Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Had a pleasant surprise today

Welder Dave ยท 2026-08-29 03:08

I had to go out to old property to pick up the quad to scope out the new property I'm hoping to get rezoned. Took the quad back and thought I'd see if the dump truck would start after sitting for several month's. Fired right up and kept running. Slight bobble after about 30 seconds but recovered in a second. Putting the shorter filter on the M11 was one of the simplest most effective fixes I've done. Thanks to Truck Shop! Also the Liquitube I put in the grader front tires didn't lose any air at all. Nice to have some pleasant surprises for a change.

Replies4
  1. #1BC Placer gold2026-08-29 06:36

    ^^^That is good news indeed! I had similar issues to you on our 1989 IHI tandem dump (L10). I also put on the shorter Baldwin fuel filter, helped some. But...still had problems starting after sitting. Got to the point where even pressurizing the fuel tank did not work. Installed an inline 12v pump right close to fuel tank yesterday. Now starts up within 1-2 seconds and, also can use throttle immediately without engine stalling (this engine is completely mechanical; Cummins PT pump) No doubt a 'cheat' solution hah! fuel tank will have to be dropped and all new fuel lines should be installed.

  2. #2Truck Shop2026-08-29 07:05

    Internal pump leakage, combined with hose leakage. But if a piece of cast iron starts up after setting for periods {old or new} it's just dumb luck, {it's best to say as turning the key-- it'll never start} less anguish.

  3. #3skyking12026-08-29 11:46

    We did that all the time with the plane. Get some strangers loaded up, and hit the button and act surprised when it started.

  4. #4Truck Shop2026-08-29 21:47

    This is where--Horror Movie Cliche -{car won't start} is inserted.