Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Has anyone rebuilt a JD 450C Transmission/final drives?

Sled Puller ยท 2016-04-25 08:29

I have an early 450C. Farm use only. Over the years, I've replaced many parts, injection pump, clutch, hydraulic pump/valve, tracks, rebuilt blade, etc. Runs great, but it has reached a point, where adjusting the clutch/ transmission is not doing any good. The trans is tired. With a service manual, is that trans something that can be tackled by a guy whos never done one? Is it worth the cost? Or just part out the dozer and buy another one? Thanks for any input.

Replies7
  1. #1jaluhn2016-04-25 16:42

    No personal experience myself, but what I understand is that it's a big job, but no reason it couldn't be done. You'd need patience, the correct manual and attention to detail, likely also some special tools. May also be possible to pull the trans at your shop and have it rebuilt - still be pricey but at least save the R&R labor. Knowing the history and with the amount of work you've put into it I'd want to do everything I could to keep it - at least you know what's been done. Parting it out would be a shame and getting a new dozer just means you get a whole new bag of problems to deal with.

  2. #2Firemanmike692016-04-25 20:41

    Without knowing your background or shop set up Its hard to say. Get the correct manual and read through it and see if your comfortable doing it yourself the. Call and get prices and availability on the parts.

  3. #3Willie B2016-04-25 21:53

    Talk to Mark Courchaine, [email protected] He is a JD crawler aficionado. I learned more about them in 1/2 hour, than in a lifetime. Mark buys, and either parts out, or refurbishes 50 series JDs. He's generous with knowledge, and has a lot to share. They (transmissions) were troublesome, largely because the case tended to break following the front crossmember breaking. This might make them scarce. Willie

  4. #4Don k2016-04-26 11:40

    I put a rebuilt HLR clutch pack in my 450-C a few years ago. I also put in a new master clutch and throw out bearing at the same time. Also if clutch control rod has any slop in it replace it. Both ends need to be tight. I would not attempt to rebuilt it my self but I may not be as good a mechanic as you. I did install the rebuilt one myself.

  5. #5td25c2016-04-26 20:38

    I swapped out a transmission housing in my buddy's JD 450C . What makes the 450 a challenging job is it's a bulldozer that's built like a farm tractor . Transmission is part of the frame / structure so you pretty much have most of the machine scattered apart in the shop in order to get to the transmission . We were able to do it with parts & service manuals and several barley soda's . What's going on with it , feel like it's slipping or is it a gear problem ?

  6. #6Don k2016-04-27 07:29

    If you are just having trouble adjusting the HLR clutches first I would make sure the clutch control rod is tight on both ends. I could not adjust the speed of shift. Took the rod out and re drilled both ends and installed larger pins. When I re drilled it the ends and rod were not exactly in the right place. Still could not adjust speed of shift. Ended up getting a new one from JD and then I could adjust the speed of shift.

  7. #7check2016-04-28 18:13

    I remember a much older thread on this subject in which it was claimed that 450C transmission parts would amount to an extraordinary sum of greenbacks.