Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Harmonic balancer ??

rwatkins ยท 2012-03-26 20:31

I have to put a new front crank seal in our deere 160 lc. It has the 4.5 liter in it. Is the balancer pressed on or does it just come loose with the bolts? The service manual does have anything regaurding the balancer. Also can the seal be replace with out taking the geartrain cover off or no?

Replies19
  1. #1tctractors2012-03-27 02:14

    If you are talking about the round bit bolted to the front of the crank its a Damper, they usualy come off with just the bolts that hold it to the front of the crank, be careful not to damage it or dent it as bits inside move, balancer set ups are a total different thing usualy running at twice crank speed.

  2. #2roadrunner812012-03-27 08:39

    If the balancer is bolted to a flange the flange itself will be pressed on, so plan on having a puller either way.

  3. #3tctractors2012-03-27 13:56

    It might be worth a study of Dampers and Balancers, as this might enlighten some folk, but I would not put a puller up against a Damper as they are to easily damaged, any dent or distortion is to be avoided

  4. #4rwatkins2012-03-27 15:39

    I dont think there was a flange on there, but ill look and see tomorro mourning.

  5. #5overworked2012-03-28 15:22

    hello, balancer will come off after u remove bolts, not pressed on. u will need a installer tool to put new seal/sleeve assembly in. be careful i have seen cracked front covers from people trying to pry out seal, how many hours on machine, how are the bearings ?

  6. #6tctractors2012-03-28 15:37

    rwatkins, any chance of a picture or parts listing of your "thing" that is bolted to the snout of your crankshaft, as this might be interesting to view plus a good topic of information.

  7. #7roadrunner812012-03-28 21:14

    Hmmm, was that directed at me? Sorry for not using the proper term for the part in question. I'm not aware of any front seals mounted behind balancers so lets keep it simple.

  8. #8roadrunner812012-03-28 21:22

    Ok, took about 5 seconds after post to think of several examples of seals mounted behind balancers. I guess I assumed we were talking about a harmonic damper.

  9. #9overworked2012-03-28 22:44

    lets say front crankshaft oil seal, can we all agree on that,

  10. #10rwatkins2012-03-29 00:31

    Overworked, there is ruffly 7300 on the hoe but the engine only has mabey 2k. It was replaced right before we purchased it. I havent looked at the parts package yet but ive done a few of these on other engines and i know theres usually an install tool for them, so ill look in the am. Tctractors ill take some photos tomorro when i tear into it.

  11. #11tctractors2012-03-29 02:20

    roadrunner81, no my comment is not aimed in any way at you, but I have found that dampers and ballancer set ups are very much a grey area of interest and knowledge amongst people that work with engines on a regular scale, I have had some fair run ins with this part of the engine setup so I sort of did my home work, just the other week I was called out to a generator engine of about 400 HP that would tear a damper to bits after about 2 hours of running under fair load, I also was called out to an excavator (CAT 215) that had a shake come through the hand control at a set speed, the 3304 motor is fitted with Lanchester style balance shafts, the same as fitted to the 4 pot Komatsu motors found in D50/55 shovels etc, Dampers and balancers are not the same thing, there must be other comments due on this subject as it is well worth a bit of script.

  12. #12overworked2012-03-29 20:54

    tctractors i agree, there is a big differance between the two, when rwatkins said oil seal i figured it was front crank seal, i am rebuilding a 4045 for a 160c deere this week, pretty basic these engines have two balance shafts in lower block , rwatkins check the dipstick they are known to crack where they are pressed into block and will make nice mess

  13. #13tctractors2012-03-30 15:59

    overworked, Johny Deere Construction kit is scarce in the U.K. non existant is near the mark, so other than Farm Billy chariots (tractors) it aint about, so I dont have any current experience with the bangers, thats why I was hoping a pic or 2 might be handy, the 2 balance shafts in the block would be running at 2 X crank speed ? I am thinking, anything hanging off the snout of the crank is a Damper? unless they do something fancy??

  14. #14Scrub Puller2012-03-30 17:41

    Yair . . . tctractors. I think it's a regional thing. I'm in Australia and all my working life I have known those round things hanging of the front of crankshafts as "harmonic ballancers" and the other doovers rotating at two times crank speed are "ballance shafts". Cheers.

  15. #15Nige2012-03-30 18:10

    I've always known the disc-type doobrey hanging off the front of the crank as a damper, because that's what it does - damp the vibrations produced in the crank by the rotating/reciprocating parts of the engine. Usually it bolts on to a flange of some sort. When the damper is out of the way then you can install a puller on the flange and get it off to allow access to the crankshaft seal located behind the flange. In contrast an internal balancer shaft(s) inside an engine does exactly what it says on the tin - in itself it causes vibrations that negate or balance the primary vibration caused by the rotation of the crank and its attached reciprocating components.

  16. #16rwatkins2012-03-31 08:22

    Id Havent got the pics yet but it does have internal balancer shafts in it. On the snout of the crank is a steel pulley, a steel spacer about 1 inch thick, then another pulley. There is no external damper on it. Ive changed the crank seal, the gear case seal, water pump seal, oil pan seal, something on the oil filter housing(part of an oil to coolant heat exchanger), and a small rectangle plate above the oil filter. Overworked Ill chech the dip stick monday and make shure its ok. Can you explain what the plug with the spring and big needle tip, is the goes threw the front cover into the block? It looks like a needle from a carb but 100 tims bigger.

  17. #17overworked2012-04-01 23:16

    rwatkins behind the plug is the oil pressure regulator (needle and spring ). that is in early models, J-D then changed to a one piece regulator and they removed plug from cover.

  18. #18rwatkins2012-04-02 23:38

    I got it all buttoned up today and let it run for 20-25 minutes and all is well now. All i can say is that was a cluster #### doin all that work without yanking the engine out. It makes sense now why the service manual shows you how to pull the engine out, instead of showing how to work on it inframe.

  19. #19overworked2012-04-03 09:59

    Makes u wonder how high engineers drop first one from to make it fit?