Well I'm trying to place a bid on some gravel road grading and I have to give a price for spreading water per mile.... Well I've never paid attention to how far the water truck goes. Anybody have a general answer... A 3500 gallon water truck spreading across an 18' wide road in one pass. How many loads does it take per mile? Any general ideas? Thanks, Paul the "Buggyman"
Paul I cant give you an exact.Are you going to be cutting down and processing your base with a blade? or just watering the top? I can get decent soaking on 1200 feet of road with a 1500 gallon water truck. I generally dont water that far unless I am finishing and letting the water truck make a pass to soak in a bit before I blade it. If you are processing base I get half that distance on multiple passes.On a small road like you have I am speaking of. for just a top shot of water,I`d say four trucks on that distance.To soak it down good I`d say 6-8 truckloads.. To process 8 or so inches base,double that last guess. Gene
Thanks Gene! Just want I needed to know!!! Thanks a lot. Paul
Hi, I would be sure before I turned in a hard fugure. How fast the truck is going will also decide how far a load goes.
How close is the nearest hydrant ? If it's not close you will need a 10,000 litre/2200 AU/2640 US gallon tank minimum to keep ahead of the grader . And when he sits down for smoko and lunch , you had better head towards that hydrant again . We work by the hour with water trucks and also charge for the water .
I am sort of unsure as to the poster`s intent with water.If he is processing base(rolling it with his moldboard and watering it to achieve an optimum moisture and get the gradation to make a strong road base it is going to drink a lot of water. If it is just to finish with where a good soaking shot and then light shots to achieve a slick finish the amount will be much less than required for processing. When I have a lot of base to mix.I keep two water trucks running.As one loads the other is spraying my material in between passes as I turn it with the blade. Either way,a mile of road you are gonna drink some water on that base. just my two cents..Hope it helped the poster some. Gene