Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grouser OTT Tracks

lccmo ยท 2007-12-04 17:41

I think I am about sold on OTT steel tracks for my skid steer but what are the down falls? are they a PITA to take off when needed?

Replies49
  1. #1bobcat ron2007-12-04 18:46

    The first few times you have to put/take them on/off is a real PITA, but after a few rounds you get faster, my Dad always swore very heavily at them on his 943, that's where I learned some of my favourite cuss words. The only downsides are; increased side wall wear on the tires and added stress on the drive train and they still don't help with stability and overall floatation that you can achieve with a CTL.

  2. #2lccmo2007-12-05 22:37

    how badly do grousers squeak?

  3. #3bobcat ron2007-12-05 23:22

    Only as loud as your ungreased loader pins I'd say. But seriously though, you won't notice it if any, the pins are not as tight as traditional pins and bushings like on steel crawler tracks, they are pretty loose.

  4. #4lccmo2007-12-06 00:24

    Thanks for the information.. I am going to talk to my dealer tommorow about a set.

  5. #5CascadeScaper2007-12-06 02:14

    The OTT tracks will add a little flotation advantage, but as Ron noted, it won't be as significant as a CTL/MTL. I've seen guys take tracks off in 30 minutes, some take about an hour, depends on how quick you are and the brand of tracks as I know some are easier to remove than others. They squeak, but not very much. As a given, driving across asphalt is pretty much asking for trouble, I'd say more damage than a triple grouser excavator but I could be mistaken.

  6. #6redkat2008-02-14 19:46

    Im thinking about putting a set of grouser bar tracks on my S150 bobcat. Im looking at the bar tracks. Most of my work is on slopey ground, which when wet i just loose traction........the ground is mainly clay type. So can i assume that the grouser bar tracks are going to be a big improvement? Other thing i was wondering about was what sort of clearance is there between the boom and tracks.............on a standard bobcat there does not seem to be much space, so with tracks it must nearly touch the boom if you put it down to far??

  7. #7bobcat ron2008-02-14 20:45

    I think you might need spacers on the chassis to keep the loader arms from hitting, on the older 763's it was easy, but the newer S150 and 160's it's tough to say where the spacers need to go, I've never seen one up close.

  8. #8BIGBEN20042008-02-14 21:57

    They will help allot on climbing things like curbs and such, but I have seen allot of shredded tires from them. You will want to foam fill your tires. If a rock falls down on the tracks between the tires and you run over the rock you will blow out the tire and crush the rim like a pretzel. I have seen that done many times and also a simple nail in the tire can be a pain to fix with the tracks on.

  9. #9redkat2008-02-14 23:05

    starting to seriously wonder if to bother with getting the tracks..............seems like lotsa pros and cons, and i dont know any locals who have tracks on there skid steers............maybe they know something i dont.......... I have to say the local grouser agent has been next to useless in getting any infomation on tracks................between two branches of the same agent i was given a totally different number of track sections needed! certainly that gives me no confidance.........got most of my infomation off there website..... Had a look at the Mclaren tracks which look just as good, but theres no agents anywhere at all near where i am. About the only thing i can go on for performance of the tracks are the Mclaren steel track video on youtube which are quite impressive. Is there anybody who can say anything positve about the bar steel track? Maybe i should just get a proper tracked skid steer but they look like even bigger problems maintenance wise.

  10. #10redkat2008-02-14 23:09

    "They will help allot on climbing things like curbs and such, but I have seen allot of shredded tires from them. You will want to foam fill your tires. If a rock falls down on the tracks between the tires and you run over the rock you will blow out the tire and crush the rim like a pretzel. I have seen that done many times and also a simple nail in the tire can be a pain to fix with the tracks on." I have to say the simple nail in the tire while you have tracks on, in a difficult location sounds like a absolute nightmare, as much as the rock or whateva between the tracks....................ok now im scared.

  11. #11bobcat ron2008-02-14 23:09

    You can always look into getting a new or used Loegering VTS system, they are extremely popular right now for those that want a wheeled and a tracked machine, but not 2 separate machines.

  12. #12redkat2008-02-15 01:14

    The Loegering VTS system looks good, just emailed for a quote, i would expect them to be pretty expensive............... But somehow i would expect the grouser bar tracks to have more traction going up slippery clayish soil......................be interesting to see what price loering come back with.

  13. #13BIGBEN20042008-02-15 08:39

    The VTS system will have much more traction on slippery surfaces then any tracks over tires will. The VTS system applies more even weight distribution. With the Track over tires the tracks between the tires have no weight pushing them down on the ground so that part of the track is not as useful as the parts that are under the tires. Also when in heavy mud and hilly work the tires get wet and like to spin out inside the tracks. Then you are just stuck.:Banghead

  14. #14Countryboy2008-02-15 18:48

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums redkat! :drinkup

  15. #15stumpjumper832008-02-20 22:29

    Warning, solid or foam filled tires and tracks can be a bad combo. If a rock get between the track and the tire, the tire has no give and the stress goes onto the axle occasionally busting that. My suggestion is to use a slime lined tire like galaxy's lined tires. Nails will not cause leaks, and you get the cushion benefit of air. Of course if you really want a track machine, a ctl is the way to go.

  16. #16BIGBEN20042008-02-20 23:31

    I agree totally with you on that one and have done it myself to a Cat 262 where I actually broke the bolts on the drive unit that holds on the tire. Also though with air filled tires I have blown them off the rim and turned the rim into a pretzel by getting a rock on the tracks between the tires and running over it. I just don't like tracks over tires.

  17. #17redkat2008-02-21 01:09

    pity we cant get some more coments about people who have had tracks. Finally found a set of grosuer bar tracks secondhand for a good price, so going to give them a go.............

  18. #18philsbs2008-02-21 11:01

    I bought a set of used Grouser tracks 4 or 5 years ago and really like them. We have alot of red clay around here and they make it push like a dozer. I only put them on when I have to over stock air filled tires, never had a problem. It only takes me about 30 min. to put on and 10 min. to take off after you get the hang of it.

  19. #19TFPace2008-02-21 15:06

    I have a set of Grouser tracks and swear by them. They are a pain to load a steel deck trailer Tom

  20. #20Countryboy2008-02-21 20:26

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums philsbs! :drinkup

  21. #21dirthog282008-02-21 20:38

    I've got a set of Loegering steel tracks that I run on my 773, actually the same set I had on my 743 years ago, never had a bit of problems with tracks holding up. I run standard hd sidewall tires on mine and never had problems with tires shredding. It is a pain when you occasionaly have a flat, but not that big of a deal, as long as you have the rachet tool with you and not at the shop, which is usually the case for me. The tracks help tremendously in mud and on slopes, like a smaller dozer with them on. I usually run tracks from fall to spring, unless we have have special job. Like somebody said 30-45 minutes to put on after you've done it a couple times, but not that bad of a job. Our 743 had the same arms and frame you have and we had to have a boom stop to prevent the tracks from hitting. OTT in my opinion are a great cheap alternative if your not crossing pavement a lot. I'm thinking of going with the VTS on my next skid, but for now (OTT)$1,000 vs (VTS)$10,000 I can keep laying down plywood for the few occasions that come about.

  22. #22norrodbh2008-03-08 23:39

    I ran a set of loegering trail blazers on my s-175. Absolutely a must have in your bag of tricks. I got myself into trouble a couple of times when I had to go get my tracks and drag them over a hill side to get my self back out. Having the tracks allowed me to take on projects I would have had to turn down without them. Granted they are not the same as a tracked loader, but I didn't own a tracked loader It got really good at putting them on, and taking them on. I could install the pair in about 25 minutes, and drop them in 5. Catching a nail is a hassle with the tracks on, but it's just another thing that can, and will go wrong on the job site.

  23. #23bobcatmechanic2008-03-26 23:23

    grousers are the way to go they are heavy dutyt and stand up to abuse just keep them tight and you wont have troubles with them alot of guys dont do this and thats why they slip foam fills are highly advised and if you are going to put them on and leave them on get some bobcat severe duty tires or comparible and run them they last a long time just dont run them in the mud by them selves they tend to ball up and not clean out but logreings are junk light tracks that bend easy and the bolt on track systems are very expensive and useually require you to cut one of the chains off the front or back set of tires in the chain case area in the center of the machine but keep them tight and go with grousers i work for a dealership and the grousers hold up well even used grousers are good

  24. #24norrodbh2008-03-27 09:28

    These loegerings didn't use chains. They are heavy duty and serve me well. Seen here

  25. #25skidspec2008-03-27 10:34

    Why don't you look at the Loegeering VTS System for your skis steer. It will cost you considerably more money, but you will have a much better system than over the tire tracks. It will convert your skid to a true rubber track machine, but will still give you the versatility of a skid. You can swap back to tires in less than an hour. The VTS system also has a suspension, so the ride is better than most dedicated rubber tracks on the market.

  26. #26KSSS2008-03-27 14:12

    My experience is the same. I have a set for a 465 CASE they are the Trail Blazer type. I don't use them often but when you need them, you need them no way around it. The machines increased ability with the tracks is really unbelievable. The PITA factor is also there. Mostly with the install and getting a flat. However for the relatively inexpensive costs involved with purchasing them, it doesn't take many hours to get your money back. I also bought a VTS system for my 440. So now I have the ability to track both machines if needed.

  27. #27HillBoy2008-03-27 16:58

    I've heard about McLaren's Protrac tracks and also found them on the web. They seems quite impressive option. Has anyone had any experience with Protrac or the company that makes them?

  28. #28Countryboy2008-03-28 21:05

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums skidspec! :drinkup

  29. #29NateV2008-03-28 22:24

    We have a set of Grouser tracks for our Case. Like others have said they add a lot of good things to the machine. You can drive over pavement with them on and theres not much damage. Just dont turn and if you have to take it easy. We run ours on the factory tires. It could take some time to put on if you havent done it for a while and only takes about 10 min to take off. The hardest part is getting the right amount of tension on them. We just got done with a sewer job and if we didnt have the tracks theres no way we could of done the job.

  30. #30landtekk2008-03-30 00:02

    Grouser tracks I'm on my second pair of grousers and think that they are great. Well worth the money, considering cost of other options.scott

  31. #31mxridernrth2008-04-09 03:13

    Mclaren Diamond I've got the Mclaren Diamond tracks and I can tell you that they make all the difference on hills and in muddy terrain. I can climb up stuff that I'd never be able to touch otherwise. The only problem is when you have to go on pavement. They can leave marks. I use ratchet straps to put them on and it goes pretty quick with one person - about 1/2 hour. I'd be faster if I did it all the time. I'll post some pics if I can figure out how.

  32. #32Countryboy2008-04-09 21:03

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums mxridernrth! :drinkup

  33. #33Bob Horrell2008-04-09 21:46

    I had grouser OTT tracks on my S250 and liked them a lot. Then I went to the VTS system. The difference between a wheeled skidsteer and the over the tire tracks is doubled with the VTS system in almost all conditions. The only thing I didn't like about the OTT tracks was that it put your bucket up higher so the front edge sloped down when finish grading, which makes it want to dig in. Both systems work good but the VTS is much better. Of course it costs more, but I got my money back quickly in being able to do jobs I wouldn't normally do.

  34. #34mxridernrth2008-04-10 02:27

    Thanks Countryboy! I must be too new because apparently I'm not allowed to post attachments .:beatsme What Bob says is true though, I need to run a spacer plate which doesn't let the bucket go completely flat. Subsequently grading is a bit of a pain. I almost bid on an ASV RC50 on ebay today; it went for $17600. The wife wasn't too happy though and put the brakes on that deal - for now. It would be nice to have the Loegering VTS system, but for the price of a set I can almost get a used tracked machine. What to do?

  35. #35Countryboy2008-04-10 03:35

    You need one more post before you're off your probationary period, which will allow you to start new threads. You should already be able to post pictures in existing threads though. Either way, after your probationary period everything should work out. Just let me know if it doesn't.

  36. #36BruceJ2009-03-24 06:39

    Re:Grousers Had mine for as long as this thread....on my 863. Use them for very steep property i live on moving logs etc.Think they are great, added weight keeps BC stable and lift more. Does put strain on motor as i blew head gasket recently.Mind you, i lift some heavy stuff and dig heavy soils(clay)..

  37. #37dirt worx2010-04-04 21:29

    Do you need spacers for the bucket or wheels on the 40xt or 60xt?

  38. #38skidsteer.ca2010-04-06 09:36

    For easy on and off you can't beat the tracksplus.com line of tracks because they weight 1/2 as much. (and cost 1/2 as much too.) Life span has been pretty good at 1500 plus hour and at 250 to 300 lbs per side you can manhandle them. They can be adjusted 1 inch at every pad and any pad can be unbolted and replaced should it ever be required. I have used Logeuring, Grouser and McClaren and still have a set of the bar tracks from both Mclaren and Grouser as well as a set of tracks plus on my loaders. I'll always need one set of bar tracks for winter use (Mclaren has the advantage there) My loader run tracks all summer long, rarely do I take them off and I have not seen any problems with distroying tires, rim or axels, bearing etc. imo the only reason not to run them is your going to work on concrete etc for more then a day or two. They are a great asset anytime you are in the dirt. Protecting your tires, increasing your pushing power, your machine will cross mud like it weights 1/2 as much. not as good as a ctl, but at a much lower purchase price and lower maintenance cost too. Ken

  39. #39mark4502010-04-07 06:12

    I have had grouser tracks on several machines...they work great...once you get the idea of putting them on and off it's not that bad..some jobs i could simply not do without them...in my area there is alot of tree farms ..they all run tracks when digging added traction and stability...some machines do require wheel spacers and or boom stops...by the way i have a set of four wheel spacers if anybody is looking...

  40. #40dirt worx2010-04-07 20:08

    Looks like Tracksplus have the competition beat. Better price, lighter and easier to install, comparative traction, what else? Can they be rebuilt like the others? Thanks for the suggestion skidsteer. Anyone else have feedback on Tracksplus tracks?

  41. #41skidsteer.ca2010-04-07 22:50
  42. #42skidsteer.ca2010-04-07 23:08

    There is only 4 parts to their track Pad Side link pin nut (to hold pin in) Any damage component could be replaced with two 3/4" wrenches. The pins and side links can be replaced if they wear out b4 the pads. However the pin also rotates in the pad so that hole will wear out eventually too. But this designs slows the pin wear by speading the wear area out over the whole pin. Pins are 5/8" dia. No bushings, but side links are only @$3.50 each. Pins under $1. I have over 40 sets out, I had only one fellow break anything, a couple side links, until he realized one of his attachments was catching the front tires. The only bad thing I have to say is they won't run in wet snow. Snow balls pack inside the pad until the track gets rediculously tight and you have to stop. Dry snow is fine. I bought a set of McLaren diamonds for winter work. Heavier.Hard on turf, but good in snow. Only 9/16" pins, that are locked to the pad (pin only wears in side link) Smoother running track because it has more pads. Quiet at first beause they oil the pins. (likely good for breaking them in with less wear) Not as massive as the Grouser bar tracks, but still a good track too for a medium price. Grouser tracks came on a used machine I bought. Very heavy, easier on turf because the bars are wide enough they don't penetrate the turf, usually. Parts are replaceable but cost and labour will make you think about buying a new set of Tracks Plus. Ken

  43. #43ghamons2010-04-08 09:10

    test they are great

  44. #44grinchy722010-04-27 22:08

    Wheel spacers I I'm to new to start a thread yet, but I have a question about wheel spacers. I have an old John Deere 675B and I need wheel spacers to put on tracks.I need at least 3" spacers due to the way the machine is built(to clear everything) Does anyone know if I can use 2-1 1/2" spacers?

  45. #45mark4502010-04-28 05:37

    i'd be real carefull doubling spacers could be trouble.. if you do make sure they are real tight and lock tite them.....i guess it would work if they mate up ok ...just remember tracks alone add alot of stress to axles space em farther adds to to it...

  46. #46grinchy722010-04-28 13:48

    Thanks. I'm not sure how else to get them to work.

  47. #47backhoeboy2010-04-29 05:46

    I love them, they come off easy, they do need ajusted now and then.

  48. #48LKOIVULA2011-12-02 12:03

    Right track system-edmonton alberta-repairable,no slippage,replaceble parts ,replac

  49. #49LKOIVULA2011-12-02 12:10

    Bought the right track system in edmonton,alberta,canada,no slippage with inside bars-3 times better pushing power than tires.good flotation in mud.very cheap to rebuild.i believe best on market