Hello all, new to the forum. We have a 140H Motor Grader that will not reliably shift into the reverse gears. After working with the CAT manual, we discovered a fault with this little switch, seen in the photo below. It has no part numbers and CAT reps don't sell it individually -- and the new shift mechanism is over $800 bucks.. we would obviously like to find out if the switch is available or if another workable solution has been found to save the money. Thanks in advance, CJT
I'm sure I've seen those for sale individually. I think I had to break the part number of the assembly down in NPR and get the number for the switch. I'll look tomorrow at work when I can get on sis.web
Thanks in advance -- any help would be great.
Chris, any luck on that part number?? Thanks, CJT
Not yet, I haven't been into work, I've been sick.
Sorry to hear it -- I spent the better part of today researching electronics stores in the area, and have been working on a possible fix by fabbing a new bracket to hold a toggle switch... we'll see. Hope you get to feeling better soon. -CJT
I've been thinking about this for quite some time. I fool around w/ working on guitar's & amps and that looks fairly similar to some switches in pedals and what not. I wonder if it has 24volts as a power source or a smaller voltage reference being that its such a small gauge wire. Take a look on here www.smallbearelec.com
Chris, Thanks for the reply. I didn't see anything in the parts section that was an exact match, and most of the similar items were on/off switches. The part in the gear selector is actually a two-pole switch; one pole for forward, the other for reverse. The closest thing I could find was a double-pole industrial toggle switch with momentary (ON); in order to make this work I'm going to have to fab up some sort of mounting bracket so that the switch can't roll around on me when the machine gets going. The dangerous thing about this is that if the switch gets jammed or broken in any position but the neutral (OFF) position, the control board might be sending the wrong signal to the hydraulic system, resulting in dangerous movement or damage of the pistons for the tranny. I'm fairly certain my idea will work, but I'd much rather use a direct replacement for the faulty switch; it's a much better design than the toggle and it seems to have lasted quite some time... but in typical big corporation fashion, all of the product markings are missing from the part. -CJT
One thing about it, you could always carefully dissect it and see if you can see any visible damage or wear that could be repaired or replaced out of another switch. What are you out of right
lol.. yeah. I thought about that too.. except I imagine taking it apart will be a hairy operation as it's glued shut... we'll see.
Hacksaw or razor blade should do it. Not trying to persuade you though.
Cat 140h problems we have a 140H that has stopped working on 3 4 and 8 alternating forward and backward 3 and 6, it is someone who knows what might be wrong? Sincerely joel w