Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Grove RT60S no longer drives.

ichudov ยท 2017-02-25 23:33

I have a Grove RT60S crane. Everything used to work and it drove around. At some point I noticed that sometimes I have to put it in and out of Drive gear to make it go. But it was all OK. Now it sat for like 3-4 months, I started it occasionally and the batteries were charged. However, it no longer wants to drive. If I put it in drive gear, it shakes a bit, wanting to go, moves maybe 2 inches and no further. It is as if it lost all its driving strength. Any idea why this might be happening and what should I check. Thanks guys, you are awesome!

Replies5
  1. #1Knepptune2017-02-26 03:41

    Transmission fluid. Should be a metal pipe.coming out of the bottom, right side if your under the crane facing the front of the transmission. The cap is actually a dipstick. just like any other transmission check the fluid with the engine running.

  2. #2ichudov2017-02-26 11:00

    Thank you! I will check it today or tomorrow. Any idea what might have caused the loss of the fluid?

  3. #3Knepptune2017-03-04 11:24

    Could be a number of things. Could be a slow leak, could be transmission fluid leaking into the hydraulic system somewhere. If your not losing much fluid, I wouldn't worry about it to much.

  4. #4ichudov2017-04-04 21:16

    OK, I started it now and amazingly, it does drive. On the previous try, when it would not drive, the weather was freezing and now it is like 50 degrees outside. I am guessing that some valve froze.

  5. #5Knepptune2017-04-04 22:34

    The transmission filter is very freeze prone. Have you changed that. The filter is remote mounted between the transmission and the torque converter.