Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Haul road….

Crawler Hawler ยท 2010-03-26 04:03

Here's some pics of the 9L I run. We're building a 4 mile long haul road on a shoestring budget. Working on a drill pad, popping out some rather large dolomite boulders

Replies38
  1. #1Crawler Hawler2010-03-26 04:09

    more...

  2. #2JTL2010-03-26 06:16

    I love building road like that! No inspectors, no traffic, and no people! Plus your in the mountians! We built 7 miles of new road into a new gold mine in N.E. Washington 2 years ago the same way. Pushed around 300,000 yards with a 9N and two 8N's. Had to truck about 100,000. My boss told me when we started, "We will never build another on like this!" I really hope he was wrong!

  3. #3BC BOY2010-03-26 14:27

    Awsome piece of road ! glad you got those amazing pic,s, it sure is some beautiful country. Cheers!!

  4. #4gpap1232010-03-26 15:29

    Fantastic pics!

  5. #5EZ TRBO2010-03-26 18:04

    awesome pics!! JTL said it best, just you your machines and an awesome view. Thanks Trbo

  6. #6DPete2010-03-26 18:16

    Welcome to the board Crawler Hawler and thanks for the pics. Are you in Kern Co. Calif.?

  7. #7CRAFT2010-03-26 18:21

    Awesomw pics ! ..... brings back some memories..... only thing misiing was the MUD ....LOL Dolomite ? ...isn't that the stone that is related to "LEVERITE" ? CHEERS !

  8. #8RDG2010-03-26 18:44

    Cool looking job, brings back memories of some of the work we used to do years ago back in NZ.

  9. #9willie592010-03-26 19:39

    I used to set up and operate a horizontal drill on benches that looked exactly like that. Nice pics.

  10. #10CM19952010-03-26 21:03

    Shoestring budget + man + machine + open country = one hell of a time! That's an interesting job keep us informed of the progress.:drinkup

  11. #11alco2010-03-26 22:42

    That wouldn't have been the Kettle River Buckhorn mine would it?

  12. #12Crawler Hawler2010-03-26 23:39

    Yes sir... Tehachapi range. It's a high magnesium limestone, some of it is comparable to a soft diatomaceous earth......some of it is harder than hell and full of big boulders

  13. #13CRAFT2010-03-27 00:20

    Nope I guess you're right its not related ....was thinking of the family Stone Boulder ....."LEVER-RITE-THERE" ..... LOL

  14. #14shooterm2010-03-27 00:36

    Awesome pictures! I got lucky at Ft. Leonard Wood and got to tear a new landing zone in a tree grove just off one of the training grounds. I never took pictures but the old gunny told me I'd never see this again and he was right. Perfectly dropped hundred year old oaks with beutiful panorama of 70's D7s all around. These times I'm reminded TAKE FRICKING PICTURES.

  15. #15catman6302010-03-27 01:32

    new here just want to say you lucky sob......great pictures can't get enough of machines....

  16. #16Crawler Hawler2010-03-28 22:44

    More Pics:

  17. #17Crawler Hawler2010-03-28 22:50

    One part of my job that I hate is knocking down the old growth oaks....something wrong about killing a tree that's been around since my great-great granddad..... That being said, the twig in the middle of this pic is actually an oak with a 7' diameter trunk, can't get to it so its getting blasted out.

  18. #18shooterm2010-03-29 09:39

    Right I understand that. Thats why it was amazing site.

  19. #19DPete2010-03-29 10:58

    The way things are here in Ca. I'm supprised you can get in and dig like that without the Sierra Club crying wolf

  20. #20Wolf2010-04-05 17:36

    Especially good to hear no inspectors. Get to do your work the right way, with no interference. Nice to work in the mountains with no traffic too. Did you have to take out a lot of trees to build that mining haul road too, Jason?

  21. #21Wolf2010-04-05 17:49

    That's awesome. How many of those old growth oaks did you get to push over. How big are they usually. How often do you have to blast one out that is so big taht your machine can't take care of it. The sierra club shouldn't find out what you are doing LOL.

  22. #22Crawler Hawler2010-04-05 22:47

    The machine could take care of that oak no problem, it's just not worth the time and effort to build a ramp to get to and knock the tree down. I've knocked over, dug out and cleared quite a few old growth oaks I don't enjoy it. Here's a pic of the D10N we rented, it's going back....

  23. #23JTL2010-04-06 21:48

    Well of corse! You cant build a road through a forest without cutting a couple million board feet of timber!

  24. #24Miningpower2010-04-08 09:20

    Nice pics! A friend of mine used to run a 9L for the longest time. Said it was an excellent dozer.

  25. #25monster truck2010-04-08 21:50

    :iagree I have got to spend a good bit of time on a 9L and it is definately one of my favorite dozers to run. Good power, good visibility, reliable, simple to work on and suprisingly stable when you get into the steep stuff.

  26. #26Crawler Hawler2010-04-14 20:26

    The fun part.... YouTube - dolomite road 115 holes on a 14x16 pattern with a 5" borehole

  27. #27AmerIndependent2010-04-15 01:39

    That is awesome. Looks like a helluva good time. Are you the one causing all these California earthquakes? :roll

  28. #28DPete2010-04-15 07:47

    Nice shot! thanks for sharing

  29. #29Dirtdozer2010-04-19 20:19

    I love the big stuff. Makes work real fun!

  30. #30Crawler Hawler2010-09-19 17:13

    reviving a dead thread with a new toy!

  31. #31Kman90902010-09-19 17:26

    nice

  32. #32Crawler Hawler2010-09-19 17:29

    Big rock removed with the D10R

  33. #33bpogue2010-09-19 22:34

    Now that's a rock!!

  34. #34monkey2010-09-20 18:14

    sweet I wish I could buy "toys" like that, lol

  35. #35DanRooks2010-09-22 10:37

    Great Pics Crawler Hauler. Do you have any data you can reports on the Undercarriage Wear and Tear also Fuel Consumption? Dan

  36. #36Crawler Hawler2010-09-22 18:16

    Mr. Rooks, I'll be back at work next week, I'll look up the fuel consumption numbers and give them to you. As far as U/C wear goes, our dozer has about 500 hrs on it so everything still looks great. We've got 5,000 hrs+ on our D9L U/C since a major.... and it still has plenty of life left. Tom.

  37. #37ronm2010-09-23 14:09

    Awesome, I dont like heights, would not be comfy up there

  38. #38DozerD102010-09-26 21:56

    Nice job on the road, we build haul roads Alberta oilsands, for CAT 797b haul trucks I love it!