Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gray market machines

Nick Powell · 2024-11-28 16:10

So how bad of an idea is it to get into a gray market machine? I’m looking at a Komatsu PC 75 – UU – 2 that is a great price with 2900 hours on it, because it is a gray market machine. I don’t make my living with it. Just using it around the farm.

Replies14
  1. #1Shimmy12024-11-28 16:26

    Let me get my crystal ball and see what problems you're going to have.......

  2. #2IceHole2024-11-28 17:28

    Us there a US version that's the same? I have a Japanesse Hitachi, but YS one is the same. Just the serial is "invalid" in "the system" The Deere dealer doesn't care, they sell parts without fuss.

  3. #3rbrown2252024-12-04 10:10

    I have been told that Komatsu doesn't care and will sell parts with no problem. The safest way is to call your local dealer and talk to them.

  4. #4BC Placer gold2024-12-04 19:02

    We had a Hitachi Zx120 & 135 grey market…parts were no problem and our local dealer (Brandt) seemed to have no issue with the ‘grey’ market designation. Komatsu (here in BC) seems to be very expensive as far as parts go …I have seen a lot of Komatsu PC 75’s here (a lot came in through the port of Vancouver). I started out with a PC 28 and that was a well built machine; I really liked the boom pinned on the house as it gave good lifting height for loading our double screen shaker plant. A good ‘amount’ of steel went into the build on the boom/stick.

  5. #5BC Placer gold2024-12-04 19:08

    Just keep in mind that a 2900h meter reading is pretty suspect…I go more on condition & wear than the hour meter reading. Look at the seat, travel pedals, original paint? Look close at track group (steel?) is it original or factory parts…or cheap ‘Chinese’ (seen a lot of these at Ritchie Bros. In Nisku)…buyer beware. I do like the PC 75’s though, good strong smooth hydraulics.. Good luck , let us know what transpires!

  6. #6Mike_272024-12-05 16:33

    I've never had a problem getting parts from Komatsu for my gray market excavator, but I always have the part numbers for what I need.

  7. #7Nige2024-12-05 16:49

    I think that is critical for a grey market machine, just in case the dealer does not have information for that particular model in their system. Parts are parts and go to the counter with a P/N and the system should be happy to sell it to you.

  8. #8GODSDOZER2024-12-07 17:04

    Years ago, I had a gray market Samsung excavator I bought from United Rentals in Houston tx low hours, great price. Parts were not an issue for that machine because they were interchangeable with Volvo.

  9. #9CM19952024-12-07 20:14

    United Rentals had a grey market excavator? How did that happen?

  10. #10GODSDOZER2024-12-08 19:28

    There were 12 of them sitting at the Houston Port from a project that was cancelled in .........south korea? or some similar country. United Rental bought them and put 2500 or so hours on them then sold them off. ROMCO inc. is who I used for parts here in east texas. Sold that machine to an old friend 10 or 12 years ago, its still running strong.

  11. #11ekster2025-07-24 17:32

    i am looking for engine parts and specs for my pc38uu-1, any sugestions

  12. #12Welder Dave2025-07-25 00:38

    You might want to start a new thread.

  13. #13Universal Parts2025-07-25 01:00

    What part are you missing? Do you have a part number? Or take a picture of the location of the missing part

  14. #14DM&RDBulldog2025-07-25 18:24

    Reach out to your local Komatsu dealer. Grey market machines in the North American market from well established manufacturers present in the region are supported. Ive inquired about grey market Komatsu and other brands over the years from equipment acquired through land purchases and have always been able to source parts from a NA dealer. Only grey market equipment I couldn't source parts for was from China or Belarus/Russia.