump (not all goes to the stabilizers tho, because of the priority for steering). A flow control could be mounted in line to take care of this, and the excess oil could be routed back in the system as it normally would be. The things we discuss here are the reason that I was thinking, why not just mount an electric driven pump up under the chassis, with a toggle switch attached to the loader control stick, and keep the tractor hydraulics intact. To me, the cost would be much better as well. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200335621_200335621

  39. #39NH575E2020-11-14 08:46

    I wonder if one could use one of these cheap pumps from Amazon. They are a little short on giving specifications and seems most have British fittings but Parker has adapters. https://www.amazon.com/12-volt-hydraulic-pump/s?k=12+volt+hydraulic+pump

  40. #40Swetz2020-11-14 08:56

    mitch504, I am not thinking I would be using the grapple to move 30' pieces of trunk. I am more talking about the branches that I cut off the trunk, kinda like the pic below (not a real good pic but the only one I have). You can see the main trunks off on the left. Those I cut down to ~10' pieces and stack for firewood.

  41. #41Swetz2020-11-14 09:06

    NH575E, I think if one chose a 2-way pump, it would work fine. I do like the ones with plastic reservoir tho because they don't rust. I have the same thing on my dump on my truck and have had is over 12 years without a hitch. They have an adjustable relief that could be set around 3k#. they have the volume of oil (I calculated the 2 cylinders would take less than a gallon of oil), and at a couple GPM, the grapple shouldn't be to fast. To me, this seems like it would work just fine.

  42. #42Tags2020-11-14 09:44

    My opinion would be if it's on the machine and you need to move something that maybe too big, you're going to try and grab it, it's just the way it goes. Plus, if you're going to go through all the trouble to get one and set up the valving and hoses and switches I would also probably try to spend a little more for something that will take abuse rather than trying not to abuse it. Remember, it also needs to handle the weight of the machine and the bucket forces applied...not trying to spend your money, I'm just speaking from experience....

  43. #43NH575E2020-11-14 10:30

    I think those plastic tank units are all single acting. You would have to use them with a open center directional valve. Edit: Looks like these are ALL gravity down so you will need a open center valve inline. The double solenoid unit wouldn't provide any advantage. This eBay listing has more info than some of the Amazon ads. It says double acting but the description says power up, gravity down. Sounds like this seller includes the port adapters. Looks like the duty cycle is not sufficient for grapple use. https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-DC-Dou...122686?hash=item2ae83fd07e:g:IBcAAOSwdYpetkO0

  44. #44Swetz2020-11-14 10:51

    Tags, You are correct, if it is there you will use it, that is human nature. I know very little about grapples, and was hoping that someone that used MDS would be able to chime in. Maybe I am just being lazy, and should just continue to hand cut and drag the branches as I have been. I will prolly be done with the project before I would get the grapple mounted anyhow. I guess getting older and waking up sore several days in a row has me thinking of another way to work. If I do put one on, I really wouldn't want light duty. This is a powerful tractor, an I don't want to add a new weak point for sure. I could add some reliefs in addition to the system relief to keep myself from doing something stupid I guess, kinda like is found on the backhoe.

  45. #45Swetz2020-11-14 11:07

    NH575E, Here is a 2-way unit with a plastic tank. Not as cheap but would work. I do not like the idea of a pendent to control it. I would wire the appropriate switch to the loader joystick so i could control it with the same hand as the loader. There is no load on the switch as there is a relay for the pump, so it shouldn't be a problem. https://www.amazon.com/KTI-Double-A...e+acting+hydraulic+pump&qid=1605369165&sr=8-9 Also, I did look at the grapple setup that was added in the thread you linked...I agree 100%, that is not heavy duty enough for our machines. I do have a Ford 445A that this would work perfect on as it is only rated at 3500# lift on the loader. It currently has issues though and I will not be fixing them until the garage is built and I have a place to work on it. I think a universal skid steer adaptor would be the ticket for that machine. It also has a remote off the 3-point hitch that could easily supply the exact hydraulic flow and pressure needed. And, as others pointed out, I wouldn't have the power to make the carnage that the 675E could create. In the case of adding a grapple to the 445A, I would go with the universal skid steer adaptor and purchase a whole grapple bucket assembly, not an add on.

  46. #46NH575E2020-11-14 11:27

    This eBay seller has what looks like the same 6 quart unit for half. https://www.ebay.com/itm/182849647498?1329315 Did you look at the link I placed for the Greens Machine Thumb ? It is made to weld or bolt to the top of a bucket. Not sure how wide it is but the 36" unit would span our buckets from top to bottom. Two of them would cost $1000.

  47. #47NH575E2020-11-14 12:39

    Check this out! Too bad they don't ship to US. https://www.jansen-versand.com/agri...er-silage-facer-bucket-bucket-crocodile-clamp And here is an add on that says it fits up to 84". http://www.haugenattachments.com/files/pdf/haugen-boltongrapples.pdf

  48. #48Check Break2020-11-14 19:58

    I started down this path four months ago, looked at a lot of grapples, asked a lot of questions, and when the sellers/dealers couldn't answer the questions, I went to the manufacturer. Most grapples are made out of light gauge mild steel. Pretty much a waste of money. I wanted something heavy duty and made out of high strength steel. There were two grapples that fit that description and I settled on the Bradco. Here's a link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bradco-72-...362613272790?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10 Need to check my notes but I think the tines are made out of T1, not Hardox. It's a universal skid steer mount so that raised another issue. I decided to install it on a Ford 445A that I bought cheap. The bucket pins were never greased so they need work. I got as far as burning out the parts for the skid steer mount but didn't get any work done on the loader frame. I'm going to make new hard lines and hoses and install an electric diverter valve on the torque tube. The Ford doesn't have a 4:1 bucket so the bucket roll circuit will connect to the diverter valve. The default setting will be bucket roll. When I energize the diverter valve, the grapple will open and close. A switch on the loader joystick is a PIA so I'm going to use the microswitch on the running board that controls the T/C dump valve. No one ever uses the Ford dump valve and they're always disconnected and in various stages of disrepair. Mine is no exception. So, there it is, of no practical value because it's not completed, but offered to show you where I'm headed, that is until I change my mind again. The Bradco grapple is overbuilt. The loader frame will suffer damage before it does, which is the way I want it, as I'll be the only one using it. It hurts to pay that much for a grapple then spend more to build a mount, but it will outlast me and won't need to be re-engineered and repaired down the road.

  49. #49Check Break2020-11-14 20:03

    Here's a link to the diverter valve. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077BMDX5R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

  50. #50Willie B2020-11-14 20:43

    I've never owned a loader grapple, or a 4 in one loader bucket. I'd like to have one, but the opportunity hasn't presented. I can't live without a thumb! It serves SO many functions! I have had two Case 580K. Mine have had Extend A Hoes. Commercial built thumbs don't work on these. First thumb, I repurposed part of a log loader claw. Despite cutting & altering its shape several times, it was a source of frustration. There were design shortcomings & failures in the cylinder. My current thumb is amazing if I do have to say so. I'd change it a bit, but it functions MUCH better than the last one. With a thumb, I can cut firewood off the ground, easily load 150 lb chunks in the truck, dig out rocks & load them individually wherever I want them. There is a distinct advantage in a backhoe with thumb. A loader is always parallel with rear tires. Almost always that is not where I want it. I can't see through a loader bucket. Neither of these issues manifests with a thumb. I believe a grapple on a skid steer or Compact Track Loader is far more useful than on a backhoe. They don't have a hinging front axle & you can see the cutting edge of the bucket. I rarely carry rocks or trees far with the thumb, but with a heavy load in the front bucket I can. Usually load in the truck if I have far to go.

  51. #51Swetz2020-11-16 07:44

    NH575E, Good find on the pump/motor. Looks like the vendor has accepted some best offers too. As far as the thumb, I will measure the bucket opening the way they say to on there site to see if it is long enough. If so, 2 of them and a hydraulic pump would prolly do the job, with some wiring and hoses. Check Break, Thanks for the info! That is a nice looking grapple attachment!. I think the 445A will do what you want. That is a stout machine @10k#. I wish mine were up and running so I could install the grapple, and leave my TLB unchanged. BTW, I did some searching a couple of years ago, and found a company that sells the tractor side of the universal skid steer adaptor. I actually spoke to the guy, but, getting old, I cannot recall what company it was. My 445A has a diverter on the 3-point control that could be a supply for a solenoid 2-way valve. That was my plan to run implements once it is up and running...I say running, but it is a transmission issue. It is in reverse in forward, neutral, and reverse. That is how I bought it...it is a project. Willie B, I wish I had a thumb on the backhoe for sure, but being an extend-a-hoe, and the fact that the extension is an inner boom, it makes it much harder. Additionally, in the next 3 years I plan to purchase an excavator, and a hydraulic thumb is on the must have list. So, It prolly isn't worth while to spend thousands now in the thumb for the backhoe. I may just wind up sucking it up and do this job by hand. It sucks to get old! Once I am done with this job, I will be able to build my shop. Once the shop is built, I will have a place to fix up the 445A.

  52. #52NH575E2020-11-16 11:35

    I was looking further at the possibility and I don't see ANY PLACE to mount one of those pumps. I am back to thinking dual diverter valves on the curl would be the way to go. It is not a big deal to switch back and forth between grapple and curl. I can't really imagine needing or using both functions at once. It took me a couple of times to get use to it on my John Deere but now it comes as second nature.

  53. #53Swetz2020-11-22 07:58

    NH575E, I got a chance to look over my tractor, and I have to agree, not much space to put a hydraulic pump/motor. I also measured from the top of the bucket to the cutting edge and added 2.5", per the instructions. I came up over the 36". I am not sure if that is the end of the world tho. I did learn something while researching this...the stabilizers use a cable to operate the valve bank. I had read the the extend-a-hoe was cable but assumed that the bank was directly under the stabilizer levers. Nope, it is on the drivers side. It looks doable to get access by removing the drivers tire if I were to tap in to this circuit. That said, I don't think I am going to go ahead with installing a grapple on the bucket. I think I would much better served if I put it on my 445A. First I would install an adaptor to a universal skidsteer plate, (A company called ATI makes them, Messick's sells them) then purchase a grapple bucket like Check Break did. This would also open up endless possibilities for using the universal skid steer bracket with other attachments. And, with the 445A, I already have a hydraulic supply off the 3-point control. All the above stated, I cannot foresee fixing the 445A until after the shop/garage is built. So, I guess I am going to have to hump all the brush by hand the way I have been doing it. Thanks for your input on this!

  54. #54NH575E2020-11-22 09:09

    That's the point I got to on mine. The backhoe does what the backhoe does and I switch machines. When I started I had a little 2wd John Deere 855 that didn't even have a loader. It endured a ridiculous amount of abuse. Then I upgraded to a 4310 and added a loader. I wish it was bigger but I get by with it.

  55. #55Swetz2020-11-22 09:45

    I have to agree, it is amazing what these Compact Utility Tractors can do for their size and weight. I have worked mine hard, and it has never given me a lick of problems. I am diligent in servicing and greasing though. The above being said, I do like the power the full size tractor has, in fact, the backhoe still scares me from time to time...fast and powerful. Another skid steer option I will get once the 445A is up and running is pallet forks. I have a set for the CUT, that clamp on the bucket they work great, but I cant see **** with them on, because of the bucket.

  56. #56Tugger22020-11-22 10:08

    I have a set of forks on my loader and have found they work really well for moving brush piles.If you can push up against something solid you can grab a huge pile of brush . The stuff locks together pretty well as you know from trying to handle it by hand.

  57. #57NH575E2020-11-22 12:30

    That is a good suggestion. IF you add forks get the the real kind that mount on a bar. Don't mess with those clamp on jobs. Ask me how I know!

  58. #58Willie B2020-11-22 17:29

    The 580K came with hooks welded to top of bucket & a set of forks. They work very well except for the inability to see. With a good spotter they work well. I won't compare it to a telehandler, but better than none. As for grapple to grip brush, I don't see a need. Throw a chain or a rope on the ground before piling brush. Whole trees; drag where you want the brush. It comes down to what will you do with the brush. On "The Land" (16 acres) I have two piles of wood debris. Both are in a corner where if they never rot away it wouldn't be a problem. I keep adding another layer, carrying it out to level. Both are in a low corner. I take all my organic debris there, as do 20 other people. No, I do not accept any hazardous material, just tree debris.

  59. #59Swetz2020-11-22 18:26

    I have thought about the good over the top forks for the full size tractor, but I have a clamp on set on my small tractor. They lift ok, but I cannot see where they are. I wouldn't think it would be any better on the full size tractor. Willie B, One of the reasons I want the grapple is poison ivy...I am currently recovering from over 2 weeks ago working on the branches....it is getting old having getting poison ivy every time I clear branches! The chain method keeps me in touch (in a bad way) with the poison ivy, which is everywhere on my property. As far as getting rid of the brush (branches, because I save the main trunk to burn), with like 40 acres of woods, i just push them in, and don't give it a second thought...out of sight and out of mind.

  60. #60Willie B2020-11-22 20:19

    Poison varieties I thankfully don't have. Yes, I'd be all over a grapple if I did. Nothing complex about building one. Mine had had one but it was removed when I bought it. Grapples don't need a great deal of force, they grip, but don't need to crush. If fabricating I suggest it be only mounted to bucket or fork, not boom. When a hydraulic implement is used, pressure in the cylinder is limited by pressure relief in the pump circuit, or valve. Hypothetically, 3000 PSIG. If your grapple is boom mounted, you can now squeeze against it with the bucket increasing pressur above that as the valve is closed leaving no place for excess pressure to go & doing damage. Some factory systems have port relief valves giving a 4000 PSIG relief. That'd be pretty expensive to create aftermarket.