How are these to use and maintenance wise? We could use a scraper every now and then but not enough to sink much money in one. More wanting than justifying one. I see them with pto and hydraulic chain drives.
I don't know how you would have one PTO driven without some serious engineering to stop the drive shaft hitting the gooseneck. They were all hydraulic or electric driven elevators including the Michigan which had the drive motor mounted down low with a drive shaft up to the sprockets. Having a hydraulic pump driven off the PTO could work through.
I thought I had seen pictures of them with PTO's but could be mistaken. A guy local has a couple of them I just need to take some beer and BS him about them.
https://www.bigiron.com/Lots/HancockPull-TypeElevatingScraper-2 This one is PTO to a gear box up to another gear box and back. Looks like some used a gearbox and hydraulic pump off it also. It sold for $3,800 but the main gearbox was out!
I’m not sure why you would want one of them unless you are a collector. An open-bowl conventional of the appropriate size matched to the tractor would be a better choice with a lot less maintenance. All those moving parts would give me nightmares. I ran a JD paddle scraper once and it was ok for finishing work but I wasn’t the guy fixing it
That looks very similar to a Michigan set-up that's been re engineered
Looks more Wabco 111A or International E200 era. Electric motor removed & old style John Deere drive shaft/gearbox Michigans had a Hough loader diff & planetaries on the lower section of the frame
All the Inters I've worked had Johnson bowls, same as Cat
Fortunately for me, I've only seen them from the distance. Terrex Wabco Michigan/Clark used the Hancock bowl which were yards ahead of johnson bowls
Dislike the American term "paddle wheel", they're "Elevators" please