Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grapples, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Bloody Knuckles ยท 2022-01-28 18:30

I recently bought a used 2002 S185, 1400 hrs with a HD dirt bucket. Now looking for about a month for a decent brush grapple to clear 7-8 hilly acres of dead timber, buffalo berry? or what ever this stuff is and reseed it. Does anyone have some suggestions on a decent one? Been looking at Virnig, Ryan's, Jenkins and Prime. Leaning towards the Prime 66" dual clam brush grapple out of Garfield Mn. Main reason for the 66" is it's hilly and I'm leaving some of the trees and thinking a narrow unit would be easier to work around the trees I'm leaving. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies26
  1. #1CM19952022-01-28 18:44

    We've got 2 Bobcat grapples one solid bottom and one tine bottom, I think they call it an agg grapple. The tine grapple is obviously open and the tines are replaceable and works good for light clearing and grubbing. If I were to buy another grapple for clearing and grubbing I would buy one with replaceable teeth and stout tines. The pic you posted appears to be stout with replaceable teeth, who makes that one?

  2. #2Bloody Knuckles2022-01-28 18:55

    That's the Prime 66". 3/4" bottom tines with replaceable teeth, 1/2" top tines. The cylinders are centered on the clams on the newer style they make and weights about 960lbs

  3. #3mowingman2022-01-28 19:34

    The landowner I do contract work for bought us a new Bobcat Root Grapple back in 2008. I have used that grapple to clear nearly 2000 acres since 08. Just used it again all last spring. It is one tough grapple, I can tell you that. The open tines are very stout, However, the teeth are not the replaceable type, but they still look great. I have grabbed many giant root balls still attached to the whole tree and dragged them into a pile. I did bend one of the two hydraulic top clamps back several years ago, by trying to lift/move too big of a tree. Other than that, only had 2 hoses break in 10+ years of hard use. I am sue the Bobcat brand grapple is more expensive, but ours has been well worth whatever it cost. Jeff

  4. #4mowingman2022-01-28 19:38
  5. #5mowingman2022-01-28 19:40

    Photo above of bucket. Also a photo of a big stump I loaded on a trailer using the grapple. You have to click on the stump photo for it to show larger, for some reason.

  6. #6Bloody Knuckles2022-01-28 19:46

    I was looking at Bobcat root grapples but their running about $1,000 above what I was trying to budget for one. Looked at a few used ones which still run as much as some of the others do new but on the other hand you get what you pay for. The bent clams must be a common issue with them cuz the used ones I was looking at were also bent. One had a rose bud taken to it and straightened. Something else I noticed was most I've looked at don't have replaceable bushings pressed in at the pivot points.

  7. #7Bloody Knuckles2022-01-28 20:03

    That's one big stump!! Is that a 82" grapple on yours? I have to watch the weight on the ones I'm looking at, just have a 1,850Lb lift cap.

  8. #81693TA2022-01-28 20:22

    That is where I'm at with my 1845C which is 1750# lift.

  9. #9mowingman2022-01-28 21:22

    I think it is 80 or 82" wide. The T300 tracks are supposed to be 78" across, and the mounted grapple looks a little wider than the tracks as it sits mounted on the old T300. I can not measure it for you, as I have retired and moved from Texas, way up to Ohio. The bent clam is the one to the operators left side. Bent it moving stumps and whole trees, like the size shown. Been bent for 10 years, so it does not seem to hurt the operation any. Jeff

  10. #10Bloody Knuckles2022-01-28 21:42

    Bobcat is one that does have replaceable pin bushings. Did you ever have issues with the open top clams allowing Cr#p to get in under the cylinders / shafts / hoses?

  11. #11mowingman2022-01-28 22:12

    No, never had a problem with that. This grapple has really been trouble free over the years. There are a lot of grease fittings on it, and we kept everything on it well greased.

  12. #12Steve Frazier2022-01-28 22:12

    I've bought several attachments from www.quickattach.com and have been very happy with them. One is a grapple rake that looks similar to what you've pictured above, except it's one top piece the whole way across instead of split. I've been very pleased with it

  13. #13Bloody Knuckles2022-01-29 08:36

    I did look at a few Quick Attach units and noticed that the back side is open in most places allowing stuff to come through. Also they don't sell a dual clam unit just the single top piece units. I was thinking for my application the dual would work out better. I could be wrong, been wrong before.

  14. #14colson042022-01-29 09:17

    I bought the cheapest, 60" root rake I could in 2018. Cost me $1700. Thick tines, welded on teeth. Single clamp, dual cylinders. I broke a cylinder mount the first time I moved logs with it, but I had it repaired in a couple hours and was back to work. Aside from breaking a manufacturing defect, it has been a solid unit that moves a lot of brush and branches every year. We cleared about 5 acres with it this past summer, and I was moving firewood logs with it 2 days ago. It is a bare bones and basic model, but it has been very effective in land clearing for a land owner, private use application. If you aren't doing large scale land clearing, I don't think the cost can be justified on the more expensive units. Will a cheaper unit get a landowners small job done? Probably. Will it break like mine did? Possibly. But, all grapples are simple in construction so a bit of welding and maybe plating and things are operable again. And almost all of them will bend or tweak the clamp at some point. My grandpa bought a more expensive model grapple and bent his clamp too.

  15. #15colson042022-01-29 09:19

    The open space between twines doesn't really matter. Mine is open, and when raking, the brush, logs and branches will align perpendicular with the machine, and then you clamp. I haven't had anything come through that would be an issue, and my grapple gets used on a lot of brush every year.

  16. #16Bloody Knuckles2022-01-29 09:58

    Thanks guys, I was thinking the same thing that the material would self align and as far as open spaces I've got plenty of scrap 1/4" plate that could fill the gaps if needed. I was actually thinking of making my own...buy a used Bobcat dirt bucket and modify it. I've got 2 1 arm loader buckets off of 900 series ford tractors that I could cut down for clams, make the mounts, buy some cyl out of Sioux City, parker hose and fittings then a bunch of welding

  17. #17Tags2022-01-29 10:51

    I bought one of these a few years ago https://primeattach.com/products/rock-and-brush-grapple/ It worked great, never bent or broke anything on it. I think it's handier than the one you pictured because you can use it for dirt, rocks, logs and brush. Just my .02.

  18. #18Bloody Knuckles2022-01-29 11:11

    I was looking at the same one and then started leaning towards the other. Mainly because we don't have many rocks / boulders in Eastern Ne and the closing gap on it has a tighter radius. But it would work and it's about $500 less!!

  19. #19Bumpsteer2022-01-29 12:54

    I went with the Bobcat industrial grapple, wanted the solid back as I move lots of brush with it, tired of branches coming back at me. Teeth have been added so it can rake. Ed

  20. #20HilltopNH2022-02-06 09:45

    This Solesbee's root grapple came with the LX665 when I bought it in 2013. I use it for tree work mostly but it has seen a decent amount out rough grading work in rocky soil. Other than the usual paint wear it's in perfect stuctual condition. The tines have't move at all and the pivot pins are still pretty tight.

  21. #21Bloody Knuckles2022-02-08 22:02

    I took a look at those and they're running about $3,450 with a 2 year warranty. Out of Winston Ga. Shipping costs puts it out of my budget. Looks like one of the better built ones though. Prices are nuts right now, even on the used ones.

  22. #22JPSouth2022-02-08 23:05

    I bought a Prime 72" root/rake grapple a few years ago, had an ongoing job moving a lot of loose brush. It will definitely grub smaller diameter stuff out, and as I work in the rocks a lot the replaceable teeth are a plus. Got a lot of weight to it, nothing there will bend unless a guy got pretty ignorant with what he was doing. Only complaint I have is the cylinders occasionally go over center just a bit and the clam won't close..have to curl it forward, hook the front of the tines and force it back into position. It happens frequently if you're backdragging with the tines. I've got a couple stops made, gonna weld those on this winter. Other than that, it's a stout design and I've been happy with it. After owning this one awhile, I think the heavier rock buckets with aggressive teeth and dual clamps are better for general use. They won't pick up quite as much as the big clam, but will handle oddball loads, rocks and logs better. I'd stick with a design that allows the sides to be unbolted and removed.

  23. #23Bloody Knuckles2022-02-23 17:40

    I wanted to thank all of you for you input on a grapple. I found a used 66" Bobcat root grapple in Kansas and purchased it a few days ago. It had been stored inside and it's in very good shape. Just has some paint worn off the bottom / tips of the tines. Saved a bit from buying new and I think it'll work fine for what I'm doing. Thanks again. John

  24. #24mowingman2022-02-23 18:11

    That will work great. It is just like the one I have used for almost 11 years. I have piled mountains of trees and brush with our Bobcat grapple. Jeff

  25. #25Simon C2022-03-27 21:33

    Just bought a Virnig Skeleton Rock Grapple with Separate Clams. It is a model V50 Series. Did one big job with it. The Hyd. Cylinders are very well built with guarding. I was shearing 3 inch poplars off at the ground on a minus 10 Celcius morning with no problem. The clams worked very good. The unit had very good welding compared to an other unit I owned before.They sell a V60 series unit that is made even heavier duty. So far very pleased. Simon C

  26. #26Bumpsteer2022-03-27 23:00

    Nice...l have the 60" b-cat industrial grapple. The big plus (to me) going with the b-cat ones is their cylinder guarding....bulletproof! Ed