Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hammer Issues

D5GDevo ยท 2017-06-10 20:00

Howdy everyone. I just resently purchased a Komatsu PC-160 LC with a NPK E-210A Hammer. I used the hammer for maybe 12 hrs and noticed that it was leaking hydraulic fluid out of the exhaust hole of the hammer, not extremely bad but enough to make me stop before something bad did happen. It was still operating as it should. I greased the hammer about every hour of operation with the tool in the vertical position. I am not familiar with the internal workings of a hammer, but I hear they can be very dangerous to work on. Anyone have any info would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks in advance. D5GDevo

Replies12
  1. #1willie592017-06-10 20:36

    I haven't worked on an NPK breaker before, but I've never seen an "exhaust hole" on a hydraulic breaker either. Could you post some pics of the suspect area?

  2. #2D5GDevo2017-06-11 19:01

    Ok lol. It may be just a vent hole but anyway it has fluid leaking out of it. I'll try to post a pic.

  3. #3xr4ticlone2017-06-11 21:03

    My guess (I'm not a mechanic & not overly familiar with NPK) that shouldn't be open. It appears to have threads in it? Could be a place to put air for under water operation? A good hammer shouldn't be hard to fix. NPK makes a decent hammer, my biggest beef is with their price of parts and repairs. That said, if it's still working I would take it in and have it checked over. Meade or Erb look to be the only dealers in KY. I'd call and talk to both to see if they have a hammer specialist that just works on hammers. A surprising number of dealers are clueless on hammers, even ones who sell them.

  4. #4D5GDevo2017-06-12 18:57

    I check with my local dealer today and he said that fluid leaking out of that vent hole was a sign that the hammer needs servicing, 700.00 Seal kit. WOW. What can you do but order one and get it fixed. Hope it not out of my capabilties to repair.

  5. #5mikebramel2017-06-12 20:51

    Before you order it I would take it apart. Most of the time you're going to need hard parts also if you want to do a complete job. Before you take it apart, be aware of of the charge on the accumulator may cause things to move when you dissasemble

  6. #6xr4ticlone2017-06-13 11:05

    NPK makes a decent hammer, my biggest beef is with their price of parts and repairs. I've never rebuilt a hammer, but I know some are easier than others. NPK, from what I'm told, is NOT one of those easier to fix brands. http://read.dmtmag.com/i/726012-september-2016/33?m4= Page 35 + (Horrific title to great article on hammers)

  7. #7MrElectric032017-08-08 13:18

    D5GDevo- The plug that is leaking is called a drain passage. It provides a tell tale when the upper seals have blown out which yours have. The hammers are not difficult to disassemble if you have a 1" impact to remove reinstall the tie rods and you will need to use a small port-a-power to remove the sleeves. The biggest thing is knowing what to look for on the internal parts and most people freak out seeing normal wear and will condemn a perfectly usable hammer.

  8. #8Muffler Bearing2017-08-11 14:44

    Good to know we've got a few guys on HEF building hammers, I just started on them 6 months ago, they are an odd creature indeed, not a lot of manuals or support out there and dozens of brands.

  9. #9Tones2017-08-11 15:09

    I don't know anything about NPK hammers but a outfit I worked for many years ago ran Teledyne hammers. When they did a rebuild they replaced the 4 bolts that go down through the guts. They used a torque multiplyer to tighten, 1000ftlbs if I'm remembering correctly.

  10. #10Loganj222017-09-15 07:24

    I've rebuilt hammers for 2 years now and HIGHLY recommend you don't use an impact on tie bolts. It will cause stress fractures that will eventually make the bolts break and they are really expensive. I usually put the lower housing in a press to hold it and use a multiplier (17:1) I think.. torque specs are important! And be careful taking apart any hammer bleed off your accumulators first just to be careful. They can have close to 1000 psi or more in them sometimes.

  11. #11gearheadred2018-09-03 16:10

    check online to get the seal kit in the mail

  12. #12AzIron2018-09-03 16:45

    700 for a deal kits not a bad price the pistons are what gets expensive but if you tear it down replace the upper and lower bushings re seal the piston and the trigger. Sometimes the piston gets a little mushroomed where it hits the tool you can clean them up with a grinder Also you don't want to use an impact on the main bolts npk makes a striking wrench for them to tighten them up The hammers are really simple it just takes time to go through them keeping them clean and don't roll an o ring putting it back together If you take care of those npk it will take care of you I have some that are 25 years old and only been rebuilt once