Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Handmade Wooden Machines

Born2clearcut · 2011-11-08 09:05

Log Loader This log loader i made is pretty much just from memory so its kinda just a mix of machine type. Main house is made out of oak , the counter weight ,cab , boom ,stick are Spalted Walnut , Heel and tracks are walnut with a maple burl undercarriage. All rams go in / out /up and down the grapple opens /closes /rotates and swings free .Tracks rotate around and the house swings 360 degrees

Replies25
  1. #1Born2clearcut2011-11-08 09:13

    Heres a couple more pics of log loader . I made the tug boat in one of the pictures then i made a barge for it to tow. then i figured i need something on the barge so i made a little grapple yarder for it but was to small. I then built the log loader alittle bigger for the barge. Thats how I started to make my own machines.

  2. #2Born2clearcut2011-11-08 09:35

    Excavator This excavator is made from Splated Maple and Walnut . The house is made from Spalted Maple , The darker wood used is Walnut ,The bucket is Splated Walnut with a Yew wood thumb , The ram cylinders and pins are made out of Oak stained black . All functions can be moved manually in/out/up and down the house swings 360 degrees tracks rotate around .

  3. #3JeremiahSr2011-11-08 14:46

    Wow. How much time do u think u have in these projects? Looks extremely detailed! Good looking work!

  4. #4Dozerboy2011-11-08 21:48

    Wow great work

  5. #5Born2clearcut2011-11-11 11:26

    Thanks for the compliments . As for how much time iI have into them i'm not really sure I don't keep track . I just do them for fun i really enjoy making them. My friends keep buying them ,so i keep making them until i have some for myself

  6. #6Born2clearcut2011-12-12 10:43

    Anyone interested in buying one of my wooden machines PM me for more info .Also a heavy equipment forums member discount

  7. #7Sawmiller2011-12-30 12:52

    Born2clearcut, Those are awsome very nice work. I can tell you put a ton of time in them. Good luck on there sell. Sawmiller

  8. #8Born2clearcut2012-01-07 11:28

    Thanks Sawmiller . I did sell them both and i would like to thank Heavy Equipment Forums for letting me post them and all for having a look:cool2

  9. #9Fastdirt2012-01-07 20:00

    Very impressive! Love the cab view, even has the compartment behind the seat. Kind of funny a log loader made out of logs.

  10. #10Born2clearcut2017-11-08 09:53

    Here's a excavator made out of yellow cedar ,yew wood with walnut tracks

  11. #11mikebramel2017-11-09 21:50

    Fantastic work

  12. #12thepumpguysc2017-11-10 04:43

    Very impressive work.. that's one heck of a skill you have..

  13. #13Wytruckwrench2017-11-10 09:34

    You are amazing! I can’t imagine the time you have into those.

  14. #14kshansen2017-11-10 10:56

    Simply amazing work! I thought I did good this week building a three foot by six foot landing for the rear door of the house. I don't think I would live long enough to build something like that excavator and much of my attempts would end up as kindling in the wood stove!

  15. #15Born2clearcut2017-11-11 08:52

    Thanks all. Couple more pics of yellow cedar excavator at work lol.I have another log loader I'll post some pictures when I get them organized

  16. #16Born2clearcut2017-11-11 08:53
  17. #17mitch5042017-11-11 09:47

    WOW!

  18. #18Born2clearcut2017-12-15 09:22

    This one has a few updates on it . It has a wishbone track link update with inter locking track pads , also has spring loaded idlers to keep a little bit of tension on tracks for a smooth rolling tracks. Made the cab to tilt for lowbedding on hiway lol. Made out of curly maple with a walnut carrier Yew wood grapple and a few highlights

  19. #19Born2clearcut2017-12-15 09:25

    Couple more

  20. #20Born2clearcut2017-12-15 09:27
  21. #21Born2clearcut2017-12-15 09:39

    Sry I'm not the best photographer

  22. #22John C.2017-12-15 12:01

    It's amazing the amount of detail you have put into the piece. That is real art work!

  23. #23Graham12017-12-15 15:38

    That is amazing work. What sort of hours would you put in to build say the excavator? Graham

  24. #24Born2clearcut2017-12-15 22:17

    Thank-you all I never kept track of hours I started to one time then I would forget ,so I just didn't bother.Plus it was just a hobby. I think it was mainly about the challenge to see if I could.

  25. #25Born2clearcut2017-12-16 10:29

    Making track links and undercarriage