Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grease Fitting Thread Size?

mekanik · 2022-08-19 20:44

I am working on a 2007 John Deere 35D. A couple grease fittings were damaged so I went to the cabinet where the grease fittings are kept but we had nothing that fit. The calipers and thread gauge say it is 1/8"BPST. Can anyone here verify that is the correct size? The used fitting measures .376", BPST should measure .383" but it is a used tapered fitting. The 28 TPI gauge fits perfectly but its 60 degrees and BPST is 55 degrees. I doubt my 63 year old eyes could see the difference in fit on that small a thread. Thanks!! Terry

Replies11
  1. #1Coaldust2022-08-20 02:05

    It’s 8mm x 1mm , M8 thread. JD uses a lot of M6 and M8.

  2. #2mekanik2022-08-20 04:04

    The fitting measures 9.5mm x 0.9mm pitch or .375 x 28TPI. It is bigger than 8mm. I have 8mm grease fittings in the parts drawers.

  3. #3John C.2022-08-20 11:25

    BSP is almost the same of US pipe thread. I've taken a US 1/8" pipe tap to lots of BSP pipe thread holes and used standard US fittings. Someone might have done that to your machine.

  4. #4mekanik2022-08-20 11:35

    I was tempted to run a 1/8 pipe tap in the hole but its not my machine. When the grease fitting was damage I don't think the owner noticed grease was not going into the pin and bushing. I had to take the pin out to clean the hard grease from the grease passage.

  5. #5Thirty5D2022-08-20 12:17

    Here's a photograph of what fit the 2011 JD35D that I own. Part number TH100074. Because I started life as a bicycle mechanic it's Raleigh obvious to me that it's a Whitworth thread.

  6. #6Coaldust2022-08-20 12:36

    9.5 mm is close to M10x1. That’s another JD size. Or, like John said. That hole may have been tapped.

  7. #7Volvomad2022-08-20 20:47

    M 10 x 1 and 1/8 bsp are hard to tell apart

  8. #8BenRam2023-07-14 10:44

    I was wondering where this ended up. I don't know anything about grease fitting sizes. I have to replace a couple on my Deere mini. I'm guessing they're metric because a metric socket fit perfect to remove them. The threads appear tapered. A couple appear to be 10mm tapered; or at least 10mm tapered fit. One of them has threads that measure about 9.44mm diameter, same as mentioned previously in this post. The 10mm doesn't fit. I would think the 8mm would be too small. Any help or info would be appreciated.

  9. #9Tinkerer2023-07-14 10:57

    You could get on the on-line Deere parts book and get the part number. Deere grease fittings are readily available on the internet. Or better yet go to JD dealer. Link to The Parts Book

  10. #10mekanik2023-07-14 11:12

    The grease fittings on a friends 35D the threads are BSPT or British Standard Pipe Tapered. 1/8" BSPT is 28 threads per inch where 1/8" NPT is 27 threads per inch.

  11. #11BenRam2023-07-14 14:28

    Thanks Tinkerer, I had looked at that site; hadn't gone in deep enough. I called a dealer. He had one but not the other. Can't wait to see them. I also needed the oil drain pan plug gasket. I just did an oil change and there wasn't a gasket on the plug. I can't believe it wasn't leaking but I'm not putting it back together like that.