Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gray market Deere dozers

ilcorngrower ยท 2021-12-09 18:27

Question. Does any of the Deere guys know if a newer J series dozer that was built for gray market is able to get parts and stuff here domestically? It would seem similar machine with just less emissions controls. Thanks

Replies11
  1. #1excavator2021-12-10 00:38

    To be honest with you I'm not sure I've ever heard of a grey market Deere dozer but I guess if it was built for export that's what you'd call it. I know that anything being imported has to have a current emissions sticker on it or it will not be allowed in the country. So I would assume it will have to have emission controls on it.

  2. #2MattR2021-12-10 10:40

    I just got off the phone with John Deere regarding that very same matter. Not ten minutes ago. Perhaps you and I are even looking at the same machines. He said it's impossible to tell what that machine is made up of. He said it can be a very dangerous area to get involved in. I certainly would have thought that a 700j is a 700j. But it turns out I'm totally wrong. He said everything from the injection pump to the final drive Motors could be completely different. And he said nevermind Parts being difficult to find, he said maybe totally impossible. And he said almost certainly count on the electrical components being different. I never would have guessed any of this. I'm glad I made the call

  3. #3JL Sargent2021-12-10 14:57

    If I was working at your local JD dealer and you called me about Grey market machines, I would say all that stuff and go ahead and set up an appointment for you to come in to check out our new 700 series machines. Lets face it, a conflict of interest exists!

  4. #4MattR2021-12-10 15:45

    I suppose. But from what I've been reading, he sounds correct. But if you have information to the contrary by all means please share it with us. I'm guessing you might know otherwise?

  5. #5JL Sargent2021-12-10 16:26

    I do not know about gray market JD dozers, but I do know people. Wonder how difficult it would be to compare electrics or final drive motors on these machines? It's an interesting topic because it could be a lot of money.

  6. #6hosspuller2021-12-10 16:32

    I would be wary. If a $50 DVD player can tell the country of origin of the disk... Surely Deere has built in some sort of controls in the engine to reject non approved components. One might end up with a very expensive pile of scrap metal.

  7. #7mg23612021-12-11 05:10

    Supply a serial number and I can tell you where it was built.

  8. #8John C.2021-12-11 10:52

    The connotation "grey market" has usually come to mean a machine built off shore and meant for a place other than North America. The only issue with Deere dozers I remember was that some were built by Lieberr and rebadged to Deere some years ago. Those as far as I remember were only the bigger machines. The other over seas machines were the Bell articulated trucks. I'm sure the Deere people here could provide a lot better info than my fading memory though.

  9. #9mg23612021-12-12 05:19

    Machine was built for export on Feb 17, 2015 in the Dubuque , Iowa plant (serial beginning with 1T0). It was originally sold out of a dealer in Mexico. It appears to be a standard tier 3 emission engine that was sold here in the states and as far as I can tell it has all the same components that are in the machines sold here. The only other location to build 450 through 850 series dozers (AFAIK) was in the country of Brazil. If it was manufactured there it would have a serial number that begins with 1BZ. 655C and 755C track loaders and the 950-1050 "C" series dozers were built in Austria by Liebherr (Serial LW or 1LW). Current large dozers are manufactured in Dubuque. 204-344 wheel loaders are currently produced by Liebherr.

  10. #10mg23612021-12-12 06:45

    Correction - Liebherr serials are LU or 1LU.

  11. #11Vetech632021-12-12 08:54

    Was this one of those SLY parts guys you were talking to? I have never run across a grey market machine that was THAT much different than its American counterpart.