Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

H & H 24″ high capacity buckets

popsiclepete ยท 2012-04-18 21:47

Does anyone have any comments on H & H brand 24" high capacity backhoe buckets? Are they any good? What is the best brand for general purpose trenching? The case 590 I'm purchasing has this brand of bucket and I've never heard of them. It's in excellent condition, has side shaving plates and has heavy duty on the brand tag.

Replies13
  1. #1JGS Parts2012-04-18 22:34

    did the bucket come with a mill certificate so you can know what the steel grade is? as you can make a beautiful looking bucket out of crap mild steel H&H never heard of them myself.

  2. #2Deere John2012-04-18 22:42

    I have H&H 12", 18" and 30" buckets on my 310C. All in the HD flavour. The have a website and are in Burlington I believe. Their products are well made and durable. I recently sought out and purchased a used H&H 2.5 cubic yard snow bucket for the same machine - I researched them and found them to be the best on the market for my application. I don't think you will be disappointed. Having said that, I also have a Deere 2554 Forestry excavator that builds logging roads year round. The 48" H&H bucket on that was too light for our application, and we basically brutalized it to near death in 1200 hours. We are upgrading the teeth and shanks from 39 series to 43 series as well as adding the heavy wear strips on the bottom. Wrong bucket originally for my tough application.

  3. #3popsiclepete2012-04-18 22:53

    I'll check tomorrow. What would be a good grade steel?

  4. #4JGS Parts2012-04-18 23:01

    Popsiclepete mate basicly what you want to look at is the thickness of the tooth plate , what material it is now for a tooth plate i would recommend a Hardox 400 or a 450HB grade other steel but make sure it is a wear plate and not just some cheap manganese plate , I own a bucket factory and mate a lot of companys like to use Q345B steel it is a mild steel and it will get you about 2000hrs life out of them just be careful but it all comes down to how hard you will be working the bucket and your price but basicly mate just see what the bucket is made out of.

  5. #5popsiclepete2012-04-18 23:01

    That's good to hear. I'm going to take a better look at it tomorrow. Is the H & H better than a Case OEM? The reason I'm asking is when I originally looked at the hoe it had a different bucket. When I went back to make the deal it was gone, the salesman said he would find the original bucket. When I went back today this is the bucket they had for it. The salesman is gone till next week but this bucket is in better shape, so if it's as good a quality I'm okay with it.

  6. #6popsiclepete2012-04-18 23:04

    Thanks, I'll let you know tomorrow evening.

  7. #7Deere John2012-04-18 23:18

    Many pieces of equipment come without a bucket when new. The dealers and customer can pick their buckets as new, and frequently, H&H buckets show up on new iron as "OEM" hardware. My two Deere are examples of that. Brand name OEM buckets also come in standard and HD flavours, so watch what you are getting. On a Backhoe, I would take H&H HD buckets before i would take a true OEM. I called H&H a number of years ago with the S/N of the buckets, and they still had the line cards detailing their build - steel, application, pins, spacing of holes, bushing kit numbers, tare weight, tooth style and numbers etc. As I said, I believe they are a top-drawer product for a TLB.

  8. #8popsiclepete2012-04-18 23:26

    Thanks for the great advise. I'm leaning more from this forum than any school or training course I've taken in years.

  9. #9Deere John2012-04-19 21:35

    Thanks. There's a lot of us here who will pay it forward when we can.

  10. #10popsiclepete2012-04-19 22:48

    Stopped in today to see the bucket but the service manager was not in. I had also asked for the mechanic to go through the unit and advise of other potential problems. I got back to work and received a fax indicating the following: -Front u joint needs attention. This should be done ASAP -Washer doesn't work.(windshield) -Horn doesn't work. -Slight weeping at turbo. The use joint I will get fixed, the horn and washer are minor and I will get fixed. The turbo leak is what I need advise on. Do I spends the money now or wait and have it break down when need it? The Turbo had some oily residue around it and you could see it wad leaking for sometime. How can you tell when the outside should replace? The mechanic said if I was closer to the dealer (not 100 miles away) he would possibly leave it, but do to the distance and the fact that they. Have the machine in the shop now he would advise it. I plan on using the hoe as soon as I get it and can't afford down time. It's not that having it fixed would cause a financial hardship I just don't like paying for something that may not be required at this time.

  11. #11JGS Parts2012-04-19 23:04

    mate basicly i would just fix it now if its not going to worrie you the dollar side of it and also what you need to think of is the down time worth it? also how about just buying the parts and if it dose break down later are you capable of fixing it yourself? but i would try and fix as many issues as possible with a machine before i started using it.

  12. #12popsiclepete2012-04-19 23:22

    Yes that's kinda what I was thinking. Then I know that's okay even last thing to worry about. Thanks for the advice

  13. #13JGS Parts2012-04-19 23:48

    welcome mate anytime thats why we are all here