Hey new to the forum and new to owning a crane.Worked on and around them for years. I recently purchased a 74 grove rd 180 awesome old junk of iron. Had a boom hydraulic leak start. Rolled the winch and assembly down off the back of the boom with the help of my backhoe lol. Changed all hydraulic lines and still have a leak so I'm assuming it's a cylinder, looking at the back of the boom I'm at a loss for removing the cylinders I keep hearing the term hockey pucks used to hold the front of the ram in place any help or pics is appreciated thanks,Jake
Yeah Jake , TD 180 grove like this ? http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/10760051/1971-grove-td180
Yes sir just like it but mine is all wheel drive thanks for the reply I'm still getting used to the format of this site seems like a good group of guys with a hell of a lot of knowledge
And sorry meant to say td180 dang phone
OK , Cool ! Don't have anything on the TD series . Do have instructions on the TM models from 1971 . Boom set up is very similar. They slide out the back of the base section with help of another crane , forklift ,or loader .
OK the paperclip isn't loading but after I pull the horizontal pin that the cylinder for the fly pins into the boom how do I turn the ram end of the cylinder loose from the fly section of the boom. I haven't torn into to it too far I'm a little nervous not going to lie. But if everything comes out the rear sounds like I just need to go elbows deep in the old girl
Should be a small cover on the outside of the boom to get to the ram end pin .
Ok so I have to have the fly boomed out to remove the fly cylinder and the mid boomed in. And vice versa for the mid cylinder? I have two separate controls for mid boomed and fly boom
Sorry if I sound like an idiot I have worked on a lot of heavy equipment I can tear down and rebuild just about everything cat dodge or international just never had a crane boom tore down
It's a little hard tell but the mid tele cylinder sits inside of a box. Looks fairly easy to remove. Go buy or make your own 20-30lb sledge and those pins will slide right out. Then it appears you take bolts bolts (D) out. At that point the whole box will slide out. Then knock the pin at the end of the box out and slide the cylinder out of the box. I'd guess the mid tele cylinder needs to come out before the fly tele cylinder comes out. I'd guess the manual TD posted may not be exactly like your but I'd bet it's dang close. Nothing beats jumping in with both feet. Those old groves were simple machines.
Yes , run the " fly section" out 3 or 4 feet and look for a small cover on the side of the boom .
You'll have to have the fly boomed out just far enough to get to the pin out on the ram end. The mid shouldn't have to be boomed out at all. Gradall telehandlers use the same system of putting the tele cylinder inside of a box. Pretty simple once you get into it.
Awesome thanks guys I've been kind of looking and scratching my head the mid cylinder does appear to be in a box assembly. Thanks again I'll dive into it tomorrow and update
Didn't get too far into it poured all day but turned the mid cylinder and box loose from the boom ready to start wrestling it out beautiful simplicity.
Well I ran the fly out far enough I can unpin it then unbolted and pulled the mid cylinder and box. got it out looks like the boom has to come apart to get the fly cylinder unpinned from the rear