Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Groaning main cylinder on PPM ATT 400

Mic Bailey · 2018-08-16 16:17

Hi, the main boom cylinder on our PPM ATT400 mobile crane is groaning at two different angles as it is extended or retracted. The groaning vibration type noise can be really loud, especially when the fluid heats up. In the mornings it tends to be quieter. Also the cylinder rod has black rings on it, probably caused from from the seals rubbing as the cylinder groans. Please can anyone help us diagnose what may cause this??

Replies3
  1. #1crane operator2018-08-16 17:19

    Seals on the cylinder can get old and hard as they age. Especially if the crane has set for a while without being used. Might be worth looking at what the oil looks like in the cylinder- pop a hose off with the boom in the rest and dump some oil in a bucket. If you have something going to pieces in the system it can show up silver/grey or black. My guess would be a seals/ orings dried out and maybe one folded over. I think I'd be pulling it apart and seeing what's going on. CAT used to sell a hydraulic additive that would reduce chatter, I've seen a crane that the additive really helped. But I would only explore that if you have torn apart the cylinder and made sure nothings wrong in there. One other thing to check- you could have debris in the holding valve, or its not working right, not allowing the oil to flow back out of the cylinder like it should. The rubbing marks on the cylinder leads me to think seals though.

  2. #2Theweldor2018-08-16 17:32

    I would check to make sure your cylinder is ok as crane operator suggests. Link - Belt also sells some type of slippery additive for their hydraulic systems if an issue like this arises and all else is good. I believe we put about 5 gallon in the 8060 to get the chatter out of the boom cylinder.

  3. #3rudychiri2023-08-04 06:47

    Hi there just wondering if you problem is been resolved I’m having the same noise coming out from my boom cylinder on my Manitex 22101S