I'm looking at purchasing a newer used dozer for use in my business. I've operated many different makes/models for others but have never gotten into the business end of the purchase. I've owned John Deere backhoes for the past 15 years but have an open mind on the dozer purchase since my latest Deere has had it's share of issues (new engine 3 years ago and now electrical gremlins:Banghead). I want to buy the best machine for my purpose and where I can allocate repair reserves knowing that it will reasonably make it to track/engine/maintenance overhaul times. My primary use will be backfilling and grading ditches I'm digging for geothermal heat pump loop installations. Most jobs have about 1500' of ditch to grade. There is always a lot of spoil since the ditches are 7-8' deep and up to 3' wide. I also expect some small driveway, house preparation jobs and maybe a fence clearing job or two once I get operational. I'm currently looking at the JD 450H/J and 550H/J, Cat 3/4 XL and possibly the Komatsu 31 series (I have never run/maintained a Komatsu but some on this forum may be able to give some sound advice). I currently use an International SA dump with a 15 ton double tandem to pull the backhoe so I don't want to get too heavy with a larger machine. I'm new to this forum but after lurking for some time have found it quite informative and all the members seem to be genuinely sincere in wanting to help.
Cat d5g? A 39 woul probably be the best...but ive always used a 39/31 cat tl or ctl with 4n1 for this
JD 450J would be a great pick. Easy to move around from job job, economical to operate, can be had in the present market for a reasonable price, good resale value, capable of doing much more than you discribe above. Overall one of the best dozer pound for pound, dollar for dollar. I have run crawlers all of my life and a jd 450j would be hard to beat for what you are doing. good luck and let us know what you end up with.:usa
Thanks for the recommendations. As far as the JD J model, I have spoken with operators around here about the 450H. Some of them have complained about uneven track speed and the relatively expensive fix. In your experience, does the J model have this problem?
I have run 450, 550, 650, all J's and did not notice uneven track speed. All of the controls are sharp and crisp to the feel. The H tractor were not as refined as the J's..........but still decent machines. I really don't think you could wrong with either....IMHO :usa
I was looking at all the same machines you are for a new fine grade dozer and cat just dropped off a new D3K XL. It basically came down to deere and cat because there isn't any resale value in the komatsu. Cat's new undercarriage was the biggest reason we took the cat over the deere (we've owned both of the deere dozers in the past and they're also good machines).
You won't go wrong with a Deere. Their 700 is my favorite dozer in the small to mid size range.
Opinion needed for dozer purchase: Hello TXGeoSolarPro, "Indexing"... one track starts before the other one... and uneven track speed can usually be resolved by calibrating the transmission, at least on the older (1997) Model 750Cs, like ours. OCR
Opinion needed for dozer purchase: Then again, however, it could require this: And you still have to calibrate the transmission. OCR...
I would recommend the John Deere 450H. Preferably with the angle blade and wide tracks . It is my all time favorite. I spent thousands of hours on dozers of all sizes and makes. That includes Caterpillar,John Deere,New Holland and Komatsu.
I'd like to add that after running the new D3K the glass cab is a lot better than the older models, and clean up of inside of the tracks is easier with the new layout. We really liked our 450j (we ran it for 4000 hrs with zero problems) but I think the new cat is winning over a lot of our deere guys.
Thanks for all the input. Is there a source that I can access to determine useful life left in the undercarriage? Lots of sellers that I have contacted have listed the undercarriage at anywhere from 50-90%. To the best of my recollection, all the parts do not wear at the same rate and when the sellers are asked what the various parts measure, all I get is an explanation that it "looks" like new or "looks" like 50% due to experience. Before I buy I want to measure so I know how much I need to budget for upcoming maintenance.
Measuring U/C You can get the new specs for the tractor U/C you're looking at, say a 450H, at the JD dealer and then take some calipers and measure it yourself. It's not hard to do and most dealers I've dealt with will help you out with questions you might have.
ALso, just so I'm straight on the percentage left, if for example the roller is 10" new and at 9 1/2" worn 100%, can I assume a measurement of 9 3/4" would be 50% worn?