This summer, I ended up bringing home an old Hancock paddle scraper. I saw it setting in the yard of a local equipment consignment auction house, so I ended up placing an absentee bid. I expected to not even come close, but whaddaya know, it was mine! It is relatively straight, but it had the typical repairs of something of that age. Patch plates here and there, with some added supports where previous owners thought it needed some... I pulled it home - most of the way. I ended up blowing one of the airplane tires that had about 10 layers of cords showing, about a mile from home. That was a story in itself... Needless to say, after the farm tire man could not get the bead loose, I pulled it home anyway. A few cylinder replacements and one repaired, I popped a few hoses. After a few trips to town, I got to try it out. Heavy old beast! Does anyone know much about these? I haven't decided if I'm keeping it or not, but I would like to paint it up anyway. I'm not sure of the capacity or what color its supposed to be. It may end up Cat yellow when I paint the 955l.
That's a nice find kb9tci. It's my understanding that Hancock Manufacturing pioneered the elevating scraper. I never was around the pull type version like you have but have hauled many a load with a Wabco C pull elevating scraper. The trail unit on the Wabco was of Hancock design. http://www.ritchiewiki.com/wiki/index.php/Motor_Scraper That looks like a great setup pulling the Hancock with the Oliver. Just by the looks I'm guessing its around 8 yards.
The oil' oliver can pull it, but I definitely need some more weight!
That's a pretty cool Oliver, Is it a 1955 ? My last issue of heritage iron had a nice article on (EL TORO) version of that model www.heritageiron.com/store.php?crn=220&rn=502&action=show_detail Does the Hancock seem to load well? I could see a lot jobs where a pan like that would come in handy. Don't see many pull type elevating pans around . I'm kind of surprised more company's don't offer them . With the farm tractor having the PTO I would think it would be a big advantage.
I know Hancock made the bowls for most early self loading pans. Except for Cat. Cat used Johnson for the J619 and J621. Hard to see from that pic, does the floor slide back to dump? I don't see the rollers for a sliding floor.
The Oliver has been in the family for 3 generations! It was the first front-wheel-assist in the area. It is an old 1850 diesel with the 6-354 Perkins. It runs a little stronger than it did at the factory It likes certain conditions for soil from what I've seen. Sod is a hard pull. Disked soil kind of piles up at the front. It will cut clay real good and leave a shine. I have not got to try it too much, yet. I am curious what it can do. The 1850 will pull it pretty good since it has a narrower cutting edge for the size.
It's pretty slick with the dump. The pan is split in two halves and both dump forward at the same time. It uses one set of cylinders with linkages.
Sounds like the Oliver is part of the family, That's cool! We have a few tractors on the third generation as well. When starting a job on sod I like to disk up the ground first just to break it up so the grass will mix in the dirt & spread better. Something else you might look into is adding teeth to the cutting edge . They make a world of difference loading. We have 6 teeth on the Wabco.
That's a good idea on the teeth. I am going to try it out a bit this spring/summer to see what it'll do. We are building a house with a walk-out basement and reshaping a pond, so I am going to be trying it out quite a bit alongside the 955L. Olivers have been in my blood since I was born. Our family has bled green with no Deere blood Quite an assortment starting with a Super 55 and ending with the 1850.
Do not disc , you will regret it .
See post # 852 In Wabco Scrapers at work. Originaly the scraper had six teeth in the middle and then we went to the system pictured. That made a dirt hog out of her, 22 yds in less than a minute. (stay out of my borrow pit!) Wish I could get the old gal fixed up enough to make a video to show how well that worked. Maurice
That's interesting Maurice. Mine would have had 4 teeth to begin with then we decided to add the two outer teeth later. Pretty happy with it. We also figure about 45 seconds to one minute on load time. Amazing machines for there time and today's standards
My dad had one when we still had our farm. I remember my dad saying it was one of the better ones available. I remember it worked great until we blew up the drive for the elevator drive box. We couldn't find another drive or components so it became a pull scraper. Knowing what I know now I would have adapted a John Deere or Cat speed reducer to it.
Ive seen a couple of these sitting in the weeds in my area. I also had a customer that had a later model 11E-4? pull type with a hydraulic drive elevator, the drive pump was mounted on the dolly frame and ran off a shaft from the tractor PTO. The owner said a Case 4490 with single tires was the cats meow to pull it with.
I really like the idea of the teeth. I have looked around on the interweb a bit and have found some teeth and weld-on brackets pretty affordable. Around $200 would buy a set of 8 H&L style teeth and adapters. I have not worked this machine enough to decide if I am going to fall in love with it or paint it up and put it up for sale. It will probably get a coat of yellow when I paint the 955L either way... I picked this machine up before I got the 955L. I've already got the dump truck, so I have considered letting this one go. Then again - one can never have too much equipment, right? I will keep telling myself that until my wife let's me know different ***
I think you will notice a big difference in the scraper with the teeth installed kb9tci. I looked around some and so far the only current builder of a self loading pull type scraper I could find is Miskin. Note the teeth on the cutting edge. http://www.miskin.com/Elevator.htm
Yair . . . On J621's and 627's I thought the tooth adapters bolted on using the cutting edge bolts . . . or am I misrembering? Cheers.
Don't know about J621's or 27's Scrub but the four center tooth adapters on my Wabco in post 8 are bolt on. The two extra that I added on the outside were John Deere bolt on . I had to modify them abit then we welded them to the cutting edge. Teeth were good for about 800 to 900 loads on the last job. Most of it was clay but got in to some sand stone at the bottom. The way I look at it is if teeth help on a backhoe or excavator bucket they also seem work good on a elevating scraper cutting edge. In a way I'm ripping & loading at the same time .
kb9tci That's a older model hancock. later they went to a wider flights on the elevator and btm sliding door with a blade that dropped down when the slidng btm moved back , then a back gate completed pushing the material out. Never saw one of those work but I did see one up close in Ark one time-many years ago. Had a Johnson 11yd that dumped simular to yours once. worked well. I have A 12E (pull type) and a 292c now. Use a moline G1000 (100hp)to pull the 12E. The peope at Claredon mfg in tx can tell you all about your scraper (supply parts). The elevator drive gear box is from a 1.5 ton ford truck about 1940-45. So,Be gentle with it. I had to cut a tree out of the way to get a pinion one time. Also, the cuting edge is supposed to stick out farther( 6-12") under the elevator than on the sides. the reason is that the elevator will not pick up the material on the out sides and it will pile up there and just get drug along.
Fj, thanks for the info on the gearbox. I can see the resemblance, now! Would you happen to know the official model number and capacity? I still haven't decided if I'm keeping it yet. I have not put more than a few loads through it after it was spruced up last fall. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
hello td25c; I just joined the form after doing an Internet search on Allis Chalmers TL12 and TL14. I started browsing and found your post about the Hancock scrapers. I bought one a few years ago and had plans to pull it with my D2 crawler. the serial number on mine reads (N45 1364). I too am curious about the numbers meetings. I would like to know the age of my machine and the volume of material it could hold? I was told that mine was an 8 yard scraper, but I never was sure if I believe that. like I say I am new to this forum and will try to post a photo of my machine, wish me luck.
well I didn't work very well, let's try another button
Boy, that looks familiar! Welcome to the forum!! Have you had the opportunity to use it much? Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
no I have never used it. I used to own a small housing development and had plan to landscape but was offered a reasonable selling price for the development. I took the money and now the scraper just sits on the farm. I actually join the forum because I recently purchased a TL 14 Allice Chalmers and have owned a TL 12 for some time now.I ran across this forum as I was looking for information manuals on the TL 14. I was surprised to see a post about Hancock scrapers, which brings me to our conversation. I am interested in selling my Hancock as I have no need to landscape anymore. If any of the members have solid ideas on what these scrapers are worth I would sure appreciate the information. I will probably advertise it locally in the paper.
I am thinking mine may have a price tag hanging on it this summer as well. I have it all fixed up and working with good rubber and hydraulics, but I don't think I'll be using it much since I've got a track loader and dump truck. I'm not sure what I'm going to ask for it. I've seen a few sell on internet auction for a lot more than what I'd expected. Here's an example of one in rough shape that sold a few years ago: http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?110510A/6441 Here's a nice one http://www.tractorshed.com/contents/adpic52444.htm Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
ouch! Mine is in a lot better shape than that one but I paid much more than that for mine.
I pulled it home - most of the way. I ended up blowing one of the airplane tires that had about 10 layers of cords showing, about a mile from home. That was a story in itself... Needless to say, after the farm tire man could not get the bead loose, I pulled it home anyway. I am curious about your old airplane tire and how you got it changed. I had worn out 28" 24 ply airplane tires on a early C4 Treefarmer log skidder. I ran them flat for two years trying to break the bead. They did not even squish unless I had a big jag of trees behind. When they got pretty well busted down I split the two piece wheels to find out that the airplane tire beads go all the way to the center of the rim nearly touching each other. No wonder the tire valve was right in the middle and the bead would never break down.
That was a treat. I should have taken a picture or two of that fiasco. I ordered the "new" tire from an outfit in Alabama. When it came in it was already buffed to fit a lock-ring rim, so that was going to make things a little easier. I called our tire man to come out where I had it parked when it blew. He monkeyed with it for about an hour and did nothing but lift his service truck off the ground trying to push on the ring with the crane. I went over there to meet him after he called and told me he gave up. I asked him to follow me home to see if it would work itself loose a bit in the 2-3 mile journey. I pulled it with my truck as fast as I could stand to pull it to see if I could walk it loose. Nothing crazy fast, but it sure felt like that tire should have flown off! I did not want to go down the highway, so we stopped to look. The only thing that I had accomplished with that was rattling my teeth loose and got the tire smoking hot. I had one last stretch though the field to get it to the farm, so he me me at the farm to drop off the tire off the back of his truck. I offered to buy him lunch for his troubles, but before we headed out, our curiosity and inability to accept defeat got the better of us... I was still hooked to it with the truck, so he hooked to it with his crane as well to brace it while I positioned the backhoe to push the tire off the bead with the teeth of the bucket. He spotted me and I slipped a few teeth behind the bead and used the extend-a-hoe to push against the tire. Well, it kind of worked. I was more successful in pushing my truck sideways about 4' and lifted half of his truck off the ground, but the rings started to move as the rusty bead started to move. As the rings started to come loose by means of a BFH and tire tools, we started to get excited. Prematurely. The rings finally came out, so I hooked the outer bead with the hoe bucket teeth and pulled on it while he took his hydraulic bead breaker to the back side. It was about all his bead breaker could do, but it came off the back bead after quite a few attempts. Now, the easy part. Or not. The tire should slide right off, right? Not exactly. By the time I gave up, I had my truck drug the other direction and had his truck on the other two wheels. The tire was not coming off. The tire man did not think my next idea would work, so I had to try it. I unhooked the hoe, he moved his truck, and I took off with the scraper with my truck to the field. I made about a dozen circles in one direction and almost a dozen in the other to see the tire take off down the field free from the rim! That was half the battle. The rim is sized for a 20" tire and I would guess about 14" wide. It had 16" wide bias tires, but I found a 17.5" wide radial that was the same height. That does not sound bad, but I swear the bead on each side of the tire was 3" thick! We slid the tire with the tube and boot on the rim after he shined it all up, but it was far from where it needed to be to get those rings in. Out comes the backhoe again. He was able to push on the sidewall far enough for him to slip the rings back in with his boom as I braced the other side with the bucket. At least that took a lot less effort to do, and nothing else came off the ground or slid sideways! I still bought him lunch!
Hi I would like to buy your scraper. can you contact me with more information . Thanks Ray
hi seaweed. What kind of information are you looking for? I have taken some photos and can post them if the group doesn't mind. I see your location is in Maryland and that it's a long way from South Dakota. After reading the posts about tire problems and changing tires makes me think a person wouldn't want to pull it back to Maryland. I will attempt to post some photos.
I think my new tire is rated for 225mph and I'm closer!! Let's see some pics, Rebenergy! Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
photos of Hancock scraper
I hope I am not using up too much bandwidth, but I have a few more photos.
don't be concerned about the can of fix flat lying in the hopper by the flights, it had nothing to do with the scrapers tires
I will go take close-ups of all the tires later this eveningand get them posted tomorrow. They are in fairly good shape for their age.
Can you contact me at [email protected] ? Thank you Ray
The Cat still under the weather, so we decided to get the scraper out and give it a shot in digging out the walkout. It was doing a pretty slick job for an old fart. It gave the old Oliver a workout for sure. I was doing pretty good until I ripped the tube in the new tire
Good pics! I Like the Oliver. When I was a kid a million years ago I ran one (2wd) raking hay. It was a big step up from the old hard to turn John Deere B I started on.
Looking good kb9tci :thumbsup
Tire guy showed up today and popped the flat tire off the scraper. They left without putting Humpty Dumpty back together again, so I'm guessing they had to get a new tube or flap ordered.
I was in the USA, Alamosa colorada recently visiting a friend and saw a hancock scraper its a model 282 I will post some photos of it soon Cheers Leroy
I need to post some more pictures of this old gal in action. I've been using it quite a bit this fall around the new house and on our sod airstrip. Cutting in some gradual tapered ditches to help with draining.
Pictures as promised from the Hancock 282 scraper with 471 GM cheers Leroy
More pictures as promised from the Hancock 282 scraper with 471 GM cheers Leroy
I am going to enclose the only pic I have of an old Hancock elevator scraper with a Michigan prime mover sporting a V671 with two stacks right beside the operators station.Talk about sound!! I drove it back from the job site over the road and parked it where it is now,the weeds came later.Ron G
Where is this? The bantam looks familiar
In Newington,the Bantam is a C366,it also has a V6-71 in it.I did a housing development off Quaker la. in West Hartford back in the late 80's/early 90's for T&M bldrs.I could reach all the way across the cellar hole with it if I wanted to.lol.Ron G
I am not sure what he has left now,they say after I quit him he folded and of course we wish we could brag about that...lol.The company name was WH Williams and it was second generation when I worked for them.Their shop was on a dead end street across from the Olympia diner which is on RT 15 south of Hartford.If you can tell me how well you know the area I will give you better directions.I don't go to those social sites as I don't care to spread my info all over the world for everyone to see.I still use ICQ because it tells me when I have email.Thanks for taking an interest,I am in a wheelchair with cancer and I was in a rehab when this post was new so could not reply to it.I just fixed my private message folder and sent you a message there too.Ron G
Hey Ron, I know Bill Jr.! Him and his dad did a lot of work with the Mareks down here in Southington back in the day and that's how my grandpa knew them. I actually met him as a fellow member of the QVEA/Zagray Farm Museum in Colchester. He's still around, company folded up several years ago and Bill Sr. passed a while back. He still has a few excavators, several dozers, and a few loaders and maybe the scraper. He keeps two of his D6s, his 1954 pulling a LeTourneau and a very nice 1963 B-series down at the Zagray Farm in Colchester. I've had the pleasure of running the 6B numerous times and it's a good ol' gal.
Thanks for the reply Stretch,it is nice to hear from Southington.I used to see Bill sr. on the jobsites occasionally although I cannot remember ever seeing him on any equipment.Say Hello to Billy for me when you see him if you think of it.When I first went to work for Ritchie he was doing a job up in Somers so I met him up there on the job site and Bill SR. was there and of course Ritchie introduced me to him.He started me out on the D6D and when Bill SR. saw me back up and pick up a rock instead of driving over it I think that I was hired so probably the old man hired me.I had to drive up there for about a week to finish the job. I only saw one other D6 in the 5 or 6 years that I worked for them,an old one with the gas start motor on it with a brush rake on the front.It is rare to find anyone who can start them anymore. No one has actually told me that they folded but I have stopped by the compound when in the area where they keep their equipment and everything was there so I just assumed that from what I had seen. The old scraper used to be pulled by their D7 but that was probably sold off when they folded. Their D6D was a nice machine to run,a hotrod,just fun to run,it did everything well.I thought all the D6Ds were a little nose heavy but just the nature of the beast. I never got to run the D7/scraper combo but have run the 7 by itself numerous times.I trained on those old cable scrapers with D8s at Ft.Leonardwood in the army. Thanks for the heads up and keep in touch.Ron G
Hi ron, I never got the pm, i think there is something wrong with my inbox as it has happened in the past. After talking with stretch, we realized the owner is Bill Williams! Is the machine still at the old shop? Thanks, John
I have been having problems too,it says my inbox is full or the recipients inbox is full,that is why I posted in the thread as well so that eventually you would get it. I have not been at his shop since I got sick so am not sure what is left there but he keeps his equipment at his property at the end of the street,he has a compound/fenced in area on the right adjacent to the turnaround where some of his stuff is inside the fence and some is outside.I am almost certain that he was renting the shop where we gathered sometimes "payday?" to start the day but I usually went straight to the jobsite.I would imagine that he would let the shop go right away if they folded.The picture that I posted was taken at the compound while sitting in my truck in the turnaround at the end of the street.I have quite a few pics of his stuff on different jobs that I did. It was nice to hear from Stretch,we have chatted in the past,we all have contributions to make,thanks to this great BB for a place to do it.Keep in touch John.Ron G
I'm not on here too much these days, but Mr. Gibson made me think about checking in again. Good to see I'm welcomed back! I'll send Bill your regards next time I see him. The pony-start D6 with the rake is the one pulling the scraper at the farm. I think he picked up the scraper for it just a couple years ago, way too small and old to be productive on a D7. The cable control D6B he also keeps there came from the Hewitts down New London way and sat for several years before being resurrected. Stumbled upon his shop yesterday, pretty overgrown with a KW tractor and Link-Belt excavator and other misc. stuff sitting in the fence. I know you're wheelchair-bound but if you get some offroad tires put on it come on down to one of our shows. I'll check in once in a while!
Nice to hear from you again.That KW came after I left,he had an DM800 pulling the lowbed before that and that is all they ever used it for.I am surprised that he ever traded up for anything else. I am pretty frustrated with this wheelchair thing,I have a lot to do before I kick off.I feel great but my body can't keep up with me. I could still run equipment once I got in the seat but I don't imagine anyone would hire me at my age.Again,keep in touch Stretch.I still have not got my truck registered and according to the doctor I can't drive as I have spells occasionally that I lose touch with the rest of the world.I hope they can get that fixed.I do have my drivers license but did not have time to get my DOT medical card so I had to take the regular license instead of a class one but they say I have 2 years to do that with no penalty and upgrade to the class one again. I would love to make a show someday in Colchester,we will see how it goes. Ron G
Thanks Ron, would be awesome to see you sometime at the show. I joined a few weeks ago and has been quite the learning experience. I'll pm you my email, holler if you're coming down.
Interesting post. I fail to remember who but I traded a few PMs with a fellow that was working on restoring the Letourneau LS at the Zagray Farm a couple years ago. I sent some dimensions of distances between sheaves and some photos of sheets out of an original manual so they could get the cables strung and the bowl adjusted properly. I'm pleased to hear they have it working at their event. It is one of the shows on our bucket list.
Having the proper documentation is priceless when repairing things if they are to work as designed.Many times we "jury rig" things to make them work but it is so nice and usually time saving as well to have the right service literature at hand while doing the repair.I do electronic servicing in my spare time and the internet has been a blessing to me.It is a good thing that I have this to fall back on as it is something that I can do these days.Ron G
I am going to try the private message thing again and see if it works for us John.I will send my email address and see what happens.Ron G
Someone in a Facebook group has a pic of Bill in the 800 at the truck show in Brooklyn. Sure looked like a beast. Made his day when I gave the pic to him at our spring show! He says it went to a friend of his in East Hampton who turned it into a ten wheeler. Take your time coming down Ron, we'll be there for many years to come. That may have been another one of our young members who is Bill's protege, as Bill isn't computer literate quite yet. The scraper runs every show, come on out and visit sometime!
Too bad you couldn't snap a couple of pics of Bill junior doing his thing someday.You know who would like to see them ) I have a couple of dozen or more pics of his equipment on their jobsites that he might like to see too,I could email them any time or could copy them to a CD for you if we meet up sometime.I go to the hospital there for a dr appt,was there Wed.morning if I knew where you lived.I sent you my email address if your mailbox works.Ron G
No new messages...oh well. My email is [email protected] . I could print them out and give them to him at our upcoming show, first weekend of October.
I don't know how we can fix this message thing,I will send you mine in disguise here.rdgordon followed by the numeral one @cox.net. Talk soon,Ron G
I emailed a few pics to you Stretch.Ron G
Got the email, Ron. I'll give you a call later this week, maybe I'll drop by with a coffee and we can chat for a few. Actually ran into Bill today coincidentally.
It would be nice to chat with you.I would like to see Bill again too.I will be busy on Friday at the doctors,will try to remember to take my cellphone.860 461-8051.Talk soon.Ron G
Change in my schedule Stretch,it looks like Thursday my oncologist will have me most of the day and Friday I just have a visit from the visiting nurse and she usually stops mid morning for 20 minutes or so.Talk soon.Ron G