Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gremlins

Casetractorman ยท 2013-03-26 17:21

Ok .. so to go along with all the other annoying issues that come with older machinery .. here's one that will ruin an operators day .. My Case 9030b will randomly and without warning .. go to sleep .. by that I mean the hydraulics completely disengage .. nothin .. not one hydraulic function will work .. yes the hydraulics lever is engaged .. yes I have replaced the switch .. yes I have completely removed the switch mount thinking that it was a non-contact ground issue .. all to no avail .. Digging along and it stops .. I swear at it .. kick it .. start throwing things out of the cab because Im so POd .. I cycle the hydralic lever sometimes 5x sometimes 500x before it goes back to working .. Somebody please help .. point me in a direction .. my foot hurts from kicking it and swearing at it doesnt seem to hurt its feelings .. Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1pf/l2013-03-27 21:54

    Has to be something in the wiring that's intermittently making contact. Any safetey switches by chance on that machine that may be locking it out as well? Don't ever recall there being any on excavators but just a thought. Ryan

  2. #2watglen2013-03-27 23:54

    I know on my machine the safety interlock switch goes through a pile of relays and such before it gets to where the work is. Best bet is get a schematic from somewhere and start checking the whole circuit. ( advice like that only comes from years of schoolin'! ) Good luck :drinkup

  3. #3ddigger2013-03-28 00:08

    I can offer no help to you(sorry). I have a gremlin in my horn, that I have been chasing for yrs, wont honk when needed, honks without being asked, wont honk at all, honks when parked, even for a wk or more even when no ones around (got a call from the cops). There is nothing that I have not replaced, rewired several times, including the horns themselves. I am not sure if the old girl is trying to tell me something or not, but I`m listening.

  4. #4watglen2013-03-28 06:55

    Have you seen the movie Christine ? Be afraid, be very afraid!

  5. #5Randy882013-03-30 21:53

    Casetractorman, had the problem your having but mine was on a linkbelt, try switching solenoid valves on the valve bank, the solenoid that controls that function in the valve bank on mine was weak, do some checking with a ohm meter and find out which one controls it, switch it with a valve that controls like the cushion or another one, you won't have to use the lever to activate the lock then, but instead push the cushion button to unlock the hydraulics, if that cures the problem, install a new electric solenoid valve, its quick, simple and easy to find out if its in the valve or wiring, if its the valve, the problem will be solved, if its the wiring or a circuit breaker, the problem will be the same, then its onto more looking to find the problem. Best of luck

  6. #6Casetractorman2013-07-25 07:13

    an update for the record .. the gremlin (I hope) was the connector to the pilot control solenoid .. there is an 8 spool solenoid valve of the side of the hydraulic tank .. by schematic . bottom right hand toward the access door .. got the little devil

  7. #7WMFSLLC2013-07-25 08:41

    I had the same problem with my 9020B , behind the seat there is a fuse panel and a storage box, in that location there is a board with relays, replace the relay for the hydraulic control, I have not had the intermittent problem since I replaced the relay