Got a call Wednesday from the owner of our company saying that there was water of something in the power steering fluid reservoir on his king ranch welding truck. They were working about hour and a half away, I was thinking there is no way water got into the power steering system but I didn't argue I just went over there. Well I get over there pop the cover on the power steering fluid reservoir and it looked like chocolate milk. I was think holy crap how did this happen. Well I drained it and flushed it all a couple of times. The next day I found out what had happen, one of the hands was going to fill the washer fluid reservoir and instead of putting it in the washer fluid reservoir put it in the power steering fluid reservoir. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, last year someone put oil in the radiator, not once but twice. This kind of stuff always makes my day. Just thought y'all might to like the hear what I have to deal with out here in West Texas.
i know of a guy who bought a new tip truck he used it a while and then one night when it was low on fuel he couldn't be bothered to fill it with diesel so he gave the keys to his son who drove it to the servo proceeded to fill it with diesel after only taking 10 litre's to fill, the son rang his dad and told him that the left hand tank must have been turned off all along so it was still full of fuel and that he would come home and turn on the tank to allow full use of both tanks when the son arrived home his father pointed out that the balancing tap was already on, his question was then where did he put the diesel just here was his answer (pointing to the cap in the rear of the tank) he had filled the hydraulic side of the split tank with diesel if you want it done right just do it yourself hahaha
Iv had 2 cases here lately of methane gas syndrome!! by putting DPF fluid in the diesel tank!! the first got caught in time, dropped & cleaned tank, fuel lines, changed filter.. The 2 wasn't so lucky, the stuff crystalizes fuel filter,injectors, just 1 great big GOM!!!! both were Fords. im not really knocking Fords but you would think the engineers would use their head for something other than a hat rack!! put the filler for DPF somewhere other than side by side in the fuel door!!!! :badidea chevy & dodge both thought of the people that was going to drive their trucks & put it under the hood or on the other side of the truck!!
whereabouts in west texas are you briscoetab?
I had the fuel man top off my hydraulic tank with diesel fuel on my almost new at the time < 200hrs JD 772. I changed from the standard company padlock to a Master lock of my own, zip tied the cap so it would be hard to mistake the hydraulic cap for the fuel cap again. A few weeks later I get to the job and I didn't get fueled overnight, I called the fuel company and they said the fuel man couldn't open the tank because of the non company lock, I gently explained to him about the differences of hydraulic and fuel tanks and that different lock had saved them about a $1000 in draining,flushing and refilling the hydraulic system. He must have spread my gentle words to all his drivers as I never had problems with them again.
I have had windshield washer fluid put in the powersteering resorvoir on two different trucks here at work. Both of them were 6.4 liter fords. Flush everything thoroughly and refill, but both needed power steering pumps shortly thereafter. You have to love "imported laborers".
How about putting anti-freeze in the windshield washer tank. That makes a real mess of your view when your running down the interstate.