Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

greasing circle on 14g

Jerry_Rigger ยท 2015-04-11 12:53

I use diesel to clean and lubricate the circle, does anyone use graphite lube?

Replies7
  1. #1Queenslander2015-04-11 22:11

    The only lubrication we use on our circles is on the teeth, as recommended in this post by Randy Krieg. Cheers, Greg

  2. #2Rowdy162015-04-12 13:31

    I use dry lube on the circle and grease on the teeth. That's the way our Maintenance Guy said to do it. Previous employers have used all grease, all dry lube, or nothing at all.

  3. #3953 428 122015-04-15 19:46

    circle lube Having owned and operated Caterpillar blades in the desert southwest for nearly 40 years, I always used DRY graphite or nothing. When EMPIRE MACHINERY would inspect their lease units,they made sure there was NO grease on the circle. Sand in grease is not a good thing.

  4. #4cuttin edge2015-04-16 00:21

    I ran a new 740 once and the dealer recommended dry graphite as well. By the time I started running my old 730, it was so worn that I just used red grease. I use dry graphite on our 940 just to keep it from squeaking on damp days.

  5. #5TrentNz2015-04-16 04:14

    Im not sure if they are similar but i know on 12gs you arent supposed to grease them as they are brass, all the grease does in attract grit and wear it out further.

  6. #6bades2015-04-19 07:23

    Ive got 4 cat graders and always use dry lube graphite spray , never grease, it attracts to much dirt and crushed rock turning it into a liquid sand paper . My 12g has 28000 hours on it and both teeth and circle are in pretty good nick for their age. In Australia Caterpillar have in the last 6 months stopped supplying their Cat brand of dry lube for a locktite product twice the price, but ive learned that you can buy the same product from Jonh deere at the old cat price . Ive been told that is world wide as far as the cat dry lube goes ? ? ?

  7. #7Radrock2015-04-19 19:15

    It seems that everyone agrees. Dry Lube is better. I have used it for years. Once or twice a day, depending on what you are doing with the grader. Like everyone said. Sand and grease is not a good combination and if you watch your circle for a few months it will actually polish it to a certain degree, especially with the brass inserts. I got to where I would even spray the slides as well. I still think there are applications where grease may be better too. Wet and snowy work...