Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

left/right pedals

Leon Phelps ยท 2012-04-18 19:19

1971 580ck after last winter my left/right pedals are real tough to use. they stick sometimes too. I have greased the top fittings, all 5 of them. Same result. Anything else it could be?

Replies8
  1. #1mikey12012-04-18 19:49

    something underneath catching or sticking possibly?

  2. #2case 580sm2012-04-18 19:51

    They could be seized, you might have to take them apart. Are they getting grease properly when you pump on the grease gun? What's the condition of the grease nipples? It's common for them to seize, had a 86 580e and it did the same thing. Take it apart and lube it all up with permatec antifreeze, but before you might want to take a wire brusch grinding wheel, or grinder to get off all the grime, and rust on the bolts, it does help when you grind them off because they screw back in better, so I recommend you do it. Best of luck let me know who she goes, case 580sm

  3. #3Leon Phelps2012-04-18 21:03

    grease comes out in between all of the metal pipes so looks like lack of lube is not the problem. guess I start taking it apart.

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2012-04-19 00:30

    My 580K did trhe same thing. Took it apart, cleaned the old dried up grease out, and lubed it with some lightweight oil. I forget what it was now, but maybe like a 3-in-1 oil or similar. Put it back together and it was like new again. I was amazed the dried up old grease caused all the headache of the stiff controls. I was sure there was something binding, but there was not.

  5. #5Leon Phelps2012-04-19 06:55

    thanks. now to get a day free to do it.

  6. #6Leon Phelps2012-04-19 21:09

    disconnected the linkage. left pedal free. right pedal hard to move. sprayed wd-40 in the two points I could see (outside and the center of the bar). no real difference after. Any idea how I will get this out? I dont see how this will come apart.

  7. #7Leon Phelps2012-04-20 21:09

    nut under the dirt pile. blew it off with a torch..wiggled it then put some grease, good as new.

  8. #8JDOFMEMI2012-04-20 22:18

    Works nice when its all cleaned out, doesn't it