Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Harris Blade/Raygo Giant

Dug Overburden · 2009-02-12 01:00

Anyone seen or operated one of these, made out of old Euclid TS24's

Replies32
  1. #1ovrszd2009-02-12 09:39

    Never saw anything like that!! I'll bet it's a hoot to operate!!!

  2. #2Eric2009-02-12 09:51

    Didn't someone on this forum have a design for someting like this????

  3. #3pactractor2009-02-17 00:41

    a guy in so cal had one made from a 651 I don't have any pics of it but Signs and Pinnick used to rent it from them. And that one didn't have a moldboard it had dual sheepsfoot rollers for the rear wheels

  4. #4Dug Overburden2009-02-17 02:22

    Signs & Pinnick Raygo Giant In the late 1980's Signs & Pinnick actually bought an old Raygo giant at an auction in Lousiana & brought it to San Diego. Used it on one or two jobs & it did not work out. They put it up for sale & someone ended up buying it for the tires & they sold the rest for scrap to Grape Sales. I'll bet Grape still had the two 8V71's & Allison Tansmissions sitting in his yard in Lakeside Ca. Grape is a "scrap steel" packrat! Dug.

  5. #5Dug Overburden2009-02-17 02:25

    651 compactor Pactractor, are you refering to "Franken-Stomper" the hybred 651/5x5 compactor? I wrote about in another thread. Dug

  6. #6Super Roel2009-02-18 06:20

    Ray-Go I found in my picture archive two pic,s of this graders that i will share with you .

  7. #7Dug Overburden2009-02-19 00:14

    A lot of difference Hi Super Roel, thanks for sharing the photos By looking at the two photos, the original version is shorter & has a different way of mounting the moldboard. I believe the blade was fixed and the machine moving up and down adjusted the cut. Anyone know how many Raygo built & when they were produced? Dug

  8. #8stretch2009-02-19 11:51

    The Harris Blade was built sometime in the late 60's, and the Giant was manufactured during the 70's. More info and pics starting from post #6

  9. #9J.BobbyM2009-02-20 18:05

    The first Steiger AWD farm tractor was fabricated from a Euc TS-14

  10. #10machlove2012-04-13 22:23

    Yes, Dug, my cousin Leslie operated the original Harris Blade for Gustfson Construction Company in the late 60's and early 70's in South Dakota, Gustafson Construction went out of business around 1978 or therabouts. I remember seeing it, but never with a full blade, mostly they used it for rough "trimming" on interstate highway construction.

  11. #11RDG2012-04-14 02:59

    Over on the EMF forum and youtube there is some vids of the S18G which is similar but thats about all. Cheers RDG

  12. #12loron512013-06-13 16:01

    I ran one at GCOS site in Fort McMurray Alberta in about 1971. 871 in front and back,it had all the rotten TS24 habits like weak steering etc.; You couldn't angle the blade enough to roll your dirt and it would duck walk at the drop of a hat, Steering wheel out of a ship, leaky controls with full hydraulic flow to keep the cab good and toasty. Worst machine I ever ran! It was sold< went to Pakistan and then baqck to Canada to a Sask owner and now rests at Devon in a heavy equipment society display.

  13. #13Jimbo2014-10-22 12:20

    I couldn't resist the urge to bring this back up; there is one of the Giants for sale on Craigslist not far from me. While I would love to have it for a toy/yard ornament, even that is not practical for me. http://amarillo.craigslist.org/hvo/4724520792.html

  14. #14Ductmaster2014-11-05 23:40

    Look what I found. Was suppose to be moving dirt, but it was promised to a museum by someo0ne but got sold to this guy and now he is trying to keep it. Some misunderstanding over the sale. Everything is on site cab and blade just not assembeled after transporting. Could not believe I got to see one up close, very cool. Hope everything gets settled would love to see this work.

  15. #15Ductmaster2014-11-05 23:45

    Also pictured is a kumagotzoo scraper also a cool find

  16. #16Ductmaster2014-11-05 23:47
  17. #17Ductmaster2014-11-05 23:50
  18. #18Ductmaster2014-11-05 23:55

    Make one hell of a side walk cleaner. The snow is just about here, a guy can allways wish

  19. #19jxm72022014-11-09 19:55

    That blade sat at the Brookings Co landfill for many years. Halsteds also had two komatsu scrapers, I believe they were sold as a pair to a hutterite colony in central SD.

  20. #20Welder Dave2014-11-23 23:41

    I just saw this thread. Sometime in the late 80's or 90's, there was a Raygo Giant sold at Ritchie Bros. in Nisku. I wonder if this is the one in Devon?

  21. #21simonsrplant2023-05-21 01:40

    Not intentionally resurrecting a years old post but here is that machine. A couple batteries, inflate some tires, drain water and prime filters, and it was pushing dirt. Real cool to keep unique and rare equipment alive like this. To those who invited me to help I thank you. Volunteering helping out for the Alberta Construction Heritage Society this weekend.

  22. #22JaredV2023-05-21 11:33

    That's cool! No need to apologize. With stuff like this that has little info out there, it helps guys like me to keep it in one place. Did anyone get any video?

  23. #23Welder Dave2023-05-21 23:12

    I think it might be the same one I saw at RB's. There can't be many of them in Alberta. I just can't remember if it had the splotchy red paint. I looked at it from the left hand side. It was parked in a separate area at RB's, maybe for storage till it could be moved. Very interesting machine. Had to be pretty loud with twin 8V-71's. Too bad I didn't have a cell. phone with a camera back when I used to go to a lot of auctions. Saw a lot of interesting and sometimes rare machines.

  24. #24Burnout2023-05-23 22:19

    Simon? I thought you hated the internet?

  25. #25simonsrplant2023-05-23 22:51

    I do. It's full of even weirder people who don't actually exist. I also don't know how it works or how it's is shut down.

  26. #26Burnout2023-05-23 23:54

    Definitely full of weird people. I might as well add a photo of the big green machine.

  27. #27Welder Dave2023-05-24 00:21

    Can anybody go to the site in Devon to check out all the older machines? It's not far from Edmonton. There used to be 2 Letourneau L700 Lectro-loaders sitting in a field in Acheson. One of them was gone the last time I was out there but that was quite a few years ago so I'd expect the other one is gone too. They were the first hyd. Letourneau's after the ridiculously long rack and pinion models. I'd say they were pretty rare too. I climbed up on 1. It was a long way up and a little intimidating with no cab on the machine. Can only imagine how big an L2350 is.

  28. #28Burnout2023-05-24 19:32

    We’re slowly making our way through the machines in Devon. The gentlemen running HCHS have recruited some of us younger people and we’re gonna breathe some new life into that old iron. Our friend Simon who posted above included. Not sure if you’ve got Instagram but we have a page there and will work on a website here soon. If that’s not really your thing you can shoot me a message and I can keep you in the loop via email. Alex

  29. #29Welder Dave2023-05-24 21:33

    That would be great. Are you looking for more volunteers? I might be able to offer some welding assistance if you need it. It would very rewarding helping keep some old iron running.

  30. #30Burnout2023-05-25 09:00

    We are definitely looking for volunteers. We have no money but we have cold beer to drink.

  31. #31Welder Dave2023-06-01 02:14

    East of Beaumont there is a guy that sub-divided and now sells tires. He has a big scraper sitting in his yard that he used when subdivided his farm. It's big but not the most common brand. He said the Cummins engine developed a knock. It might be an interesting machine to have on display. I'll try and figure what brand it is.

  32. #32Ironman34062023-06-06 10:20

    For those asking for some video here is a couple links to some YouTube videos we managed to make. Enjoy