Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grapple width VS. machine width

Legdoc ยท 2012-07-20 11:22

I have located a extreme duty root grapple locally that is 72" wide. My Kubota SVL-90 width at the outside of the tracks is 80". I know a bucket should be wider than the tracks or tires. Will the same apply to a grapple? Or is it no big deal in this case? Please advise. Legdoc

Replies3
  1. #1Bumpsteer2012-07-20 12:25

    I've ran a C185 NH with a grapple that was narrower than the tracks, made no difference. Ed

  2. #2lumberjack2012-07-20 12:44

    What do you plan on doing with it? If you're planning on breaking/grubbing new trails, the outside of your tracks will catch on things. If you're shoveling brush it won't matter.

  3. #3RTSmith2012-07-20 14:25

    I think I'm with lumberjack on this one. I run a 72" on a Cat 242 where I usually run a 72" bucket also. There are a lot of things in life I sometimes wish were bigger- but the root grapple isn't one of them...