just getting more opinions.......I see some dozers with the guards on the track rollers and some without. Are they only of benefit in extreme conditions in rock? What are peoples thoughts as to their usefullness?
I have two brand new sets off Dresser 15C's that were on less than a day after we bought each machine(21 years ago). Worked in all type of dirt and rock and never had an issue. Dad's view on it was when somthing did get in between the rollers, etc it was much harder to get out. I have a D6H at my job now that doesn't have em on either and we are in rock all the time. Never any issues. I'm sure some guys that are using larger dozers ripping rock etc might have some other ideas or reasons for having them on. I think its more of personal pref. than anything. Trbo
Seconded. More trouble than they're worth IMO, for the same reasons as above. We work in hard rock all the time and don't use them, so if we don't need them who else possibly could ..?
thanks very much guys.........that gives me more confidence....I'm changing out all the track rollers and to get to them have to cut away the one side that still has the gaurds fitted (they are welded onto the track frame) and was really wondering if it was worth trying to track down a set of gaurds and fit them as a summer project. For now I'll cut the guards off and leave them off. Thanks for taking the time to respond...it's a big help out here.
some gaurds act as track guides too so, depending on operating conditions they track/s may jump off, what machine are we talking about?
Good point. Are the guides welded on ex-factory or are they an afterthough on someone's part..? Some machines have limited roller guards installed that perform a dual function as track alignment guides. If the welding appears to be non-factory I would say you could remove then with confidence.