What's good now? Looks like they all come from China including Alemite
lock and lube http://www.locknlube.com/ Bought one for myself when the other guys found it had to order 5 more
I don't feel they are any better than a normal coupler. Got one, and after a few weeks it was leaking, not to mention I have several fittings that are recessed into a pin, and the locknlube doesn't fit in the hole. I've just accepted the fact that every two weeks I need to put another $5.99 coupler on. I will run it until it takes four or five wiggles to get it to seal. I have also discovered that fittings wear out as well. If the coupler is consistently leaking on certain zerks, they get changed. As for brand of couplers, best luck for the last 3 years is Lubrimatic. http://www.plews-edelmann.com/lube-products/grease-gun-accessories/ DO NOT get the heavy duty coupler. Doesn't last any longer, and if you have a tough fitting, you're breaking it off. Lincoln, Milwaukee, Alemite couplers are all garbage. Had several leak right out of the package. Napa are better, but most Napa couplers have three jaws, no good. I've found the four jaw couplers last a little longer.
I always liked the NAPA couplers and if I remember right they were the only ones to work on Ackerman fittings as well as the rest of them too.Ron G
I've got a 2 jaw from car quest, have to leave the sleeve a little loose, it'll grip so damn tite you can't get off rhe zerk. I only use that gun on stubborn fittings. Ed
I'll second the Locknload coupler. It has withstood all the abuse I could put it through, including using it as a handle to pull myself up the side of my round baler. It services about 98% of the fittings that I have on my machines. The rest I get with a set of specialty couplers, that I got from Harbor freight. NO, I do not work for locknlube, I just like the product. One note, I use a screwdriver, and a shop rag, before and after greasing, because grit is not your friend, regardless of the type of coupler you use... http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-lube-accessory-kit-95904.html
Shimmy, I don't know why you're having problems with Lock N Lube, I've been using them for several years now with great results, they work far better than any zerk coupler I've ever used, and they make them now where the rubber seal inside is replaceable, don't have to purchase the entire coupler.
The main reason I can't use it is because I have several pins on my scraper that it won't fit into the recess where the zerk is located. We did try one on the farm. The planter has over 120 grease fittings, and the air seeder has over 100. Before the end of planting season, it was leaking. I am intrigued about being able to change the seal. Did you find that on their website? After the first one I haven't even considered one again.
If you have counterbore holes that won't accept the coupler, maybe run a twist drill in the hole and make it a tad bigger? The replaceable seal is a recent feature, the last one (complete coupler) I purchased came with a replacement rubber in the package and a note stating they're sending out all couplers with the replaceable rubber seal now along with a spare seal in the package. New rubber seals can be purchase separate as well. Compared to the old style grease coupler, I absolutely love the lock n lube, especially pumping up a track adjuster after you've had it apart to replace the rod seal. No way would I go back to the old couplers.
I've thought about drilling the counterbore out. Then, I think about it a little more and wonder how I'd feel if I twisted off a 5/8" bit in my grease zerk bore. ointhead We all know how far sideways drilling out an existing hole can go. I still have the leaking Locknlube. Maybe I'll measure it (and the counterbores) and see if you can change my mind.
Maybe use a carbide tipped masonry drill, takes a helluva lot of down pressure though, more counterweight than I got in my 135 lb arse, but would be less likely to twist off than a twist drill. Hmm, maybe that's why they're called a "twist drill". LMAO
Man, I get that sick feeling just THINKING about twisting off a bit in that bore. Yuck. I'm sure those pins are cold-roll. Soft like butter. Drill like wood. Yeah, right. I need a mag drill.
Willie, what do you prefer for grease?
NLGI 2 Moly grease works well in my area, not too cold in the winters, and the heat in summer isn't extreme. Of course I service a rental fleet so once it goes to a site there's no telling what kind of grease a customer pumps into the joints...if they do at all, so it's kinda hard for me to form a definitive opinion on grease service.
Have you read my posts on the current "Year round grease" thread? We could maybe take this conversation there. What brand you use?
I use Phillips Megaplex XD3, but again, once it goes out on rental there's no telling what will get pumped in the joints, if at all.
I have had pretty good luck I took one off at the crusher last week to bring home for a new seal Im thinking it has ran 20 cases of grease Yes grease fittings defiantly wear out and get sharp burrs not to mention grit on them that ruin couplers
I love my lock n lube, will never go back I don't think. Mine is on my air pump on my service truck. I have had a few fittings it won't go on but have always been able to change things around one way or another to make it work. Mine came with the replacement seal but I haven't needed it yet. I have pumped most of a quarter drum of grease through it. Pump up a track adjustor or two and you will love it. I try to clean the fittings enough to keep the grit from going in the joint.
Alemite are still made in the good USA, Tennessee I believe. SKF hasn't ruined them yet.
Not the one I bought a month ago. Brand new 500E lever gun. Hecho in china all parts. Last one I'll ever buy from them. Greyson