There have been many posts here discussing "Grey Market" excavators and the availability of parts. I know some brands have many differences between the two but what kinds of experiences have others had with Hitachi? In the last 20 years of working on heavy equipment I've seen very few of these problems with Hitachi excavators until you get into the mini's. Ex120 and up appear to all be pretty much the same. Actually, I believe the EX60 and EX120-1,2&3 are all considered grey market machines because Deere had the same size machine in their lineup. The only one that I have seen with significant differences is the EX200-5. The US machine has much less electronics on it than the grey market machine. The grey market industry put a major dent in the US dealers overall profits so I'm not at all surprised when they don't want to deal with them. I use the US version manuals, along with Deere manuals to work on them, I've put Deere parts in them and I've never found one that my DR EX will not communicate with. I'm very curious what others have found. Any thoughts?
OK I'm new here and new to Construction equipment. I have about 100 hours of Dozer time, some skid steer time, less than 30 hours pan time...you get the idea. I do have thousands of hours on tanks....LOL. I've heard of grey market compact utility tractors but never excavators. Here grey market means cheaper, most often Chinese made unit that are not built as well and almost impossible to get parts for in a reasonable time. They sell under names like Jenma or NorTrac. Couple of years ago you started to see Jenma dealers pop up all over. Most of these places stopped selling em because they couldn't keep the customer happy because of break downs and time required to make repairs because of parts availability. Rick
I have never had any problems sourcing parts for Hitachi machines either domestic or gray. Right now though you have to go through the Deere dealer and I haven't been doing that kind of work for some time. Pape is the Deere in this part of the world. They are aggressive and helpful for the most part in my past dealings with them. If you had the right parts book come with your gray you didn't have any problems sourcing parts. The electronics issue came up with machines built expressly for other parts of the world. Komatsu for awhile put out excavators with both the full electronic package that included programable operation and electronic joy stick controls and the opposite machine with no computer at all. If you had a Hitachi that had more than what was usually sold in the US then you had one of the special units. Many of the options seen on machine here now only got that way because they were tried on gray machines and customer start to demand them on US machines. The Seattle/Tacoma ports seem to have been the main entry of gray markets but plenty also came through Vancouver, CN and the Port of Los Angeles. I've seen and worked on most of the brands that came through and each was an animal to its own. Cat was particularly protective while Komatsu and Hitachi just rolled with the issue. Kobelco and Yutani were the same thing and Rhine Equipment did a pretty good job on parts back then. The Kobelco dealers now don't want anything to do with the old units. Most will just shine you on with a bunch of BS. Now days there are Korean makes coming through trying to act like the old gray market machines but I haven't seen the kind of quality from those makes than the original Japanese units. I have yet to see anyone trust a Chinese machine in this area. I have wondered how the grays were accepted through the middle and east coast of the country.
The only Grey Market Machine Hitachi I have seen was shut down on a job.Because there were no Safety Devices.Travel alarms etc.
The EX-5 series were the start of big differences. Final drives and sprockets can be different as can be the pumps. The ZX seems to have more differences and I am still finding out more as parts are needed.
I purchased a Hitachi EX40-UR mini excavator not knowing it was a gray machine. I would like to do some repairs on it, what is the best way to get replacement parts for it. Also are there any members that have a EX40-UR model? Tanhks JIM
Has a bad starter on a 160. Took it off and took it to Pape to make sure they had a match. The starter they came up with looked different. They even looked in their yard to scavage one. Had the old one rebuilt. Had another one go bad on a different machine and my helper replaced it with a new stock one but it worked fine. Saved the part number. These starters burned up because of a wire rubbing and shorting on the solinoid. Had a third one with the same problem but just moved and taped up the wire and have had no problems with it. It's not a bad idea to check for this wire- white one if i remember right.
I'm sorry dakuch, I didn't notice this was an older thread and I just glanced at your question. The dealer would be the place to start. For other owners- check out the "Compact Excavator's" board on the forum list or click on this:
I have been running a Hitachi 50urg for a couple of years. I was impressed at the welding job on the machine. Parts have been easy to find and not out of line with other prices. Kind of sad there are no proper manuals.
I have a Hitachi Ex60, 1991, 4000 hrs, bought it used 3 years ago, before I bought it I made sure I could get parts and a new engine if needed. Ive had no probelms with the machine (other than self inflicted minor ones) have had no problem getting any parts Ive needed. Love it
old hitachi I am working on a ex 200lc hitachi ita a strait 200. Anyone know anything about rebuilding the hydrolic control valve? This one is leaking in the hi psi side in between the 2 halves. I am hoping to just re seal it and put it back in. Is this a good idea? None of the functions are effected.
Can anyone tell me where I can find a service manual for my hitachi ex50urg. It overheats in about 15 minutes of running
If it's similar to the ex50u, there are some manuals and such on ebay Link 1 Link 2 Link 3
Whats it doing exactly, Ill assume you checked the water and oil levels. Refer to my thread about 2 years ago had the same problem, turned out it was a clog in the fuel line.
Hi Looney, I have a EX50 URG and it was over heating due to the leaves/ rubbish getting stuck in between the radiator and the hydraulic oil cooler, it is very easy to take the radiator out to clean the rubbish from in front of the core, you have to drop the coolant out though. Mine has a turbo charged 3AD1 Isuzu engine in it and a while back the turbo compressor wheel was touching its housing, this over heated the engine also plus it made a howling noise, I had to get the turbo rebuilt, I ended up installing an automotive aftercooler on top of the engine cover/compartment, so that my engine breathes much more cooler air then previously, when there was just an air box inside the engine compartment, I could not see the logic behind the air box stuck inside the engine compartment!.
I think those manuals are for the newer models that pivot at the base of the boom. There isn't much similarity to the older models that have the fixed base at the bottom of the boom.
Thanks for the info. I noticed very little movement of coolant in rad So I decided to have the radiator flushed. There was some debree between rad and gys cooler so that may help. Thanks again
overheating Looneyro, I cut a vent in the side of the casing last fall and it made a huge difference in the air exchange in the engine compartment. Its only 8 x 14 but it seems to do the trick.
I have a ex 75 ur hitachi 1994 and in need a crank- rods and oil pump for the motor a nissan bd 30-022268 any help would be great thank you [email protected]
dont buy a grey market excavator they have more problems then its worth
gray problem yes i know now but im in deep can you offer any info thank you Dave [email protected]
Not my experience at all, 1991 EX60, bought 2 years ago paid for its self in the 1st year, have been able to fix any problems and find parts for everything.
Not even sure the age of the one i have, but it's a runner. They all need parts and repairs. What kind of problems are you finding hiluxman? Worst one i have run across is crap in the banjo screen. Nissan is a brand name should be no problem sourcing parts.
Abdul you think you could take a few pictures and share them? I think everybody who has machines like these are experiencing the same thing. The air box in the compartment is not such a good location. When i added the vent on the side it reduced the temperture big time.
Charlie, Certainly, I will take some photographs and post them on this site. Compared to where the temperature gauge used to run before, now the needle does not even get to the half way mark or above made a heck of a difference. Abdul.
Charlie here are some photographs of the automotive style aftercooler on my EX50URG that I installed. This was put together in a hurry as you can see, but it works well never the less. One could make it more efficient by installing a 9" sucker fan on top of the aftercooler I guess. Abdul.
Hi Abul, that looks really interesting, so you just bolted it on to ports that were blanked off. I haven't even looked at the engine much but i think this looks like a good idea. Not to sure if you even need a fan on top. Going to have to go to the junk yard and look for an aftercooler. So when your running a turbo on that block do you have a bigger pump on the back of it? Thanks for the pictues.
Hey Captain, I am not sure what you mean by the ports that were blanked off. I believe what you said is true, you don't really need a fan unless you were working the machine out in the desert somewhere!. This AD1 Isuzu comes with a STD turbo but with an air box instead of an aftercooler. I do not think there is a bigger pump installed in this machine, but I do know it has what looks like an implement pump installed "after" to drive a hammer etc, someone has moved the counter weight 8'' further back to accomodate this implement pump. I can give you a hand to install an aftercooler like I have in your machine but not as a rough set up as mine !. I am on the south side of Brisbane, North Maclean, if you want to have a better look at my machine set-up. My machine has seen better days though, but it works never the less, good enough to scrape around in the back yard I guess. Thanks Abdul.
have an ex100 that someone left the roof hatch open and cab filled with snow.now engine wont rev up.keypad or processor is bad i presume.i dont have a manual or shematics to diagnose,any advice or schematics would be appreciated. if i could retrofit in a manual control or advance throttle with switches it would be less costly than calling a dealer and having a tech diagnosing,as mileage is a killer when they usually make two trips.
what series is it (-1,-2,-3) I'd start by checking fuses for corrosion and let us know what does work/light up etc.
The only real problem Ive had with grey machines (hitachi) is swing boxes and motors,travelboxes and motors and wiring harness connectors not being what they should be. I also worked on a grey ex600 that had a motor that I couldnt find parts for in north america....that was fun.
Hey Abdul I’d love to come over for a barby and beers but I’m on the wrong side of the planet. You thinking of sunshine coast, but you’re not thinking west coast of British Columbia now are ya. Tad bit of travel time involved but not that i wouldn't like to though, thanks for the invite anyways. I was trying to figure out where the after cooler hooks up to on the engine but probably only the 3AD1 model has the ports. You have the 3AD1 where most of these machines come with the 3AB1 engines, first time i heard of a turbo model. They don't recommend using jack hammers on these booms if they articulate. Do you have a thumb on your stick?
i got over to the machine,found every connector i could see,relays and fuses,unplugged everything and checked for corrosion and moisture,dried out whatever i found that was wet,i am starting to suspect its the keypad/engine control panel to the right of the seat.its stuck on the p setting and anything we do wont make it change.all other functions seem to work. its an ex1006-2. thanks again for your help.
Dr zx is the easy way to detect the problem. Do not do anything stupid it will worsen your problem.
i take it the Dr XZ is a diagnostic scan too,i have been using them in the automotive industry since the early 90's and found them very useful until bad circuits knock out a processor,then its useless .90% of computer diagnosis is testing circuits reading wiring diagrams.the more i research and dig into this machine,the more i wanna go with mechanical throttle control linkage.simple, reliable and foolproof.i am also securing the roof hatch so it cant be left open again.
Beer and BBQ ! Captain, That is funny, I did not realise that you are on the other side of the world, if you ever do come to Brisbane, you are quite welcome for a beer and barby any time!. That is what it is all about I guess!. Yes, a lot of folks out there have never heard of an EX50 URG with a turbo engine!. The are two wiggins coupling at the front of the stick, I gather these were used for hammers etc by the previous owner, I can see why the shims from under the articulated joints has been spat out partially, it was probably due to the hammer attachment!. I cannot see a thumb, not sure how it was operated if it ever was. My machine has seen better days, even though it has 5000 hours on the clock, I am not sure what is an average life of such a machine ?. If your machine does not have a turbo engine, I guess you will not need an aftercooler, as NA engines do not produce much heat I guess, you would be better of with an electric fan in front of the HYD oil cooler, that will help a lot. If someone is having over heating problems, I would be checking the thermostats, timing, coolant condition, size of the fan, valve lash, etc ....even air flow inside the engine compartment. Abdul.
yes you are correct. but all old mechanical machine will soon dry up. i think we dont have a choice sooner or later.
By the way engine throttle is not a problem in this machine. Its the hydraulic system. The hydraulic components of this machine is design to work with a computer. So good luck if you wanna try to experiment.
well,went the mechanical route,used a marine throttle cable,built a throttle comtrol with adjustable idle stop and max rpm stop.just curious,what is the max rpm an ex 1006-2 should rev?
P Mode is 2350+-50
will set it at that,thanks.
so installed the manual control,set the idle so machine doesent feel like its vibrating itself to pieces,max rpm adjusted and it seems to be working smoothly.thanks for your help...
I have an EX50URG also. The engine block froze and cracked about 2 years ago and we could not find a replacement 3AB1 diesel engine for it. I modified the motor mounts and installed an Iseki 3 cyl engine with lower hp. The hydraulic pump bolted right up, but we had to cut a hole in the door for the oil filter to clear when the door was shut. Problem with lesser hp is the machine works slower. Can you supply information on where you get your parts? Or a used 3ab1 engine? I heard this engine was also used in tractor trailer rigs to run their freezers, but have not been able to locate one. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Skdaddle, As you might have read further up this thread that mine is a 3AD1 engine (turbo but still a 3 cylinder). I obtain my engine parts from http://www.zenith.net.au/ here in Brisbane Australia, my machine (EX50URG Landy) parts from the local Hitachi dealer here in Brisbane also. I don't know much about a 3AB1 engine except it is a 3 cylinder, non turbo engine. Your best bet will to keep an eye out for 3AB1 or 3AD1 engines in New Zealand, is where I noticed these engines are for sale on websites etc. If I come accross a 3AB1 or even a 3ADI engine for sale, I would certainly let you know . I will do some searching and investigation and let youi know. 3AB engines are actually an ISUZU industrial engine I believe.
Grey hitachis cats and kobelcos are identical apart from normally having a short under ca rraige. Its a ******** name put on jap imports by salesmen from main dealers, gray imports in the above named are as good if notbtter than some of the crap the maun dealers try and sell us with so called "warranty"
i have a 1990 ex50urg and i cannot fid a swing motor any ideas ,thanks [email protected]
have you compared ex40 motors it would be worth a try the parts you need could be interchangable ,like shafts and spider gears!
im working on it ,at this point we have sent it out to see if we can get the gears in the housing repaired
Hi jc One of the members (Rush) did his gears awhile ago the thread is "93 hitachi EX50 URG" and the number is 1427. If you can reach him he maybe able to stear you into a good direction. Regards Charlie S.
We had good success putting all new o rings in the main control valve of our ex 200-1. Would recommend it.
I have 2 grey market 200s , one non grey 200 and have not noticed a difference in small parts at all. Maybe some of the larger components ? Found them all to be excellent machines.
My company had two grey market Cat 320's. And we still have a Japanese D6H. Everything is in chinese or japanese characters, nothing ever fits, cylinders are different specs, etc. The machines themselves work perfectly well, but from the ground up you can tell they were manufactured overseas. As an operator I was happy with them, literally no difference compared to our other, NC machinery, purchased machines, but the mechanics and parts people sure would cuss up a storm when something cam apart.
have you been able to get engine parts? need thermostat and housing
Can anyone tell me what contry this beauty hails from? Ser#
Japan
Japan is where this machine was sold? I know Hitachi are made in Japan.
yes. this machine were sold in japan
Do you know how I can get a parts manual for this mechine? The North American mechines are not the same. Are the Hitachi's sold in The Philipines the same as the models sold in Japan? Salamat.
I think my American 185 excavator is a Hitachi UH07 grey machine. Did Hitachi stamp model and serial #s on these old machines some place else on machine. There is a American model plate under the boom. Looks like there was a plate on inside the door. Its gone. The front idler has UH07 casted on the shaft bearing blocks. Thanks
They were usually stamped on the house frame in between the boom cylinders.
That is a one very interesting photo. Might i suggest you do a Google image search on following Hitachi Model "UH081" or as it was orginally called in Japan a UH07-5. As far as Serial No. goes there was only one place for it on Japanese Domestic Market Machines & as you have quite rightly pointed out ,it was attached to the inside of the door. On Export Market machines S/no. was stamped in a brass plate attached between the two boom lift cylinders. If you let me know what S/no. you have found looks like , might be able to see if it lines up with what Hitachi used. Heres a little bit of back ground info if your interested. These (UH081's / UH07-5's) were produced from about 1980/1981 through to about the end of 1983. Should be powered by Hino naturally aspirated straight 6. Engine Model EL100. Kawasaki pumps, Swing Motor & i think control valves as well. Hitachi made their own final drives for this model excavatior as well. Parts for these lovely old bits of gear are pretty hard to get through Hitachi , Especially track gear.
Thanks. It has Model 185H Serial# 185118H
Unfortunately that is nothing like what a Hitachi S/no. for a UH081 would look like. So , now that you know what Hitachi model you now own, you should be able to find out through this wonderfull forum site a raft of usefull information if you ever end up needing to know something about it. P.s. I think the UH07-5/UH081 was marketed in the U.S under Hitachi's Model Name UH082..
Thanks for the help
Excavator your help would be greatly appreciated if possible. I own a hitachi EX60 URG with a final drive that needs replacement. The problem I am having is finding a replacement. Hitachi made many EX60 -1,-2,-3,-4,-5 with your experience should the final drives for theses models be the same. My machine is known as a URG but does not specify -1,-2 etc. It is a grey market machine and have acquired all manuals, parts manual, and service manuals for the machine (was not easy to track down) I have contacted my local Deere Dealer and they seem to not want to be bothered and have told me they cannot get a final drive for my machine. Have found some final drives online -2,-5 models but part numbers don't seem to match up. I have also considered having the final drive - ring gears rebuilt but local Deere dealer tells me they can only get some components but not all especially the main components. EXCAVATOR please any information would be greatly appreciated. Im Stuck
EX60URG has the same final as a Deere 70D I just brought in a pair of used units to run through our recon shop. Parts are available through Deere or from user here named Uffex. Have you taken yours apart yet?
Thank you for your response and help. Yes I first remove the outside plate of the gear assembly on the final drive to find all my gears chewed up. Ring gear,sun gear etc. With your experience would you say it is worth rebuilding and if so could the problem be in result of something went wrong on the hydraulic portion of the final drive. I apologize for the primitive explanation on parts my experience with machines is very limited. Should I purchase a complete final drive or do you think rebuilding the one I have should be sufficient. Down time on the machine is killing me because of course it couldn't have happened at a worse time.
I have also tried to contact HR and they told me they don't support my machine I am in trouble I have spent the last 2 days contacting everyone trying to get this figured out. I have also got the scamatic for the Deere 70D final drive and you were right they are identical. Still cant find one contacted Deere all gears are not available. I Am Screwed. CANT FIND ANYONE WHO WANTS TO REBULD IT . Has anyone ever had this situation
We cannot supply NEW replacement, we CAN supply Rebuilt exchange. I sent you a private message with my direct number. My phone has been ringing off the hook today with people looking for you. Call me!
Hitachi EX120-3 ECM I am located in California in the United States and I have a Hitachi EX120-3 I have replaced the wiring harness and I need a new engine control module. Because this is a grey market machine no one here has the capability to program the ECM. is it possible to order one of these that has already been pre-programed to my machine? the following is the information for my machine: EIN # Serial # Eqpmnt Type Make Model # ** Yr Purch Dt InSrvc Dt Engine SN Make Eng MN ** Yr HP Engine FN Disp DW5J43 12V41234 Excavator Hitachi EX120-3 1994 9/16/1999 8E/JE Isuzu 4BD1-TPZ 1994 80 N/A 5.9L I Have spoke with all the local dealers and even a bunch in Canada and I am not getting any help on this part. The Local Hitachi dealers are based through John Deere and have told me that they are not able to help me because they cannot program the ECM because it will all come up in Japanese. I am at a dead end and I really need this machine to work again all I ned is a new pre programmed ECM can anyone help me?
Hello guys, I figured I would toss in my issue on this thread since it was covering the machine I have (EX60URG). I would really like to find some books either Hitachi or the corresponding Deere. I am pretty sure that the rotation manifold needs rebuilt, which caused A/B circuit to communicate with the case drain thus blowing out the shaft seals on the motors and planentaries.
I'm not sure which thread I responded to earlier about this but the rotary manifold on an EX60 URG, EX60-1 and Deere 70D are all the same. The only difference would be whether or not you have a blade but the seals ect. will all be the same.
Thank you, I found a place (Finney Equipment &Parts) that I was able to get the parts manual from. I did read somewhere on this thread that the Deere 70's where fairly interchangeable for parts.