Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

H.E. Mechanic/Technician

m.t.s ยท 2013-10-21 10:34

I was wondering about employment in America. Either I am doing something wrong or is their not a demand for H.E. Mechs? What I mean is, I applied at least 15 companies without any replies the past two months. I spent hours on a computer inputting my personal info on varies websites. I don't have any certifications from any schools, so I think that's what the problem is. Alittle about myself, I servered in the military for almost 9 years as Heavy Equipment mech, and since then in the past 4 years as a contractor for the military doing the same thing and more. A combined experience of over 13 years. I have worked on old equipment and the latest. I have a lot of experience in Cat and John Deere. I have had training by CAT, gone to every available advance school finishing first in class. I am unemployed now because of my contract was cancelled due to the big budget cuts. As contractors we know their is no job security, but the pay is good. I have been trying to land a job in Texas(from there) for the past two month without success. So I guess I am asking is, is it because I don't have any certs or didn't go to a tech school. Or is the a low demand in this particular profession?

Replies6
  1. #102Dmax2013-10-21 11:18

    No certification is probably what's hurting you. I'd think your experience would override the lack of certification but maybe not. Some places want experience, some places want a certified workers. I'm same as you, lots of exp but no cert whatsoever. But I've never looked for a job either, been self employed for quite awhile. Try North Dakota or Oklahoma, I've been asked to go up there several times. High unemployment is helping you any either. US isn't big on bringing people in when they hire the people already here. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

  2. #2m.t.s2013-10-21 11:40

    Originally I am from the Dallas/Ft Worth area. I only still live in Japan until I get a job. I have told every employer that I could do a video confrence or fly back and meet for a job interview at my expense. As well as I would pay for my own relocation if employed. The the thing is no one has gotten back wih me at all. The companies that I worked for in the past were promt and informative, but I guess thats the contracting profession.

  3. #3Mike L2013-10-22 20:06

    have you applied with any of the oil companies? south texas is booming and I would think you could find work in the oilfield. also, it might help if you were actually over here and could talk to people face to face. a firm handshake and looking someone in the eye is worth a lot.

  4. #4m.t.s2013-11-03 01:51

    Update. I had an interview last week! And more companies have expressed interest as well. I am fly/moving back to the states on the 19th! Need to do face to face interviews and some skills test.

  5. #5Per Eriksson2013-11-03 16:10

    Interesting, good luck and keep us updated.

  6. #602Dmax2013-11-03 17:03

    Good deal. Glad to hear it. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2