Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

C-15 in Western Star died, then restarted and ran fine

LN Pipeline · 2026-08-27 20:40

Western Star with a C-15 (serial number NXS02232) was running fine, then sputtered and acted like it was starving for fuel when I slowed down, and died while I was going around a roundabout. I opened the hood and attempted to prime the fuel system, but after pulling the plunger up, I couldn’t press it back down. I had to open the bleed screw and let fuel out to get the plunger to go down. I then tried starting it. It fired right up and ran fine. The truck ran perfect all day, every day for 4 days straight right before this happened. No lights came on. I’m not sure if I can check engine codes with the “Datastar” on the dash. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may have caused it? Is it normal to have that much pressure at the fuel primer?

Replies2
  1. #1Tyler d4c2026-08-27 21:40

    Sounds like our sterling with a cat about once in 50 starts it will crank till you wear the starter out but turn the key off and try again its running before the sound hits your ears

  2. #2Truck Shop2026-08-27 23:46

    Check valve at primer/housing flipped and reset after moving primer.