Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grapple will not work

csteer ยท 2009-05-21 00:49

I have a 2004 Case 90XT Skidsteer . I have purchased a grapple and hooked it up to the two auxilary lines and tried to function it. The only way I can get fluid to the grapple is by using the foot lever that is a 3000 psi boost - the machine does not have a high flow system on it. I would have thought that the machine would have low flow hydraulics to operate such attachments as this - but the supply and return would also have to switch to operate the cylinders on the grapple. From what I have read in my manual there is suppose to be a rocker switch on the left hand joy stick that switches the supply and return on the auxilary lines ??????? I tried thisbut no joy ! If anyone knows about this type of machine I would appreciate any help.

Replies13
  1. #1KAC=CATeater2009-05-22 18:09

    Do you in fact have that rocker switch on the left hand joy stick? If you do and when it is actuated nothing happens then it sounds like you have a wiring problem. I would check all your fuses first and make sure none are blown. Even if the decal dosnt say anything about anything, make sure all fuses are good. The next thing to do would be to make sure the switch has power going to it. If yes, check for power and ground at the relay it controls. If that is good, check for power and ground at the solenoid the relay controls. Its gota be in there somewhere. Assuming this is an electrical related problem and you have that rocker switch on you control lever. If all checks out good, you have a hydraulic problem and that would take further investigation. Let us know.

  2. #2gggraham2009-05-22 18:26

    The 90XT with a foot operated valve has dual flow just not high flow. The foot switch should rocker left and right. All the foot pedal is doing is stroking a spool with a cable. Make sure the cable is not seized. I have seen them where they will stroke one way but not the other.

  3. #3KSSS2009-05-24 14:27

    This is not a big deal.

  4. #4AtlasRob2009-05-24 18:10

    removed as I am stupid

  5. #5AtlasRob2009-05-24 18:18

    Not for you it isnt On edit Ok ok, I went back and had another look. You've replied to the "quote" inside the quote without inserting [ QUOTE ] at the start and [ / QUOTE ] at the end of each reply so it all looks like the previous posters quotation and your comment at the end. I have put extra spaces [ / QUOTE ] otherwise it wont be readable

  6. #6KSSS2009-05-25 12:30

    Yes, that did not come out the way I thought it would.:bash

  7. #7wbaker2009-06-17 15:07

    I have a similar situation with my Gehl 5635 SXT II. I have a rocker pedal for aux hydraulics. However, it only rocks down on the right, and only if I stand up on the thing. I have to stand up on the left side of the pedal to turn if "off" which means it returns to the middle or level position. Nothing I do can get that pedal down on the left. The consequence is my grapple only opens and only with me literally standing up to cause the aux hydros to work. Did you find a solution for your problem and can you share it?

  8. #8AtlasRob2009-06-20 11:05

    I know nothing about these machines but no pedal should be that tight. Get away from thinking about the hyd supply and find out what is obstructing the pedal. Find out what the pedal is activating. Is it direct onto a spool valve or by rods to a valve. Maybe the pedal is only meant to be single action, but I doubt it if it rocks left ( or not ) and right rather than straight down like a throttle or brake pedal. It maybe that it is simply packed underneath with mud/dirt, crap or worse that a rod is jammed or a spool is corroded / siezed. Once you find what the pedal activates you will find the pipework that will give a much clearer indication of whether it is single or double activating.

  9. #9wbaker2009-06-20 12:20

    Gehl 5635 Solved Thanks AtlasRob, Actually, I managed to do everything you suggested a couple of days ago. The problem turned out to be simply that the stud/nut used for the rocker pedal assembly was WAY too tight. Loosened, cleaned, and lubricated it and I could operate it both ways with just my hand! Got the grapple going today...

  10. #10AtlasRob2009-06-20 13:51

    Great result :thumbsup Its often the simple things that cause the biggest problems.

  11. #11wbg2019-02-01 19:31

    What is dual flow and what the heck does the joystick rocker switch do?

  12. #1262oliver2019-02-02 03:17

    My 90xt is regular flow, I only use the foot pedal for the aux hydraulics. It has the rocker switch on the left joystick. As far as I can tell the rocker switch does nothing. Maybe its there for a machine with more options?

  13. #13TVA2019-02-07 23:56

    Check fuses, check wires, check weather you have power to the switch, than from switch to solenoid.