Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

guard for portable track press

robmcallan · 2025-12-11 07:31

Hello looking for ideas on a safety guard on a portable track press, we use multiple size presses but after a near miss incident, been tasks to see if there is a guard that can go over the press's while in use that at minimal suppress any trajectory objects. Thanks

Replies9
  1. #1pumkinhead2025-12-11 08:07

    this style are the only guards im aware of for a cframe style press, it doesn't offer much for protection but its something.

  2. #2DDoug2025-12-11 09:34

    IIRC OTC offers a wrap around shrapnel blanket.

  3. #3Mike L2025-12-11 19:42

    I like to hold the button while hiding behind something that will take the shrapnel for me

  4. #4HarleyHappy2025-12-12 10:23

    When using any type of press, I usually try and position a moving blanket to hopefully trap or slow down any flying debris, while also trying to stay out of the line of fire.

  5. #5treemuncher2025-12-13 10:37

    The moving blanket idea is good but I would recommend a welding blanket because it is heavier and has more mass. I have one that is super heavy that likely came from Harbor Freight. With that in mind, a piece of conveyor belting might be even better. I would still put a blanket on first to initially slow any projectiles and then conveyor belting on top of that. Chain mail would also make a good safety guard. Anything flexible with a heavy mass is a good start to contain flying debris. I use conveyor belts to contain debris on all of my cutterheads. They take an amazing amount of abuse before they have to be replaced. Personally, that would be my "Go-To".

  6. #6Mike L2025-12-13 13:04

    Covering it up sounds good in theory but in reality I like to see what’s going on. I’ve already bent 2 of my pusher pins with my press. I really don’t want to know what happens if I keep pushing on a bent pin until it grenades.

  7. #7Nige2025-12-13 13:21

    I agree. The best motto for the press operator is to simply stay out of the line of fire, and also make sure anyone else that might be around knows exactly what's going on and stays well away from the work area.

  8. #8treemuncher2025-12-13 14:10

    Maybe make a guard out of heavy gage perforated metal? Able to see what is going on yet contain most projectiles. Or put a camera inside to watch what is happening. Plenty of Bluetooth options out there.

  9. #9Welder Dave2025-12-22 22:36

    Need some transparent aluminum ala Star Trek.