Hello all, I have a few general questions that I know I could get some in depth answers here. I have some land that I own, 49 acres to be exact, that has been used as a hard-fill for the last 20 years. Now my idea may be far fetched however i'm wanting some information as to wether it would make sense to start digging up what has been dumped, screening the dirt out and selling that then taking the rocks/gravels from that screening that to size and selling it according to size. I don't know how much sense it makes but here in my region (southwestern ohio) we are running out of places to dump hard fill and limestone quarries are far and few it seems. My second question, I am trying to get a better understanding of how these gravel pit companies operate. The limestone operations I understand they blast the rock, hammer it to size, screen and sell. But what about companies that operate along the river and selling river rock? Is the product they are selling just a screened to size pit-run? If so why couldnt I dig deep enough to do the same thing. Just digging around for answers, awesome site, and I look forward to any answers
In the first place you'd probably need a permit from the county to operate a gravel pit. Then you may need permits to haul gravel trucks on the county roads. For the equipment you'd need, I don't think you'd make much with only 49 acres and not really knowing what you have.
There is no telling what is in your 49 acres of hard fill over the 20 years of dumping there, unless you've owned and ran it the whole time. Can you sell the recycled aggregate and dirt for enough per CY to offset the excavation, screening, crushing and material handling?
You may need to wash the product before you can sell it too which adds to the cost of things.That means a retaining pond,pump and pipe etc.You can sell the sediment that you create in the washing operation that settles in the pond as pool fill to the pool guys.That requires a drag line of course and as said before it might be a stretch for 49 acres.Good luck.Ron G
You would be better off to forget reclaiming what is there. If you want a business in aggregates you could dry screen waste that people bring to you that they dump in separate piles. This would be a full time job keeping the piles separate and pushed up and keeping the trash out. I'd say the Cincinnati area would keep you busy but regulation will be onerous. Dry screened agg isn't prime but many times it is good enough.
For example: alot of sand & gravel companies around me are placed by local rivers? I don't know much about this that is why I am asking. Are they digging out of the river banks or what process is involved. One again just trying to gain as much knowledge about this subject as possible Thanks again
I have a letter from the gubment stating new demand from fill topsoil and bank run gravel (stone) to an operator that was operating out of it with a permit from them...the City....for over twenty years. It $hut him down. ....retired. I'm just a millwright but could try to explain more or find the letter.
I couldn't say if they use these in Ohio, but I know they use them in Eastern ND and Minnesota. https://youtu.be/Ut8fDCULFSc Called a skyline dredge.
The dumbest part of running a wash plant is that after you wash the dirt off the rock you just dug out of the ground, you now must retain the water as it is now contaminated with the dirt you just washed off. Now you have to put it in a setteling pond and let the water evaporate.
What does soil and gravel sell for in your area? Do you know for sure that it's all clean / inert fill? Who was dumping there? Who was supervising the dumping? If it wasn't a managed dump site, was there anything that got dumped there that you wouldn't want to uncover? (asbestos? ash? any kind or industrial waste?)
I highly doubt you could compete with the gravel pits around dayton. Theres alot of demolition going on though, I'd look into a "haul in your concrete & dirt, haul out gravel" sort of business. AKA Crusher.