Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gravel Road Maintenance Videos

Grader4me ยท 2009-06-16 19:27

Here is a link to some short videos on gravel road maintenance. I seen these sometime ago and thought they were good information. Even shows what happens when you grade to fast :cool2 I'm not sure if these are already on here somewhere :beatsme http://www.mnltap.umn.edu/Publications/Videos/GravelRoadMaintenance/index.html

Replies15
  1. #1atgreene2009-06-18 14:49

    Great videos. I forwarded them onto my town manager to try to get them used for the road crew. The town hires a local contractor to grade the roads. They do not believe in crowning, cleaning ditches or shaping. It's a waste. Of course, the same contractor sells all the gravel to the town.

  2. #2decee2009-06-19 06:52

    Does anyone know how to download those videos? I know they won't send a copy to Canada

  3. #3ovrszd2009-06-19 10:34

    maintenance These are good "starter" videos. But every gravel road maintenance operator knows that each road has it's own personality based on it's soil type, natural drainage, volume of traffic and especially weight of traffic. I maintain 50 miles of gravel that has about half a dozen variations in personality. More crown, less crown, more frequent maintenance, less frequent maintenance, faster operation, slower operation, etc., etc. As I said, these are good "starter" videos, adjust from there. I was actually amused by the video on gravel type. It has no application in my area. We don't want nearly as much fines in our gravel as he recommends.

  4. #4dogboneshd2009-06-19 22:26

    Very helpful if you gotta maintain a road or even a long driveway

  5. #5Grader4me2009-06-20 17:03

    Makes it all worthwhile posting the link. Hopefully they will apply what the "starter" videos show. :cool2

  6. #6TriHonu2009-06-20 22:26

    Here are links to a few more videos from the Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP) Library: United States Forest Service (Windows Media Player) Earth & Gravel Road Maintenance Part 1 Earth & Gravel Road Maintenance Part 2 Earth & Gravel Road Maintenance Part 3 Earth & Gravel Road Maintenance Part 4 Earth & Gravel Road Maintenance Part 5 LTAP (Windows Media Player) Problems With Gravel Roads Part 1 Problems With Gravel Roads Part 2 Problems With Gravel Roads Part 3

  7. #7Bigred17752012-04-12 23:44

    Thanks for the link!

  8. #8biggrader2012-04-15 18:07

    Hard to believe what those guys from MN can come up with.LOL. But like OVSZD said, these are good points but do not suit every road. Even in Mn the roads vary quite a bit.

  9. #9grandpa2012-04-15 18:58

    Here's the spec for the gravel here in Minnesota,,,,, spec #3138..... enjoy all the reading lol. http://www.dot.state.mn.us/pre-letting/spec/2005/3101-3491.pdf

  10. #10lb7/sledhead2012-05-15 22:32

    Those videos are great! Have any links to video's on using the scarifier? My private lane is 1/2 mile long at the base of a mountain...very rocky! Thanks!

  11. #11earthandiron2012-07-04 12:05

    Yeah that video was very informative. Thank you very much.

  12. #12lango2012-07-04 21:24

    Very interesting. Thanks for posting!

  13. #13terrasmooth2012-07-08 12:02

    Dirt Road Maintenance Article Hello, I am new to this forum... I have written an article on road maintenance as well as others. check them out at www.terrasmooth.com

  14. #14rabia2012-07-19 02:44

    Good ... I enjoyed them a lot.

  15. #15ben46a2012-08-08 08:00

    I'm curious about this comment, from a durability standpoint, fines are what binds the road together. from a safety standpoint loose stone with little fines makes it easier to loose control on a curve. More fines will alleviate this.