Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track chains for a SK 120 Kobelco LC

digger104 ยท 2012-03-27 20:02

Hi: Need some suggestions. I'm not sure that I need new chains, what is happening the tracks snake and will come off the bottom rollers on uneven ground. I notice on some machines there is a rock guard in the center, mine does not, and there in no holes to install one, If I make one and weld it on I would have to use the torch and cut it off to remove the roller. The book says Reference for remedy 6.89 what ever that means and the it says Serviceability limit 7.05 from center of pin to center of pin. I measured mine and they are 6.3/4 to 6.13/16 so this is almost like new and the chains look like new and there is next to no wear on the OD of the bushing. I checked between the links and the book says .05 I wedged the link all to one side and as good as I can measure it is 3/16". I think this could be some of my problem but what to do about it. To take them off and have them repressed or have shims added if possible would probabley cost me as much as new chains. I could run it and hope for the best but I do not like doing thing like this and be in fear of a track coming off, you know they never do that at a good time or place. What do you think my problem is and what would you do. thank

Replies10
  1. #1QuickTrax2012-03-27 20:12

    It looks like you are measuring you internal wear. Make sure you stretch your tracks tight when you measure pin to pin.

  2. #2digger1042012-03-27 20:20

    Thanks for your reply, I did not do any think to stretch the chain to make it tight but I did measure several different places and both sides and the measurement was very close to being the same. with that said, tomorrow I will put tench-en on the chain and remeasure. Thanks.

  3. #3Huntoon2012-03-28 02:29

    You don't need anything fancy for a mid-track guide. you could just weld in some 20mm thick slabs with a gusset.

  4. #4digger1042012-03-28 21:49

    Guides Hi: you suggested mid frame track guides. If I would put them between the rollers I'm afraid they will bottom out against the pads when running over something or uneven ground. Do you think this would cause a problem. If I put them where I think they should go, which is around the roller I would have to try and drill and tap to make them removable or if I weld them on have to torch them off. I did recheck the measurement today, According to the book and my tape they look like they have next to no wear. I have been looking at lot of excavators and most have rock guards at least one on each side, and I call these rock guards but they are not or they would be along the hole side. So they must be there to keep the track from snaking. You thoughts. thanks.

  5. #5Huntoon2012-03-28 23:10

    Your track shoes/pads are usually hardened steel. They should cut right through any mild steel you weld on there.

  6. #6QuickTrax2012-03-29 07:55

    Digger104, When pads hit the track guides they will gouge the pad extremely bad, I have seen this many times. It is true, the pad is hardened but that will not prevent the pad from getting gouged from continuously rubbing against the guides. Keep this in mind. A center track guide will help keep your track stay on but if your machine doesn't call for a guide in the book, it probably doesn't need one. I would look for a different reason that your track is coming off. How worn are your bottom rollers and how do the roller flanges look? Just a suggestion. Thanks, Quicktrax

  7. #7dirthog2012-03-29 08:18

    Tighten the tracks and look at the front idlers see how much of the idler brackets or shaft you can see past the end of the track frame. When the idler shaft out side the track frame you know your tracks are getting bad.

  8. #8Huntoon2012-03-29 12:00

    QuikTrax may be right about the mid track guide being somewhat risky to your pads. Here's a thought: maybe your machine has had its chain replaced before. So you have a newish chain on there but maybe your sprocket is totally worn out? That said, I think track snaking is caused by internal pin and bushing wear.

  9. #9digger1042012-03-29 22:05

    snaking If there is internal wear, what about the measurements which are well with in range, I checked and I have 1.5" till the front idler is to the end of the track frame. This one is driving me well you know what I mean. I checked the sprockets very little wear, you can just fell a slight wear and I mean slight.

  10. #10QuickTrax2012-03-30 09:15

    You mentiined in your original post that your tracks "snaked". The is only going to be cause from internal wear.