Would like to see some old photos from the Harrison Lake/Harrison Mills area. Canadian Forest Products, Pretty Logging, etc…
These are pics of an old Autocar my Dad George Taylor drove in the early ‘50’s. All of the photos have “Spring Creek” written on the back. Spring Creek is located at the northern tip of Harrison Lake. From what I’ve been able to find on the internet Canadian Forest Products set up a camp at Spring Creek in 1944.
More Spring Creek.
I had a uncle that worked at Spring Creek & MacNab Creek, He was a Grade shovel operator, Frank Dvorak, He lived in Misson,
What is the reason for one side of the trailer tandems being raised up in that first set of photos? ACars were very rare in the woods where I grew up in western Washington. Pretty much all KW, Pete and Mack, with an occasional Western Star. KW was the most widely used brand name.
What years would your uncle have worked up there bccat? All I have is this set of pics and my Dad has been gone a long time but I'd like to know more about the operation.
late50,s to Early 70,s
To tell you the truth Vigilant I can't really figure why it's twisted myself. I notice that there is already one log loaded against the far side. Perhaps a cable is caught in the stake on this side and we're seeing physics at work. I've searched all the B.C. threads for Autocar and no info has come up so I think they were rare in the woods up here too. I grew up in Caycuse camp on Vancouver Island and they had all Hayes when I was there. Nitnat camp 7 miles down the road had Pacifics. This was in the '60's and both were built in Vancouver for our rough terrain. From browsing through the posts here I see that quite a few other outfits used Kenworths.
Don't think that was an intensional Move to get the tandems up like that …….. the Old Spar's did not have the ability to swing the logs perfectly on to the trailers …. those big "Coconuts" pretty much did what they wanted, I think if you look really close you'll see that it was more of a manoeuvre to get the logs between the bunks and that the extreme weight tipped the trailer up in the air …… LOL …….
Oh ya, that was a bit later than when my Dad was there. Any Pics?
Well said Craft, thank-you.
…… Thank-you ! …… my explanation was from PURE EXPERIENCE …. LOL …. had my trailers up in the air a few times over the years up North, being loaded by one of the 'ol American Heal booms …..
We are probably about the same age then. I'm a '56 model.
…….. -1 ….. or +1 ….. @ '57 …..
Like my username suggests...I'm a '57 model Taylor. Haha.
And I'm a 57-year old adolescent.
A photo of my father George Taylor and me taken at Mt. Woodside in 1961. Dad was probably driving for Pretty on Harrison Lake at the time. HDX was kind enough to ID the truck for me... a Kenworth with a Pacific grill.
That is one beautiful, ancient KW. Looks like a wooden reach. Do you know if it was a chain drive model? I would LOVE to see some more photos of that truck if you have them.
Well I did have one more photo of my aunt and me. I guess this one has a little better view of the engine. Vigilant, I have no idea if it was chain drive or not.
My grandfather worked at spring creek he was a mechanic and a welder John langeman
Thanks, Taylor.
The excellent and huge Hank's Truck Pictures site had a Jim Falconer section that includes many pics from the Silver River or 'Big Silver' drainage on Harrison Lake, east side Greg. Linked with respect to the site and to the the contributors http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/jim_falconer_larson.htm
Thanks for the link Mike, there's a lot of great old pics and info on that site all right!