Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Green John Deere Excavator

Tinkerer · 2024-11-04 20:56

I didn't know they existed until I stumbled on a picture of one near the Campbell River, BC. We have member that probably is very familiar with this particular one.

Replies8
  1. #1materthegreater2024-11-04 21:14

    Is it a converted feller buncher?

  2. #2Johhnycanuck2024-11-04 21:21

    All the JD forestry machines up here are green, have been for about ten years or more. I think deere thought changing the colour would make customers forget about rotec failures.....

  3. #3BC Placer gold2024-11-04 21:45

    Looks like a factory ‘road-builder’ We owned a Hitachi Ex270 (early 90’s) roadbuilder for a couple of years. Large extra fuel tank welded full length to counterweight, 1/4” plate body panels, solid bar ‘dog bone’ bucket linkage. Heavy steel skid plates below house etc… A local logging company here has a whole fleet of those green units (both feller bunchers & roadbuilders). High walker undercarriage & double grouser pads.

  4. #4BC Placer gold2024-11-04 21:47

    I wasn’t aware of the rotec failures…is that an ongoing issue? Sure would be a disappointment and an expensive repair…

  5. #5PeterP92024-11-04 22:05

    Just another Deere Forestry machine. Any Deere logging equipment, processors, bunchers, skidders, log loaders and forestry excavators are that color. they changed from the yellow to green in the mid 2000s I believe. A common sight here in British Columbia. The pictured machine is either a 2554 or 3554.

  6. #6Johhnycanuck2024-11-04 23:03

    I haven't heard of one failing for a long time. I was told it had to do with DHSP adding the forestry packages to construction machine's but not recutting the surfaces for the rotec afterwards, and they would eat bearings. Guys in the bush started to associate JD yellow with failed rotecs, so when they fixed the problem they switched to green

  7. #7BC Placer gold2024-11-04 23:20

    Good info, thanks!

  8. #8Welder Dave2024-11-05 03:40

    I think the forestry models are made/modified in BC. An excavator model with a high walker raised undercarriage was doing clean up and a little help fixing my MX track after the wild fire in 2010. It had dozer type track pads. It was a model 2054 or something like that. I can't remember exactly but it was almost new.