Hey, first time poster. Just a little info on me; I'm a jack of all trades and master of none. Automotive repair is more my forte, but I have worked on heavy equipment and hydraulics along with many other types of equipment. I'm comfortable working on most anything. However, 2 areas I have never got deeply involved with are setting up manual transmissions or differentials/gear meshing. Hence, the reason for my post. So I'm working on a Mitsubishi BD2GII(not sure the year but I might be able to find out if you need it). I'll give you a run down of what I've encountered and done so far and I'll post my questions at the end. I borrowed this from my dads friend and it appears to have had many different hands working on it. Initially, it would only steer right. And I was told both clutch packs were recently replaced. Levers, pedals, linkage and brake bands were way out of adjustment. On top of this the left clutch housing had 6+ inches of water/oil(mostly water) and the right side had 4ish inches of oil. The drain plug holes for the clutch housings were plugged with junk so I opted to drill and tap the holes for a 1 inch pipe plug to avoid this down the road. I also adjusted the levers, pedals, stops, linkage and brake bands. After all that it was usable although it would still only steer right due to the left clutch pack being seized up from all the water. I decided to use it this way to finish my job and repair it afterwards, but unfortunately the left frictions eventually sheered all the teeth before I finished. A little more info that may be relevant to someone- I was losing hydraulic fluid and the bevel gear oil was quite low too. I didn't do any diagnostics to figure out what oil was leaking where(which may have been a mistake). Since there were so many issues and so may people that had worked on this I decided to fix everything so I have a dependable machine to use. Currently: -Clutches are removed, disassembled and waiting to have the parts cleaned. New frictions, steels and springs are on the bench. -Discarding old brake bands and I have new brake bands on the bench along with new springs for the bands(old springs were stretched and distorted) -Clutch release cylinders are removed, disassembled and cleaned. The left side(with water) had practically no bearing left and the piston was scored pretty bad. I assume this was from excessive rust build up as the piston was removed from the bore since the bore is fine. A new piston along with seal kits are currently shipping and I should have them next week. I have 2 new bearings on the bench. One of the dogs on the steering clutch shifter had been broke off and welded poorly so I order a new one that is waiting on the bench. Now, finally, for the reason for my post. I drained the oil from the bevel gear and filled it with diesel fuel to check for leaks. As I suspected, the diesel from the bevel gear is leaking pretty good to the left side that was rusted up. I want to replace the seals on both sides, but the manual and pictures are pretty poor in my opinion for walking someone with my experience through the process of replacing. It appears to have one lip seal and one or two o-rings per side. I'm confident I could take it apart and put it back together, but not with the right preload and possibly screwing up the gear mesh. Before I start taking this apart I'd like to know how it comes apart. Will the bearings and seals come out the bevel gear cavity or clutch cavity? When I put it back together how do I make sure it's right? My initial idea was to mark the the location of the lock in the current position on the nut and count the turns as I remove it and install it in the exact location. I was also thinking about bluing the gears and taking a video of the pattern before removal since I probably won't have a textbook pattern on a used gear set and verify it's the same after reassembly. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. I apologize if this is a duplicate post but I haven't been able to find any information on this here or anywhere else.
Anybody?
I have a BD2G also. Let me know if you need a downloadable shop manual.
I got one thanks. Just trying to figure what to do with these seals
Firebug, Did you end up replacing those seals? I need to do the same procedure on my d21 Komatsu.
I would get a dial indicator and measure the back lash on the bevel gear and set it up to what it was
I've a BD2H and was doing clutch packs and my lh seal behind the clutch slave cylinder just randomly leaked. Mind you everything in there was v rusty, so just polished up the seals track and renewed. No need to dig into the bevel drive gears. It's a 55X78X12 seal with a metal body. cheers