Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Flat primer bulb

toomacho ยท 2009-05-25 19:23

I have been noticing that when I start my 863, that now it is taking about 3 tries. I set the idle about 1/3 open to start, but is seems to be starved for fuel. Once it gets going then I can idle down to let it warm up. I also noticed that the primer bulb goes flat during idle. I opened the fuel cap to see if it was not venting properly but that was not the problem. :beatsme So, I'm thinking maybe something in the fuel line? Maybe the fuel filter? Would it hurt anything to run some compressed air through the lines to clear any potential trash? As always, your advice is appreciated :drinkup

Replies5
  1. #1willie592009-05-25 20:18

    Debris clogging inlet screen at end of suction hose inside tank. You need to remove it and clean it, can't blow air through it, it has a check ball in it. If you have a lot of debris, you may have to clean out the tank.

  2. #2td25c2009-05-25 20:27

    You might be due for a fuel filter change.If you use compressed air to clear the lines make sure the line is unhooked from the system at both ends so you dont blow any trash into the fuel system.

  3. #3td25c2009-05-25 20:32

    Good point ATCOEQUIP.Is it possible the check valve is the problem?

  4. #4willie592009-05-25 20:40

    With a Bobcat...anythings possible. The primer bulb on a B-C is prior to the fuel filter, very common problem with B-C machines. Anytime you get a flat primer bulb while engine is running is generally debris clogging the fine stainer screen at the end of the fuel pick-up tube. It's very fine mesh and doesn't let heavy stuff go through to foul check ball inside of it. And that check ball is why you can't blow compressed air back through it to clear it, if you do, you just pop the strainer off the end of the tube. Got to pull it out and clean it, and a lot of times you find the vinyl tube has gotten hard and it breaks off while trying to remove it. Trip to Bobcat for new tube and pick-up screen. Could also be something mashing the fuel line, it's just usually clogged screen.

  5. #5toomacho2009-05-26 06:31

    Thanks for the advice guy's. I'll check out everything that was mentioned in this thread. :usa